Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone have a Porsche as well?

Name
    formerly dougalthespaniel

Default Does anyone have a Porsche as well?

My name is Doug & I'm a car addict ...

I've had great fun with my 360 F1 Spider over the last 2 years - 5 track days inc Spa, plus trips to south of France and north of Scotland [shudder to think of all these miles] but it's never been the most practical of cars. Plus we don't have a car that will take wife + 3 year old son as well as me. But selling the 360 would be painful plus prices are in free fall anyway. So, do I get a Porsche as well? Am I mad? If so, are there other mad people on here?

In order to assess interested readers to assess my degree of madness: I'm undecided which Porsche would be the one to get anyway. 996 turbos are 45k, which I could stretch to, but it would be a stretch. Plus if I'm keeping the 360 then I don't really need a top performance Porker as well. I do like convertibles and 996 cabs are mid to late 30s for a 5 year old car. 996 coupes are low to mid 30s for the same. (Interestingly, Porsche owners seem to have it in their heads that 5 year old cars will fall apart so you "have to" take the expensive Porsche warranty).

PS my last mad plan was to get a 3x8 for racing, but I decided that was madder than mad unless I get rid of the 360.

Name
    JW

I've had a few Porsche's (994 c4 cab, 996 gt3 mk2, 996 turbo S and currently a Carrera GT) and with the exception of the Carrera GT they've always made an excellent 'practical' compliment to a F car or Lambo that i've had . Not sure the warranty is 'expensive' at ~ £800 , have claimed on my warranties before and they've been excellent

isuk is offline Kid's bed - The Ferrari F50 Club Member
    Name
    Iain

The 997 has dropped to around the £40k mark for the earliest cars now and if you can stretch to this it is a much better car than the 996 - more power, improved handling, better styling, better interior, improved quality of materials, etc. The warranty at around £800 is worthwhile as these are still low volume cars and parts are therefore expensive.

Name
    Jules

just purchased a 996 C4S tip as my daily hack (360 CS in garage). I have 3 daughters, the youngest is 5. The wife has an X5, so the Porsche is used as a secondary car - ie, as long as I can pick up at least 2 of the kids in the car when asked, then I had approval for the car.

I've done about 2k miles in the car. Its not in the same league as the ferrari and neither would I want it to be, but as an everyday car, you can't beat it - plus prices for the 996 make sense.

Always seemed to have a porsche for the daily car for the last 9 years. We have 996C4S Cab that my wifes uses as her everyday car. Still think is the best looking of all the cabs including the 997. Alot more useable than the ferrari and almost as good sounding with the porsche sports exhaust (def must have!).

Also got Cayenne, boxster, 911 race car, GT........ Maybe like porsches a bit too much!

Name
    AL

Quote Originally Posted by Jules View Post
    I have 3 daughters...
    Oh boy is that gonna cost you in a few years

Name
    Dan

I have an on-off relationship with a Porsche 928S. I owned it for about 12 years, then gave it away to a guy who's rebuilding it. I hope to buy it back in a few months time.

Name
    Jules

Quote Originally Posted by burriana View Post
    Oh boy is that gonna cost you in a few years
    already started, haircuts, Clothes, trips....impact on the social life too

Name
    Steve Hennessy

I had a 996 Carrera 2 before I bought my Ferrari. I had it for 2 1/2 years without any problems at all. Excellent performance and maximum practicality. It chose not to use it as a daily user, but doubtless could have.

Servicing and parts are relatively cheap (I bought wipers from the dealer and they were cheaper than Halfords!) and the service I received from the main dealer in Sutton Coldfield was second to none.

Highly recommended from me.

Name
    formerly dougalthespaniel

Think the Porsche warranty is £900 these days, but I meant expensive in terms of "do you actually need it" rather than outright price.

There are a few 997s around 40k, but most of the ones you would actually want to buy are late 40s - and at that price I would rather get the 996 turbo. Cf the lessers 996s where there are loads of them around, genuine buyer's market.

Anyway I am obviously no madder than anyone else. Thanks everyone.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast