Thread: Has there ever been a road-going 512S Replica?

Name
    Andrew Haine

Default Has there ever been a road-going 512S Replica?

I was looking at a few pics of this car yesterday and it really is painfully beautiful (think of some of those shots in 'Le Mans').

It got me thinking, has there ever been a road-going replica? Would it be possible with that shape (there are P4 replicas, so why not?). I think a road-replica would need a rear bumper of some sort as the back is very exposed.

I'm aware of a few track-only replicas.

Isn't this photo of Surtees 'flying' one at the 'Ring in 1970 a bit special?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

t1grm is offline It's basically an old car with a stripe - The Ferrari Challenge Stradale Club Member
    ii

Awesome car. If there were a road going replica I'd have one

rmdferrari is offline Crop rotation in the 14th century was CONSIDERABLY more widespread after John... Banned user
    Name
    Richard

Absolutely stunning.... one of my all time favourites. Nick Mason's is lovely.

(p.s. a 917 has been made road legal in the past, for Count Rossi of Martini fame.... so a 512 replica is surely no problem)

F355GTS is offline Shocking waste of good kevlar - The Ferrari Enzo Club Member
    Name
    Mark Collins

During a factory tour in June we saw David Piper's original 512S which is UK road registered

francisn is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Admin dude
    Name
    Francis Newman

Quote Originally Posted by F355GTS View Post
    During a factory tour in June we saw David Piper's original 512S which is UK road registered
    Mark, for treh sake off accuracy (Fravccie thinks I'm justg pedantic ) I think you'll find that was a 512M rather than 512S (although the chassis was originally started as an S). I'm sure he told us that the 512Ss were late arriving (due to strikes) and that he switched to a 917K for 1970. Then of course he had his accident. The only 512 he raced in period (as a team manager not as a driver) was a 512M at Le Mans 1971.