Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: F430 Spider understeer?

Name
    David Yu

Default F430 Spider understeer?

After my abbreviated outing at Bedford Autodrome yesterday, I have to say I was very disappointed with the lack of front end grip of my F430 Spider. At this rate, I will do 2 sets of fronts by the time I give it back in a couple of months!

Watching the old Top Gear today when Jezza and Luca Badoer caned the F430 Coupe and Spider around Dunsfold, I reckon there is something amiss on my car.

One thing I have noticed is the very high ride height of the front of my car; it clears speed bumps with ease! Does anyone know if UK F430s are set up to match the Chelsea tractors?

Should I expect Maranello Egham to set up the suspension to my liking? Or just take it to an alignment shop and get it done at my own expense?

Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by David_Yu View Post
    After my abbreviated outing at Bedford Autodrome yesterday, I have to say I was very disappointed with the lack of front end grip of my F430 Spider. At this rate, I will do 2 sets of fronts by the time I give it back in a couple of months!

Watching the old Top Gear today when Jezza and Luca Badoer caned the F430 Coupe and Spider around Dunsfold, I reckon there is something amiss on my car.

One thing I have noticed is the very high ride height of the front of my car; it clears speed bumps with ease! Does anyone know if UK F430s are set up to match the Chelsea tractors?

Should I expect Maranello Egham to set up the suspension to my liking? Or just take it to an alignment shop and get it done at my own expense?

David

They all do it, well the ones ive had the pleasure to spank around the track.

Try coming off the gas to balance the car in the turn and put the cars weight back to the front wheels .

This will give you the ideal front end grip through corners!!!

Failing that Just trade it for a CS no prob here

Name
    Lewis

430 rides a bit higher anyway, but you still have to be a bit careful sometimes (you can catch the under tray on dips in the road), I know the car isnt as low as things like the GT3 and Gallardo though, they touch, scrape and rub things a lot of the time.
    You can have them lowered, a load of people seem to in the USA, but you know what some of the Americans are like with Ferraris, they ruin them by messing them around too much.
    We didnt think the 430 was too bad around the track, it was pushed, but not near its limits. Which unless you do, its hard to find many faults (if any).

David,

Presumably you do have the manetino set to race mode?

If you do, and assuming the car is set up right, then as Joe has said, it's a matter of using less throttle in the bend.

Jas

Name
    Douglas

The reason Americans drop the cars is that FNA set them up at a higher initial level than the European spec

Name
    Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by trax View Post
    The reason Americans drop the cars is that FNA set them up at a higher initial level than the European spec
    True, just remembered that. Some of them do go even lower than EU spec cars as well.

Name
    David Yu

Er, you guys do know I am a motoring journalist/race driver and all-round driving god?

I know what makes a good handling car and I've driven a few F430s before, but not on track.

My Spider is a lot more floaty and less precise at the front end and I think it is due to the rake angle; what race engineers refer to as "power boating".

My question is whether I can expect the supplying dealer to adjust the suspension to my liking FOC (which would be the only reason I would use them for the job) or whether I should just take it to my race shop and get them to sort it at my expense.

Fraccie is offline Don't mention the war! I mentioned it once, but I think I got away with it all right Club Member
    Name
    Ade

Turn all the crap off and learn to drive.....
    4052'31.17"N............. 2920'25.48"E

SteveP Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Fraccie View Post
    Turn all the crap off and learn to drive.....
    or buy a gt3 rs

Fraccie is offline Don't mention the war! I mentioned it once, but I think I got away with it all right Club Member
    Name
    Ade

Quote Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
    or buy a gt3 rs
    Or a Focus ST....
    4052'31.17"N............. 2920'25.48"E

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast