Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 355: Possible keys nightmare...

Name
    Ian

Default 355: Possible keys nightmare...

I can't find the keys to my 355 and, after having had a reasonably thorough search around the house, trouser/jacket pockets, the garage, etc, am getting that sinking feeling that they maybe lost (although I have no idea how).

If the worst comes to the worst and I cannot find my keys after an exhaustive search, what are my options and what is the likely financial hit?

By the way, is there any way to pop-open the luggage compartment lid from the outside? I don't expect anyone to publicise how to do it, if it's possible, but I'd certainly appreciate a PM if it is, as it's just possible that I may have locked the keys inside the luggage compartment.

Cheers,
    Ian.

GrahamS is offline Crop rotation in the 14th century was CONSIDERABLY more widespread after John... Admin dude
    Name
    GrandmasterG

I've amended the thread title to include the model in the problem description
    http://www.clubscuderia.co.uk/forum/...ad.php?t=15844

Terry is offline Looks like a 308 to me? -The Ferrari 288 GTO Expert
    Name
    Terry

I was short of a spare key. Blanks can be obtained from Ferrari UK but they also told me that they can provdie a key to match a chassis number with proof of ownership etc.

I ended up obtaining a blank to be on the safe side but they must be worth a try for you.

That would at least get you into the car. They can also match an alarm provided it is an original fit.

Murph7355 is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Club Member
    Name
    Murph

Is it just keys or the alarm fobs too?

I think it depends on the year of the car if it's alarm fobs too. Do you have the sort of alarm that came with a red fob?

Name
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Murph7355 View Post
    Is it just keys or the alarm fobs too?

I think it depends on the year of the car if it's alarm fobs too. Do you have the sort of alarm that came with a red fob?
    It's the fob too. Unfortunately, I don't have the master fob; just one black fob.

The car is a '96 and it's a factory-fit alarm.

Can Maranello supply replacement fobs given my VIN and proof of ownership?

If I manage to get the driver's door open in order to pop the luggage compartment lid, obviously the alarm will go off. If I turn-off the power at the master switch in the luggage compartment, will that silence the alarm?

Name
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    I was short of a spare key. Blanks can be obtained from Ferrari UK but they also told me that they can provdie a key to match a chassis number with proof of ownership etc.

I ended up obtaining a blank to be on the safe side but they must be worth a try for you.

That would at least get you into the car. They can also match an alarm provided it is an original fit.
    Thanks Terry... my main concern is around the alarm/immobiliser fob, as I don't have the red master fob.

Murph7355 is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Club Member
    Name
    Murph

Quote Originally Posted by ian_uk1975 View Post
    ...Can Maranello supply replacement fobs given my VIN and proof of ownership?

If I manage to get the driver's door open in order to pop the luggage compartment lid, obviously the alarm will go off. If I turn-off the power at the master switch in the luggage compartment, will that silence the alarm?
    Unfortunately I don't think they can. But you can but ask.

Not sure on the siren. It does have a battery back up, so it may be that once it goes off, it'll keep going off until that runs down. Have never tried it though, so couldn't say for sure.

For anyone else searching the threads in future, the red fob is absolutely essential when buying these cars. It's the "key" for setting up all other fobs and AIUI, if you lose it you need the whole lot replacing. Ian - if you contact Ferrari GB and they say anything different, please post here.

Good luck getting it fixed.

Name
    Eric DECOUX

Quote Originally Posted by Murph7355 View Post
    For anyone else searching the threads in future, the red fob is absolutely essential when buying these cars. It's the "key" for setting up all other fobs and AIUI, if you lose it you need the whole lot replacing. Ian - if you contact Ferrari GB and they say anything different, please post here.

Good luck getting it fixed.
    If you have only one black fob, find another one from another car (sometimes available on ebay ...) and I can clone it to work on your car without the need of the red fob.
    Make a search with my pseudo, I post the method some times ago ...

Name
    steveb

if you have no red fob you may have to buy new ecu you might be better seeing about getting a set of a car broken for spares perhaps, if you dont find your keys,saying that ive never needed the red key so its possible just to get new alarm,imobiliser and keys

Name
    Ian

Think I may have to get a new key cut by Maranello's.

Anyone done this and know exactly what info they need and how long it takes?

Also, is the ONLY way to deal with the immobiliser/alarm without ANY fobs to get a new ECU('s)? If so, any idea on total cost incl. labour to fit?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast