Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cutting down tree without telling neighbour

Name
    Ewan

Default Cutting down tree without telling neighbour

Doing some chunky landscaping work in our garden at the moment and there is a largish tree on the border at the foot of the garden. Its in our garden so our tree, but grown to such a state that we can't replace the fence with it there. Got someone felling it on Thursday but realised I havent told the neighbour (out of curtesy rather than permission). Is this the kind of thing that gets people uppity?

The tree doesn't add to the privacy in any way as there are plenty of other trees/shrubs remaining to do that. But it is an obvious thing in the skyline.

Name
    Jim

From experience of something similar, I personally wouldn't mention anything until after the deed is done.
    Some folk have an irrational feeling of entitlement to "their view".. even if that view is of the content of your garden.

Name
    Tony

It's your tree, so do what you want. Just make sure you check if you require planning permission first. A lot of the time you need that first

Name
    Nigel R

Quote Originally Posted by BigH View Post
    It's your tree, so do what you want. Just make sure you check if you require planning permission first. A lot of the time you need that first
    Good reason not to ask. Just chop it down in ignorance. Tell your neighbours and they might get a preservation order on the tree. Just fell it.

phillg is offline Looks like a 308 to me? -The Ferrari 288 GTO Club Member
    Name
    Phill Grimshaw

through experience,please ensure there is no TPO,'tree preservation order' on it,even though it is on your land.A call to the local council could save you a lot of expense and grief.
    Spider,or coupe? Just get one of each.

francisn is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Admin dude
    Name
    Francis Newman

Depends on how you want your relations with the neighbours to be in the future. Have you lived there long? How well do you know them already?

If you have an ongoing relationship with them and do it without telling them, then you are insulting that relationship - so tell them.

If you have no relationship and do it without telling them, them it is unlikely you are going to have a relationship anytime soon. That may not worry you. But you have to live next door to them and may need a favour one day. So I'd tell them.

They are not going to be able to get a protection order just like that. But yes, check there isn't a TPO already, though you should have been told that when you bought the house.

Name
    Ewan

I've never met the neighbours. Don't even know which house it is. So won't lose any sleep over that if turns sour. I think that I'll check with council in morning about TPO, and then just fell it. Can't be bothered to start comms with neighbours.

francisn is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Admin dude
    Name
    Francis Newman

No prob then. Go ahead and do it. You can probably find TPOs on the web if you can be bothered looking.

Name
    Francis Newman

What sort of tree is it btw?

Name
    Ewan

It's a tall one with leaves and twigs. That's about the extent of my knowledge I'm afraid.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast