Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cat D cars

Name
    Mal H

Default Cat D cars

Just wondering about the general feeling on buying Cat D cars?

I have seen a few advetised now at obviously a few grand less than the going rate and wondered if they are a good buy or hard to sell on?

Name
    Al

Always more difficult to sell on, but it's a good way of getting a car that otherwise would be out of one's reach.
    Main point is it must be repaired properly - there is usually a reason that the salvager hasn't passed it directly to a close associate - they will normally have a very close working relationship with a repairer or two who get first choice of the best stuff!
    If you are capable of doing the repair yourself then it could well be cost effective, however if you need to pay to have it done then it will rarely make sense if you take the lower resale value into account.
    It's also worth taking pics right through the job to show any potential purchaser the extent of the repair & the quality of the work - any decent repairer would be delighted to do this.
    Al.
    Last edited by Al; 12-08-2007 at 10:15 AM.

Murph7355 is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Club Member
    Name
    Murph

As with all things, if it's priced properly it should sell. Eventually.

Think the general rule of thumb is at least 25% less than a kosher car. However personally I wouldn't buy one even at that - you simply don't know what was wrong with it, how it's been repaired (unless you do all of thgis yourself) nor how long it could take you to sell it later. Just not worth the hassle.

PS I would, of course, revise this opinion if someone has a 250GT SWB cat car that they'd like to sell for 100k

Name
    Oded

I bought a Cat D Saab for about 25% less. Sold it for about 25% less.

Only, the 25% at purchase time was about 4k, while at selling time it only amounted to 1k. So financially you cold claim it was a wise move. It served my flawlessly during the 4 years I have had it (not a single problem).

It did take awhile to sell though - some people would not touch it with a barge pole.

Name
    SIMON

I would not have a problem with buying a lower end of the market cat D repaired car, but i certainly would not buy a performance car that had been an accident damaged car.

Even though the car quite possibly had been repaired to a very high standard i would always have doubt as to its integrity whilst using it at high speed

Just IMO

Name
    360trev

Default Insurance Category Codes

The Association of British Insurers (ABI) Code categories of accident damaged vehicles are outlined as follows;

Category A:
    Scrap only - this vehicle should have been crushed. It should never reappear on the road and there are no economically salvageable parts. It is of value only for scrap metal - e.g. a totally burnt-out vehicle.

Category B:
    The bodyshell should have been crushed. The vehicle should never reappear on the road, but it can be broken for spare parts plus any residual scrap metal. Where a vehicle has sustained serious damage, is beyond economical repair and cannot be safely repaired. The vehicle should not be repaired but sold for parts only to authorised breakers / dismantlers.

Category C:
    Vehicle extensively damaged and insurer has decided not to repair. A vehicle where the repairs are assessed by the inspecting engineer as, exceeding the pre-accident market value. Can be repaired and put back on the road. Has to pass an inspection to be re-registered as damaged repaired.

Category D:
    Vehicle damaged and insurer has decided not to repair. Where the cost of repairs do not exceed the value of the vehicle but either the insurer or the insured does not want to repair the vehicle. When fixed can be re-registered as damaged repaired. Expect a CAT D damaged repaired car to be worth only 50-66% of book value.

Category F:
    Vehicle damaged by fire and insurer has decided not to repair. When fixed can be re-registered as damaged repaired.

Stolen Recovered: Minimal Damage
    Where the insurer has settled the claim with the policyholder and then the stolen vehicle is found and the vehicle has no damage or very little damage in respect of the value of the vehicle.

Name
    Mal H

I have seen a car that was fire damaged and repaired by Nick Cartwright, but i'm sure the dealer said it was a Cat D?

Name
    360trev

Quote Originally Posted by Malh001 View Post
    I have seen a car that was fire damaged and repaired by Nick Cartwright, but i'm sure the dealer said it was a Cat D?
    Fire damage should be CAT F. Perhaps the dealer did not properly understand the categories fully? A lot of people colloquially refer to insurance write off's as 'cat d' when as can be seen there are a lot of different categories.

Obviously the question you need to ask yourself is whether the general populous know the difference either! If people dont know F from D they are certainly much less likely to want to buy the car in the first place. This will most certainly reduce its market value substantially even if the vehicle repairs are of good quality.

rmdferrari is offline Crop rotation in the 14th century was CONSIDERABLY more widespread after John... Banned user
    Name
    Richard

Didn't know the difference between "C" and "D", but do now, also had no idea what "F" was..... ta Trev.

355OXO (Simon) had a 355 Spider which was Cat D. Bought it for 35k ish and sold for a similar figure a year or so later. I think this was about 20% less than of a non D vehicle.

Simon... is this accurate?

Name
    Mal H

I wasn't aware there was a Cat F until today. There is a 348 at Verdi's advertised as Cat D which has only had minimal fire damage?

I guess at the end of it, if you buy a car for x amount and enjoy it for a number of years then sell it for a few grand less than a non Cat D car its not a problem.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast