Thread: 355 Brake warning light

Name
    Clive

Default 355 Brake warning light

The "brake" warning light comes on occasionally on my 99 355. The manual says it's either low fluid or pad wear.I've checked the fluid, so I'm assuming it must need pads.
    How easy is it to change front/rear pads, and what should I replace them with, OEM or after-market?
    What should I pay for supply and fit for front, rear and both?
    Are the OEM available in a Fiat box for a much lower price, i.e. are they the same as used by another manufacturer?
    All advice/experiences would be useful

Name
    Philip

I seem to remember that Maranellos wanted about 250+vat for the fronts for mine. In contrast I think QV quoted me 120 for the same. This is some time ago so I may be a bit off. On the other hand it is not hard to do it yourself if you want. I think the 2 sets of standard front pads are about 80.

Name
    Dem

Quote Originally Posted by spidermanUK
    The "brake" warning light comes on occasionally on my 99 355. The manual says it's either low fluid or pad wear.I've checked the fluid, so I'm assuming it must need pads.
    How easy is it to change front/rear pads, and what should I replace them with, OEM or after-market?
    What should I pay for supply and fit for front, rear and both?
    Are the OEM available in a Fiat box for a much lower price, i.e. are they the same as used by another manufacturer?
    All advice/experiences would be useful
    Haven't you phoned Kikfit for a quote?!?!!?

Name
    Clive

Quote Originally Posted by Dem
    Haven't you phoned Kikfit for a quote?!?!!?
    I did go on their website, but then came to my senses!
    I'm currently surfing the net trying to find someone to sell me some Porterfield R4S pads, which all the US boys rave about!
    The curious thing I have discovered though is that the 355 uses the same pads as certain Porsche 911s and 928!
    I wonder what Porsche prices are like

tonyh is offline Bus station dosser Club Member
    Name
    Tony H

I'm currently surfing the net trying to find someone to sell me some Porterfield R4S pads, which all the US boys rave about!
    The curious thing I have discovered though is that the 355 uses the same pads as certain Porsche 911s and 928!
    Phone Mike @ QV, Clive.

Name
    Dem

I was kidding of course(!), but it would be interesting to see if thay would actually quote and how much it would be! Go on, dare ya!!!

ferrari-spider Guest

You can buy the same standard pads from any motor factors, they are the same as the Porsche and audi and cost £20ish. Changing the pads are a walk in the park. The front and rears are the same. Jack up one corner of the car after you have loosend the bolts and then take the wheel of.
    Open the front bonnet and take of the brake fluid lid.This is important becourse if ya dont ya cant take out and put in the new pads becourse the pistons in the caliper will not move.
    Use a good pair of plyers and grip the centure of the metal spring clip and squize until the top of the clip comes out from under the top of the caliper and then hinge the clip down away from the caliper/pads.
    Follow the brake sensor wire to the back of the caliper and unplug.
    Useing a blunt flat edge af a flat head screw driver, push the head in between the pad and the disk so as to push the pad away from the disk. This inturn will push back the caliper pistons so when the old pad is pulled out with the same plyers there will be ample room to put the new pad back in.Do this to all 4 front or indeed rear pads.
    One of the calipers will have the said brake sensor wire on, when the old pad is removed simply lay the new and old pad side by side and slide the wire/clip out of the old pad U grove and then slid it back onto the new pad U grove.
    Remember to copper slip the rear of the new pad making sure that none go onto the pad face.
    Once the pads have been replaced on one caliper, clip the sensor wire back into its home at the rear of the caliper and using them strong plyers squeze the centure of the spring clip back home into the upper part of the caliper. And replace the fluid lid under the bonnet.
    Job done kid, the whole job of doing the fronts or rear takes me 15min. easy
    Last edited by ferrarispider; 07-11-2005 at 05:15 PM.

Name
    Clive

Quote Originally Posted by ferrarispider
    You can buy the same standard pads from any motor factors, they are the same as the Porsche and audi and cost 20ish.
    Thanks for that Chaa
    I don't suppose you have the make and part no? Or can you tell me which Audi is the same?

ferrari-spider Guest

I can tell ya in the morning dude.