Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 355 2.7 won't start, help please

Name
    Marco

Default 355 2.7 won't start, help please

Hi all, in something that is freakishly reminiscent of my summer problems, my 355 refused to start this evening when wanting to return home from a friend's house. I am currently on a horrible train home so thought I'd do something useful and see if anyone can help....

When switching the ignition on, the Amber and red lights for the 1-4 bank illuminate and stay on. When I attempt to start the car, the engine turns over, the red light switches off, the Amber stays on. No bank catches and there is no unburnt fuel coming out of the exhaust.

Possible relevant other info:
    1) In the summer, an almost identical problem (minus the red light which never came on) was diagnosed as a badly connected after Market immobiliser which was not releasing one of the fuel pumps. Immobiliser guy "fixed" this when I got back to blighty saying he had now (possibly, if memory serves) switched the original fuel pump immobiliser channel to an engine ecu instead.

2) over v bumpy roads while driving today, the 1-4 Amber light did come on, but when I stopped the car, turned ignition off and restarted, the light disappeared

3) the other weekend I changed the 1-4 coil pack myself, I had a fiddle tonight and nothing seemed to be loose with it or anything

Plan is to head back to my mate's house tomorrow morning and try and effect a repair myself If possible with advice from here. Failing that, I will have te car taken to somewhere like autofficina if they are open on a Sunday

Any help suggestions much appreciated!

ronrob is online now Rear lights like a farm gate - The Ferrari 348 Club Member
    Name
    Ronald Brown

Bad luck. We can suppose that you have checked all the fuses?

Name
    Neil

Hi Marco, sorry to hear you are having trouble again.
    Could it be the after Market immobiliser again? I'm not sure how you would disconnect an immobiliser fuel cut and then connect it to the ECU unless he has interrupted a feed to the ECU. Do you know where he made the connections and disconnections?

Name
    Marco

Quote Originally Posted by ronrob View Post
    Bad luck. We can suppose that you have checked all the fuses?
    Nope, I haven't, my fingers were freezing off and I needed to get home so didn't have time! Fuses are in the footwell and in the boot if memory serves right? I can have a look at them tomorrow when I go back

Name
    Marco

Quote Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
    Hi Marco, sorry to hear you are having trouble again.
    Could it be the after Market immobiliser again? I'm not sure how you would disconnect an immobiliser fuel cut and then connect it to the ECU unless he has interrupted a feed to the ECU. Do you know where he made the connections and disconnections?
    Unfortunately I do not I managed to wiggle some of the immobiliser wires after getting into the footwell in case any connection may have come loose or something, but couldn't really see anything as the head torch I had on was not great and the immobiliser itself was inaccessible without removing more of the interior trim which by that stage I could not be bothered to do

Name
    Ronald Brown

Meant to say fuses AND relays. As you know if it's the immobiliser that's a lot more tricky. Spraying aerostart (engine starter fluid) for a few seconds into the air intake would show if it is a fuel issue (for whatever reason).
    Good luck!

Name
    Marco

Quote Originally Posted by ronrob View Post
    Meant to say fuses AND relays. As you know if it's the immobiliser that's a lot more tricky. Spraying aerostart (engine starter fluid) for a few seconds into the air intake would show if it is a fuel issue (for whatever reason).
    Good luck!
    Silly question, but how will this show if it's a fuel issue? Will the engine catch briefly?

Name
    Ronald Brown

Quote Originally Posted by Mario149 View Post
    Silly question, but how will this show if it's a fuel issue? Will the engine catch briefly?
    Not a silly question. Yup, a can of the stuff is pretty useful. A few seconds into the air intake is a sure fire (!) way to tell if the non start is due to no fuel. You've got it. If the engine fires up you've got a fuel problem; if not, it's electrics. (Well it's true most of the time). You can get a can in Halfords. Lorry drivers use it to start cold, reluctant diesels!

Name
    Neil

Do the easier things first as ronrob listed, then move onto the immobiliser.
    If you can, test all the fuses with a tester, I've seen people check them by eye and not noticed they are blown.

Name
    Marco

Quote Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
    Do the easier things first as ronrob listed, then move onto the immobiliser.
    If you can, test all the fuses with a tester, I've seen people check them by eye and not noticed they are blown.
    Will do, I'll take a multimeter with me I'm praying it's just a fuse, I can't be bothered to have loads of hassle today, I've just been knocked sideways by the flu over night

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast