Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: When was the last time you..

Hud is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Club Member
    Name
    Rob

Default When was the last time you..

Saw someone thumbing a lift .

Whilst driving to work this morning I spotted someone 'thumbing' and it reminded me how common a sight it was back in the seventies....

IIrc they made it illegal (ironic given that several towns now have a car sharing scheme in place )

On a side note, has anyone here ever 'thumbed' ?
    Last edited by Hud; 16-05-2008 at 07:42 AM.

tonyh is offline Bus station dosser Club Member
    Name
    Tony H

saw a fella thumbing in devizes the other week ; 1st time in years

Name
    Si

Thumbed happily in UK and Israel True you don't see many these days maybe the odd weirdo on their way to a rock festival or summink, i'm always on the lookout for large breasted women thumbing but but sadly none around

Hud is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Club Member
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by barabus View Post
    Thumbed happily in UK and Israel True you don't see many these days maybe the odd weirdo on their way to a rock festival or summink, i'm always on the lookout for large breasted women thumbing but but sadly none around

{Hud imagines Barabus still looking for female tennis players scratching their arrrse }

t1grm is offline It's basically an old car with a stripe - The Ferrari Challenge Stradale Club Member
    ii

Still see it occasionally in Mainland Europe. Have never picked anyone up and have never done it myself.

steve f is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Banned user
    Name
    steve

was going to louth a few years ago in truck with mate to pick up a car seen these tight jeans and long blonde hair walking with thumb out very fit page 3 material from the rear my mate said i would of stopped so i did HE came running up to the truck mate started to panic its a man so we drove off

jtremlett is offline Overpriced piece of old tat - Ferrari 250 GTO Club Member
    Name
    J Tremlett

Quote Originally Posted by TDFStrad View Post
    ...IIrc they made it illegal (ironic given that several towns now have a car sharing scheme in place )...
    I don't think it's illegal is it? You see delivery drivers thumbing quite a lot, trade plates tucked under their arm. I suspect there are rather fewer these days because of all the constant banging on about security etc. I have given people lifts but often they 're not in places where it's very easy to stop or I've driven past before I've spotted them (and often my passenger seat is piled with junk!).

Jonathan

MalcH is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Club Member
    Name
    Malc Holden

Quote Originally Posted by jtremlett View Post
    ..... You see delivery drivers thumbing quite a lot, trade plates tucked under their arm.

Jonathan
    I thought they had just lost a car?

Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by jtremlett View Post
    I don't think it's illegal is it? You see delivery drivers thumbing quite a lot, trade plates tucked under their arm. I suspect there are rather fewer these days because of all the constant banging on about security etc. I have given people lifts but often they 're not in places where it's very easy to stop or I've driven past before I've spotted them (and often my passenger seat is piled with junk!).

Jonathan

No you are right. I quote.......

"
    Hitchhiking

Hitchhiking is not illegal in the UK, although hitchhiking on motorways is against the law. However, the British are very aware of personal safety and the risks involved in picking up hitchhikers. This can result in a long wait for a lift. You as a hitchhiker should also be mindful of the risks involved. Here are some tips on safer hitching:
    Travel with a friend: You are getting into a car with a stranger. You can't be too careful, especially if you're female, so it is recommended that you hitchhike in pairs. It may mean you're less likely to get picked up straight away, but at least you've put your safety first.
    Tell someone: Inform them where you're going and an approximate time of returning. Carry a mobile telephone if you can and if possible make a note of the number plate of the vehicle and text it to someone you know.
    Keep your wits about you: Don't hitchhike if you have been drinking or anything else that has affected your physical or mental state.
    If in doubt, turn it down: If a car pulls up and you don't like the look of the driver, or the way he/she behaves, then politely decline the offer of a lift. Trust your instincts. It is also a good idea to take a local map, just in case you are dropped off in an unfamiliar area. You cannot be too cautious."

steve f is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Banned user
    Name
    steve

remeber in the late seventys going to newquay there was hitchikers on every junction and roundabout

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast