Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Porsche Cayman 3.4S

Name
    Paul

Default Porsche Cayman 3.4S

Got the hots for a Cayman 3.4 manual.

Any of you own one or know 'stuff' about them as an everyday runabout?

Best for now
    Paul

Name
    Tom

I've been looking at them recently, what did you want to know?

Name
    spice

EVO had a good write up in the last but one issue, i have a manual Boxster 3.4 RS60 fanatastic to own for every day, (when it's not been snowing )

Name
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by spice View Post
    EVO had a good write up in the last but one issue, i have a manual Boxster 3.4 RS60 fanatastic to own for every day, (when it's not been snowing )
    Hey Spice

I write for EVO and didn't see that write-up

If EVO say they are good - then they will be!

Particularly if John Barker did the road test - he's one of the best and has been around a long time.

Good bloke too

Oh - what conclusions did they/he come to

Name
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by tom View Post
    I've been looking at them recently, what did you want to know?
    Hi Tom

I am looking for people who actually own them and getting some feedback on ownership (issues/highlights/how they drive etc etc).

Want one as a daily driver and having had 30 plus 911's over millions of years ...
    feel a change coming on and really like the look of them to be honest.

But want a 3.4 S Manual car in Black with black with the right kit on it.

Thanks for the heads-up though

Paul

isuk is offline Kid's bed - The Ferrari F50 Club Member
    Name
    Iain

My other half had a 3.4S manual as a daily for just short of a year and racked up around 15000 miles in it. Fantastic car and it's probably the pick of the Porsche range as more than a few car mag's have said because you can drive it harder more of the time than say a 997 turbo or GT3. Perfect size for a B road thrash with superb handling. My only complaint (other than the looks which is subjective) was that the cabin can be a bit boomy but that's down to the design of the rear tailgate and if you check out sites like Caymanclub there may even be a fix. Servicing is relatively cheap to with two yearly/20k mile intervals and tyre wear isn't excessive in normal driving. The front end is prone to stone chips (our car was peppered after a lot of motorway miles) but a good bodyshop will charge around £600 or so for a front end respray which isn't bad IMHO. I'd highly recommend it

Edit: I should have added that I've owned a 997 C2, 997 C2S, 997 turbo, Boxster 987 2.7 (x 2) and currently have a Boxster 3.4 S (other half's car) so my comparison is based upon the other cars in Porsches current line up and I'd still say the Cayman is the pick for a £/performance fun factor. The forthcoming Cayman RS should be a belter.
    Last edited by isuk; 03-02-2009 at 11:26 AM.

Name
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by isuk View Post
    My other half had a 3.4S as a daily for just short of a year and racked up around 15000 miles in it. Fantastic car and it's probably the pick of the Porsche range as more than a few car mag's have said because you can drive it harder more of the time than say a 997 turbo or GT3. Perfect size for a B road thrash with superb handling. My only complaint (other than the looks which is subjective) was that the cabin can be a bit boomy but that's down to the design of the rear tailgate and if you check out sites like Caymanclub there may even be a fix. Servicing is relatively cheap to with two yearly/20k mile intervals and tyre wear isn't excessive in normal driving. The front end is prone to stone chips (our car was peppered after a lot of motorway miles) but a good bodyshop will charge around £600 or so for a front end respray which isn't bad IMHO. I'd highly recommend it
    Iain

You're a star man. Thats the kind of feedback I need

I've heard about the design of the rear tailgate (on the early cars) and thats now been resolved (?) I understand/hear ... through a new design of seal on the hatch. Simple but effective.

Truly appreciate that ... thanks a lot

Paul

Name
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by isuk View Post
    My other half had a 3.4S manual as a daily for just short of a year and racked up around 15000 miles in it. Fantastic car and it's probably the pick of the Porsche range as more than a few car mag's have said because you can drive it harder more of the time than say a 997 turbo or GT3. Perfect size for a B road thrash with superb handling. My only complaint (other than the looks which is subjective) was that the cabin can be a bit boomy but that's down to the design of the rear tailgate and if you check out sites like Caymanclub there may even be a fix. Servicing is relatively cheap to with two yearly/20k mile intervals and tyre wear isn't excessive in normal driving. The front end is prone to stone chips (our car was peppered after a lot of motorway miles) but a good bodyshop will charge around £600 or so for a front end respray which isn't bad IMHO. I'd highly recommend it

Edit: I should have added that I've owned a 997 C2, 997 C2S, 997 turbo, Boxster 987 2.7 (x 2) and currently have a Boxster 3.4 S (other half's car) so my comparison is based upon the other cars in Porsches current line up and I'd still say the Cayman is the pick for a £/performance fun factor. The forthcoming Cayman RS should be a belter.
    Iian

Like me then! I've owned 30 plus 911's over a million years and want a change.

The Mk2 Golf GTi was also a great car (although FWD of course) as you could
    take it by the "scruff of the neck and ring it out".

Dare I say that most Hi-Po cars are too fast and on the roads, its impossible and
    inpractical to use the whole performance range available. To me its about the
    handling and general way it drives and feels, rather than speed being the top
    priority.

I've heard that its a 'drivers car' - just what I am looking for if thats the case.

Using more of the performance, more of the time, sounds like a good deal.

Thanks again for that
    Paul

isuk is offline Kid's bed - The Ferrari F50 Club Member
    Name
    Iain

No worries Paul. The engine delivers an amazing amount of torque. Just for an experiment (I'd been on a 5 hour journey, was bored and was on the final 20 mile leg) I remember driving it along an A road with a variety of twisting corners, well sighted junctions and a couple of roundabouts. I managed the whole distance in 6th gear even though I had to drop down to 15mph at times. The car just picked up speed beautifully and at no point did it feel like I'd need to change down. Of course when you want to have fun (the whole point of thiscar) rowing through the box is a pleasure and you'd have to do something monumentally stupid to lose it on a corner. It's certainly a chassis that feels like it can handle a LOT more power If Porsche gave it the engine it deserves there would be no reason to buy a 911 IMHO unless you need the flexibilty of the two rear seats for young children.

Name
    Tom

The facelift is due to appear in 4-6 weeks so there'll be even more of the current model around. Now, if only my local OPC's insurance would let me drive one

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast