Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Ferrari ? Advice sought....

Name
    Spy

Default Ferrari ? Advice sought....

Hi all,

I and new here and currently own a Porsche 996 Turbo and have been considering moving into a Ferrari or an older Porsche.

The car is third car and as such is garaged and only taken out on nice days and for a number of the annual car meets/shows. Given this, I suspect a classic Porsche or Ferrari would fit well with this lifestyle. Budget would be around teh 40k mark

I am looking at people's thoughts and advice with regard to:

- Which models to look at, bearing in mind depreciation and potential future status
    - Recommended colours (or colours to avoid)
    - Desireable/Must Have options eg Challenger grill etc
    - Approximate annual budget for running/maintaining the car, assuming it will only do approx 1.5k to 2k miles a year

In my price range, the main culprits seem to be 328, 355, 360 and 456.

My view on them is:

456 - I have always liked these but not sure as to its general desireability and potential investment for the future.
    328 - May be getting too old now and could cost more to maintain - don't know hence the maintenance question
    355 - great looking car but is it better to go for a newer shape 360 ?
    360 - More modern looking but does that put it into the later era of mass produced Ferraris ?

The 355 feels like it would be the better choice but what are the running costs like, desireable options etc and price I should be looking to pay.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Name
    jos

Default Welcome

Why not start by doing some research both here and by reading the Walkersport buying guides ?

Name
    G

328 probably the cheapest to run, 355 definitely the sexiest
    All of them will hold value, some will increase. I'd personally put a larger value on the pleasure you will get from ownership rwther than worry about value.... Own the car, rather than allow it to own you

I have read no nightmares about reliability from owners on any site I have been on and in my experience it's been the most reliable and cheapest car I've ever owned
    Again, buy a good one and simply shake to enjoy

What about a 550

Name
    Spy

Quote Originally Posted by jos View Post
    Why not start by doing some research both here and by reading the Walkersport buying guides ?
    The buying guides are good, I imagine, for what to look for on specific models, but I was hoping for some more generic opinions as to whether the 355 is the best option given my intended use as well as options, colours etc people would deem desireable.

Name
    Spy

Quote Originally Posted by luckycolourblue View Post
    328 probably the cheapest to run, 355 definitely the sexiest
    All of them will hold value, some will increase. I'd personally put a larger value on the pleasure you will get from ownership rwther than worry about value.... Own the car, rather than allow it to own you

I have read no nightmares about reliability from owners on any site I have been on and in my experience it's been the most reliable and cheapest car I've ever owned
    Again, buy a good one and simply shake to enjoy

What about a 550
    Thanks mate, absolutely ownership enjoyment is paramount. My 911 Turbo is a testatment to that.

I am sure any Ferrari will be joy, having never owned one, and hence wanting to pick one that is more likely to hold its value or go up in value.

Which car are you referring to for reliability - the 355 or 328 ?

Name
    cgt

I would also look at other V12's, I do think 550's are going to be good future investments. Plus monster power is always good

I actually know two people who went from 996 Turbos to 550's, both loved the Ferrari.

Iain is offline Overpriced piece of old tat - Ferrari 250 GTO Club Member
    Name
    Iain

Go and drive them, they are worlds apart.

328 will be cheap as chips to maintain & insure relative to the others but might leave you "wanting" in terms of performance after getting out of a 996. Pretty bulletproof car really, you just have to find a straight & rust free one.

456 will saddle you with possible V12 maintenance bills but is a real touring express.

355s are lovely cars & some are as solid as you like - but equally some have been fragile and expensive to fix when they go wrong.

360s - well, (relatively) there's a lot of them about really

stevew is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Expert
    Name
    Steve

Since the cars you have listed are very different, surely it's not about buying the best option but about buying the car you really like and want.I always find it odd when someone comes on and asks other people what car they should buy

Name
    Spy

The 550 is an awesome looking car but the V12 does feel a little scary as regards maintenance and potential costs if things go wrong

Also, even a short trip could cost a fortune with the way petrol prices are going

Name
    cgt

Quote Originally Posted by Spy View Post
    The 550 is an awesome looking car but the V12 does feel a little scary as regards maintenance and potential costs if things go wrong

Also, even a short trip could cost a fortune with the way petrol prices are going
    Point one, I disagree, more reliable in my experience than V8's (and easier to work on).

Point two, can't really argue that

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast