Thread: Ferrari's and 92 Octane fuel

Name
    Mark J

Default Ferrari's and 92 Octane fuel

Just something that a friend of mine said to me the other day, which made me think!! How do Ferrari's in the US run on 92 octane fuel... Sorry gas?? I know the cars ECU is adjusted to work on the lower rating but surely that must have a devastating effect on performance, especially throttle response.

Those must be some sloppy Ferrari's, that would ruin the ownership aspect for me to know that my F430 is slower than all the other F430's in europe.

Anyone can shed any light on this subject, I would love to do a drag race between a UK spec car vs US to see what the differences are in performance.

Cheers.

Name
    John Steele

I believe that the US measurement for RON is different from the uk, so their 92 is actually our 95.

John.

MalcH is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Club Member
    Name
    Malc Holden

Yep steelej it is

Name
    G

and the US gallon is smaller so when you have a full UK gallon its bound to be a bit higher

Name
    Paul

Default US do not use RON

US gas pumps use 87 as their 'regualar gasoline'. They have premium fuels (89+) which I assume you would put in the Ferrari. But this is not a RON number. I thought they used MON but wiki suggests its AKI - see link. Also shows equivalence between octane ratings

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Researc...rement_methods

Name
    Mark J

The thing is that, their quoted horsepower on the manufacturer websites is less than euro equivalent!! So they must be slower.... Is that just a conversion thing too!!

Name
    Mark J

Also if you took a euro spec car over there you would be able to put US gas and it will work and not misfire?

Name
    G

American spec F40@s had more power than the euro spec ones