Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Pre War Single Seater

Dale is offline Looks like a 308 to me? -The Ferrari 288 GTO Expert
    Name
    Dale

brill please keep the picture's coming.

Name
    Si

That's superb , I just love to see all those spanking new nuts bolts cogs and other bits and bobs, excellent work

GrahamS is offline Crop rotation in the 14th century was CONSIDERABLY more widespread after John... Admin dude
    Name
    GrandmasterG

Fantastic Keep em coming

Thanks for all your kind words, much appreciated. A fw more pic's below, again in no particular order. Although I've made many parts on modern machines, no part has been drawn that could not be manufactured on manual machines as available pre-war. In away this helped the design asit prevents you being too extreme.

When scratch building a car you get to a point that looks about 80% complete quite quickly (perhaps 1 year), but its the details that took the time. Below are two photos, one of the gear lever and another of the pulleys that guide the brake cables. Important parts but just small details. Every part of these started as a solid lump of aluminium, steel, wood........ First you draw it, then you machine it, then you assemble it! The gearlever alone took about 3 weeks of spare time, its not my full time job, just a few hours here and there!

The 3rd pic are the brackets that tension the leather bonnet straps, there are 4 off them, each one has 3 unique parts and bolts and washers all machined from solid.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

The car is approaching completion as shown in the first picture, the others show the rear brake shoes, originals didn't fit my axle mods, so had to make new ones, the car willbe called the "Pea Green Special" so the badges are again machined from brass and hand painted.

Final picture shows the front bulkhead during fabrication, all the bulheads appear solid but are hollow fabrications, machined bobbins sit between 1mm steel frames. Alot of welding has been completed.
    Last edited by Harmitc; 27-01-2008 at 10:17 AM.

Name
    Mark

Awesome project, I'm sure lots of us on here would love to have the dedication to do something along these lines. If all this is done in your spare time I presume you are not married . My missus would probably leave me if I spent this much of my time on a similar project .................................................. .................................................. ......................................now there's an idea.

Fraccie is offline Don't mention the war! I mentioned it once, but I think I got away with it all right Club Member
    Name
    Ade

Superb, please keep the thread updated.

Can one of the mods sticky this for a while please?
    4052'31.17"N............. 2920'25.48"E

Fraccie is offline Don't mention the war! I mentioned it once, but I think I got away with it all right Club Member
    Name
    Ade

Any updates ......
    4052'31.17"N............. 2920'25.48"E

SteveP Guest

nice mate, my enxt door neighbours father in law does this, restored a reilly (sp) by hand and made all his own nuts bolts etc. He sold it at bonhams for a large amount of money a month or so ago and is now doing a new project

The car had its first roll out today, all the major work is complete but alot of details to finish, next job is the starter motor, then radiator, then start up! After that make a propshaft and a test drive.

Brakes, clutch,throttle, air pump, advance/retard, gearshift are all operational.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast