Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24

Thread: 355: Possible keys nightmare...

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Northampton
    Name
    Ian
    Posts
    354

    Default 355: Possible keys nightmare...

    I can't find the keys to my 355 and, after having had a reasonably thorough search around the house, trouser/jacket pockets, the garage, etc, am getting that sinking feeling that they maybe lost (although I have no idea how).

    If the worst comes to the worst and I cannot find my keys after an exhaustive search, what are my options and what is the likely financial hit?

    By the way, is there any way to pop-open the luggage compartment lid from the outside? I don't expect anyone to publicise how to do it, if it's possible, but I'd certainly appreciate a PM if it is, as it's just possible that I may have locked the keys inside the luggage compartment.

    Cheers,
    Ian.

  2. #2
    GrahamS's Avatar
    GrahamS is offline Crop rotation in the 14th century was CONSIDERABLY more widespread after John... Admin dude
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    NW Kent
    Name
    GrandmasterG
    Posts
    23,649

    Default

    I've amended the thread title to include the model in the problem description
    http://www.clubscuderia.co.uk/forum/...ad.php?t=15844

  3. #3
    Terry's Avatar
    Terry is offline Looks like a 308 to me? -The Ferrari 288 GTO Expert
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Northwich, Cheshire
    Name
    Terry
    Posts
    2,917

    Default

    I was short of a spare key. Blanks can be obtained from Ferrari UK but they also told me that they can provdie a key to match a chassis number with proof of ownership etc.

    I ended up obtaining a blank to be on the safe side but they must be worth a try for you.

    That would at least get you into the car. They can also match an alarm provided it is an original fit.

  4. #4
    Murph7355's Avatar
    Murph7355 is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Here there and everywhere
    Name
    Murph
    Posts
    14,313

    Default

    Is it just keys or the alarm fobs too?

    I think it depends on the year of the car if it's alarm fobs too. Do you have the sort of alarm that came with a red fob?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Northampton
    Name
    Ian
    Posts
    354

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Murph7355 View Post
    Is it just keys or the alarm fobs too?

    I think it depends on the year of the car if it's alarm fobs too. Do you have the sort of alarm that came with a red fob?
    It's the fob too. Unfortunately, I don't have the master fob; just one black fob.

    The car is a '96 and it's a factory-fit alarm.

    Can Maranello supply replacement fobs given my VIN and proof of ownership?

    If I manage to get the driver's door open in order to pop the luggage compartment lid, obviously the alarm will go off. If I turn-off the power at the master switch in the luggage compartment, will that silence the alarm?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Northampton
    Name
    Ian
    Posts
    354

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    I was short of a spare key. Blanks can be obtained from Ferrari UK but they also told me that they can provdie a key to match a chassis number with proof of ownership etc.

    I ended up obtaining a blank to be on the safe side but they must be worth a try for you.

    That would at least get you into the car. They can also match an alarm provided it is an original fit.
    Thanks Terry... my main concern is around the alarm/immobiliser fob, as I don't have the red master fob.

  7. #7
    Murph7355's Avatar
    Murph7355 is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Here there and everywhere
    Name
    Murph
    Posts
    14,313

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ian_uk1975 View Post
    ...Can Maranello supply replacement fobs given my VIN and proof of ownership?

    If I manage to get the driver's door open in order to pop the luggage compartment lid, obviously the alarm will go off. If I turn-off the power at the master switch in the luggage compartment, will that silence the alarm?
    Unfortunately I don't think they can. But you can but ask.

    Not sure on the siren. It does have a battery back up, so it may be that once it goes off, it'll keep going off until that runs down. Have never tried it though, so couldn't say for sure.

    For anyone else searching the threads in future, the red fob is absolutely essential when buying these cars. It's the "key" for setting up all other fobs and AIUI, if you lose it you need the whole lot replacing. Ian - if you contact Ferrari GB and they say anything different, please post here.

    Good luck getting it fixed.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Toulouse (FRANCE)
    Name
    Eric DECOUX
    Posts
    127

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Murph7355 View Post
    For anyone else searching the threads in future, the red fob is absolutely essential when buying these cars. It's the "key" for setting up all other fobs and AIUI, if you lose it you need the whole lot replacing. Ian - if you contact Ferrari GB and they say anything different, please post here.

    Good luck getting it fixed.
    If you have only one black fob, find another one from another car (sometimes available on ebay ...) and I can clone it to work on your car without the need of the red fob.
    Make a search with my pseudo, I post the method some times ago ...

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    huddersfield
    Name
    steveb
    Posts
    930

    Default

    if you have no red fob you may have to buy new ecu you might be better seeing about getting a set of a car broken for spares perhaps, if you dont find your keys,saying that ive never needed the red key so its possible just to get new alarm,imobiliser and keys

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Northampton
    Name
    Ian
    Posts
    354

    Default

    Think I may have to get a new key cut by Maranello's.

    Anyone done this and know exactly what info they need and how long it takes?

    Also, is the ONLY way to deal with the immobiliser/alarm without ANY fobs to get a new ECU('s)? If so, any idea on total cost incl. labour to fit?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. 355 Car Keys
    By 355OXO in forum Technical Q & A
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 28-02-2007, 06:32 PM
  2. 1987 328 door keys
    By FastLady in forum Technical Q & A
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 19-02-2007, 11:50 AM
  3. 355 cam timing.....
    By ferrari-spider in forum Technical Q & A
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-12-2006, 03:05 PM
  4. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 17-05-2006, 02:42 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •