Thread: Estate Agents, Renting and Contents Insurance.

Name
    Ade

Default Estate Agents, Renting and Contents Insurance.

Can an estate agent FORCE you (ie write it into the contract) to have CONTENTS insurance when you rent a flat/house ? I am not talking about buildings insurance here - just your own personal contents insurance?

Where would I find out about the law on this subject? cheers guys

izza is offline Hey look at that Peugot 406! Oh no it's a Ferrari 360 Club Member
    Name
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Ade View Post
    Can an estate agent FORCE you (ie write it into the contract) to have CONTENTS insurance when you rent a flat/house ? I am not talking about buildings insurance here - just your own personal contents insurance?

Are the contents yours or is the rental property furnished?

Presume that either way there is overlap such as curtains or carpets. House/contents insurance has a NCB just like car insurance. It would be crafty of the landlord (but clearly not impossible) for him to repeatedly claim for new carpets (most probably via a mate's carpet warehouse) from every outgoing lodger. Insurance companies would see different names and landlord looks clean as a whistle.
    Enzo sold road cars to fund racing. He had a distaste for customers who bought his cars for prestige rather than performance.

i.e. With Ferrari's - Number plates are for numpties!

t1grm is offline It's basically an old car with a stripe - The Ferrari Challenge Stradale Club Member
    ii

If itís furnished then I can see why they would want you to do this but not if itís unfurnished. What business of theirs is it if you do or do not insure your own possessions? Carpets would normally come under buildings insurance, as would the kitchen and bathroom fittings.

Name
    Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by Ade View Post

If you agree to it, yes they can write it in. A simple contract consists of an offer, an acceptance and an intention to create legal relations. If all three are present then you have a contract. So it's not so much a legal question as it is a question of what you and the estate agent agrees to.

I would scratch that from the contract whether it is furnished or unfurnished; in the end, if its furnished and you destroy everything, there goes your rent deposit plus they may ask you to pay more to cover any excess damage. The risk is therefore on you and that's probably why they are asking for the insurance. There is no legal reason for it (unlike motor insurance for cars and, I think, life insurance for mortgages (not 100% sure though))

Name
    Ade

Its Furnished. Then obviously I have my personal effects scattered around as well. Interesting comments, thanks