Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: "you might experience slight turbulance on landing " .....

Name
    Des

[QUOTE=ChrisP;348945]I have often wondered how the main landing gear stands the lateral forces in a crosswind situation.

Looking at the videos it appears the wheels are turned in the direction of travel. Is this correct?

QUOTE]

Cant comment on the larger Bus types (cant remeber actually!) but I do know the larger Boeings do exactly that....

No worries Dan, just hate to see a crew getting flack when not all the facts are commonly known.... these are the sort of things that can happen to any of us and hindsight is a wonderfull thing !

Name
    Chris Gilmartin

Quote Originally Posted by DesH View Post
    Cant comment on the larger Bus types (cant remeber actually!) but I do know the larger Boeings do exactly that....
    I seem to recall that B52 bombers can do this, and they're pretty old technology these days (although it might be a later addition I guess).
    CG

t1grm is offline It's basically an old car with a stripe - The Ferrari Challenge Stradale Club Member
    ii

Smile

Couple of articles here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crab_landing

This is similar to the De-Crab technique. The principal difference is the aircraft touches down whilst still crabbing. The position on the runway is corrected after touch down. This applies significant slip angle to the tires, and increases the lateral loads on the undercarriage, so this technique is bounded by speed restrictions and is not generally recommended.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Undercarriage

The B-52's landing gear is also unique in that all four pairs of main wheels can be steered. This allows the landing gear to line up with the runway and thus makes crosswind landings easier (using a technique called crab landing).

Name
    dan

Hindsight certainly is a wonderful thing, I agree with you on that one!

Without trying to stir things up even more, you have to ask why was runway 33 not given as an option! This is something the German authorities are going to be asking themselves...again there could be valid reasons for this....

I know we will have to agree to disagree on this one, but I still maintain if I flew into Hamburg on the day in question, as pilot in command of 200 passengers, unless the runway was blocked, I would request they open 33. At least then, If I flew a go around and subsequently diverted, I could tell my bosses that I exercised (various) options available to me.

Each pilot will have differing views on this (your easyjet pal for example) this is only my gut feeling If I were placed in that situation!! No one criticises you in my airline for making sensible, if sometimes cautious decisions!!

By the way, I don't know of anyone who has been given his/her P45 for erring on the side of caution!

Happy flying in the C172 and driving in the 348!

Dan

Name
    Candellara

Quote Originally Posted by flyinga320 View Post
    Hindsight certainly is a wonderful thing, I agree with you on that one!

Without trying to stir things up even more, you have to ask why was runway 33 not given as an option! This is something the German authorities are going to be asking themselves...again there could be valid reasons for this....

I know we will have to agree to disagree on this one, but I still maintain if I flew into Hamburg on the day in question, as pilot in command of 200 passengers, unless the runway was blocked, I would request they open 33. At least then, If I flew a go around and subsequently diverted, I could tell my bosses that I exercised (various) options available to me.

Each pilot will have differing views on this (your easyjet pal for example) this is only my gut feeling If I were placed in that situation!! No one criticises you in my airline for making sensible, if sometimes cautious decisions!!

By the way, I don't know of anyone who has been given his/her P45 for erring on the side of caution!

Happy flying in the C172 and driving in the 348!

Dan
    As i understand it Dan, 33 was given as an option but the pilot chose this runway.......for whatever reason. German authorities are now investigating this rationale

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234