Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ferrari 355

Name
    The Don

Default Ferrari 355

Hi

I have been offered a 1996 355 GTB red with cream hide with 25k miles. It had a belt service in 2005 and is due an annual in September of this year. The owner has accepted 42500 from 45000. It has a FSH however he has told me it has only missed one annual in its lifetime (should I worry about this). Overall in its excellent condition. Subject to a PPI should I go for it.

Opinions please

jos is online now Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Club Member
    Name
    jos

Quote Originally Posted by The Don View Post
    it has only missed one annual in its lifetime (should I worry about this).

There was quite a discussion about this recently and the conclusion seemed to be that the missing service should not be an issue depending on how long ago it was (the longer the better) and what mileage was done either side

Name
    X

Hi

I have been offered a 1996 355 GTB red with cream hide with 25k miles. It had a belt service in 2005 and is due an annual in September of this year. The owner has accepted 42500 from 45000. It has a FSH however he has told me it has only missed one annual in its lifetime (should I worry about this). Overall in its excellent condition. Subject to a PPI should I go for it.

Opinions please
    My opinion would be it's slightly overpriced as you'll be spending a fair bit on servicing in the next 12 to 18 months. The belts are obviously due in 2008 but has he told you when. I would naturally assume he had them done with the service in Sep but I'd check as it could need belts earlier than expected.

Also, does it need an annual service or a 6k service. The annual on the 355 is normally a lube check, etc if you haven't done the miles and is normally cheaper depending on where you go.

I'd try to negotiate the annual service into the price.

Name
    Amo

Hi

Opinions please
    What is the mileage difference between the missed service to the next one?

Name
    Nil further

I recently purchased a 96 355GTB for 34.5k a UK car fulll Graypaul history , clutch and some trivia needed after Graypaul inspection .Car was mint with 24ooo miles.

IMHO 40k plus is way over the odds for the car.If you part exed at a dealer you would get around 33k depending on the deal (ask your local dealer )?

Good luck
    NF

Name
    The Don

Quote Originally Posted by Nil further View Post
    I recently purchased a 96 355GTB for 34.5k a UK car fulll Graypaul history , clutch and some trivia needed after Graypaul inspection .Car was mint with 24ooo miles.

IMHO 40k plus is way over the odds for the car.If you part exed at a dealer you would get around 33k depending on the deal (ask your local dealer )?

Good luck
    NF
    Where did you find this car for that price? If the belts are done before I buy is it way over the odds for the car? I have seen some cars at the 40K mark with much more miles for the same money.
    Last edited by The Don; 16-04-2007 at 07:31 PM.

Name
    The Don

Quote Originally Posted by amo View Post
    What is the mileage difference between the missed service to the next one?

I will get the service history records faxed to me and I will let you know.

tonyh is offline Bus station dosser Club Member
    Name
    Tony H

me , Ade and Fraser each sold a rosso/crema spider -96N , 97P & R- mileage around 25k last year @ 43k average last April. I agree with Kam you're paying retail money for this particualr car. IMHO, it should be serviced , PPI /HPI clear and be nigh on spotless to be making anything like the asking price .
    Dion's your best for an unbiased opinion tho

Name
    Amo

You can get a 355 Spider with 20k for less at Verdi's:

http://www.verdiferrari.biz/stock.asp?s=192

Name
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Nil further View Post
    I paid similar money just a few weeks ago for a 96 355GTB, Rosso and Nero, UK car, full JCT600 and Italia Autosport history, new clutch. Belt service due in about 6 months. Car was truly immacalate (to me, 'mint' means indistinguishable from a new car) with 35k miles.

If you're willing to be patient and be prepared to drive the length/breadth of the country if necessary, you'll save 's. If, on the other hand, you don't want to be bothered with the hassle and don't want to wait, then by all means go ahead. However, being impatient comes at a price. I would say the car you describe is worth IRO 38k.

Regarding the comment you made about seeing other cars with more miles advertised for the same money, you need to ask yourself the following questions: 1) How long have they been for sale? and 2) What was the final SALE price? If you're dealing with an unmotivated seller (doesn't really want to sell the car and doesn't really need the money), you can expect the asking price to be pretty high. If, on the other hand, you're dealing with a motivated seller who needs the money, you'll likely get a cracking deal. Again, just comes down to luck and being patient. Also, always try and budget for the unexpected... what if the exhaust manifolds need doing after you purchase? What if the cats go? If you can save a few grand when you purchase the car, it helps subsidise anything unexpected that might go wrong. Servicing and repairs on these cars is expensive, so make sure your budget allows for that.

Cheers,
    Ian.
    Last edited by ian_uk1975; 17-04-2007 at 10:24 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast