Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: what to buy and what to read?

Name
    clive

Default what to buy and what to read?

Hi,
    For many years I have lusted after a Ferrari and I am almost in a position to buy but still want to do my homework before I take the leap. Realistically this will probably be next year when I have learnt some more. The current budget is upto 30K without borrowing, although that would clean me out and might leave me exposed if a big bill should arise. I dont really want to borrow and so I ask if from experience this is realistically enough or should I wait a bit longer and save a bit more? As for model .. well im undecided. I love them all
    I started with sights on a mondial as a good introduction and then thought a 308 and then a 328 and then a 348. I would dearly love a nice 348. When I made enquiries last year (before I found this site) I was told to avoid the 348 at this price range and buy a 328. I didnt know if this was good advice and if this was also true of the mondial T (as I understand they share the same engine).

I would welcome peoples opinions on buying and running a 348 or a mondial T
    in this budget. Having only recently found this forum I am still digesting the wealth of information and apologise if its all here and I have not found it.

I love reading the running reports and wish there were more for me to read and when I do make the leap I will sure be a contributor.
    thanks all.

Angelis is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Club Member
    Name
    Sy

Welcome Clive.

Quote Originally Posted by monstergrowler View Post
    When I made enquiries last year (before I found this site) I was told to avoid the 348 at this price range and buy a 328. I didnt know if this was good advice .....
    It was crap advice from someone who does'nt know anything about 348's.

If you decide to go for a 348, it'll be a hard search. There's a few people on this forum who have been looking without success.

steve f is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Banned user
    Name
    steve

Quote Originally Posted by Angelis View Post
    Welcome Clive.

It was crap advice from someone who does'nt know anything about 348's.

If you decide to go for a 348, it'll be a hard search. There's a few people on this forum who have been looking without success.
    its good advice 328 is a better car and cheaper to run and better looking than a 348

Angelis is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Club Member
    Name
    Sy

I was told to avoid the 348 at this price range and buy a 328.
    ooops...I misread it.

The 328 is cheaper to run as Steve said. For 30K, you could find yourself a good 348 and probably a good 328, but you have to take into account running costs which can be 000's on a 348.

Name
    jos

It sounds like your realistic budget is 25 to leave 5 just in case

That means a 328 is more likely & sensible although if you are very lucky something like WillW's 348 in LHD may come up for about 20

For background reading there are good primers in 'resources' here and also www.the348.com

stimo is offline Frankenstein's monster - The Ferrari F430 Banned user
    Name
    a

Hi,
    For many years I have lusted after a Ferrari and I am almost in a position to buy but still want to do my homework before I take the leap. Realistically this will probably be next year when I have learnt some more. The current budget is upto 30K without borrowing, although that would clean me out and might leave me exposed if a big bill should arise. I dont really want to borrow and so I ask if from experience this is realistically enough or should I wait a bit longer and save a bit more? As for model .. well im undecided. I love them all
    I started with sights on a mondial as a good introduction and then thought a 308 and then a 328 and then a 348. I would dearly love a nice 348. When I made enquiries last year (before I found this site) I was told to avoid the 348 at this price range and buy a 328. I didnt know if this was good advice and if this was also true of the mondial T (as I understand they share the same engine).

I would welcome peoples opinions on buying and running a 348 or a mondial T
    in this budget. Having only recently found this forum I am still digesting the wealth of information and apologise if its all here and I have not found it.

I love reading the running reports and wish there were more for me to read and when I do make the leap I will sure be a contributor.
    thanks all.
    Hi Clive,

i've been thinking of getting a 328 recently and after a conversation with a trader friend of mine re prices he has seen 328's and 550's being offered around, when i get back from Peru i might take the plunge. Really do like 328's and im not sure i will lose much money on it through depreciation.

348 is not a Ferrari that i have ever liked, so if i were you i'd be looking 550, 308, 328 !!!!!

Name
    Si

Quote Originally Posted by stimo View Post
    Hi Clive,

i've been thinking of getting a 328 recently and after a conversation with a trader friend of mine re prices he has seen 328's and 550's being offered around, when i get back from Peru i might take the plunge. Really do like 328's and im not sure i will lose much money on it through depreciation.

348 is not a Ferrari that i have ever liked, so if i were you i'd be looking 550, 308, 328 !!!!!
    Chris he's talking 30k tops, you're never gonna get a 550 for them prices unless it's cat c or d

WillW is offline Frankenstein's monster - The Ferrari F430
    Name

With your budget I would try get good 348 and leave the rest for maintenance budget. Don't believe everything that people says about them (many haven't even owned one). Most of the problems in them are long ago sorted and they are great cars.

(decent 550 starting >40k)

steve f is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Banned user
    Name
    steve

Quote Originally Posted by WillW View Post
    With your budget I would try get good 348 and leave the rest for maintenance budget. Don't believe everything that people says about them (many haven't even owned one). Most of the problems in them are long ago sorted and they are great cars.

(decent 550 starting >40k)
    i have owned both

WillW is offline Frankenstein's monster - The Ferrari F430
    Name

Quote Originally Posted by steve f View Post
    i have owned both
    What is better in 328?
    At least 348 looks better and is faster

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast