Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 550 oil leak

Name
    ian

Default 550 oil leak

are small oil leaks common on the 550 ? small blobs about where the gearbox meets engine

Name
    TW

Hello Ian,

550's main oil issues stem from Cam seals, a lot of people only replace the outer seal not the inner 'o'ring as well.

If your leak is near theback its probably rear cam cover or cam seal. send it back and get them to sort it out.

T.

Name
    ian

Quote Originally Posted by WalkerSport View Post
    Hello Ian,

550's main oil issues stem from Cam seals, a lot of people only replace the outer seal not the inner 'o'ring as well.

If your leak is near theback its probably rear cam cover or cam seal. send it back and get them to sort it out.

T.
    Not usre exactly where its coming from, trouble is it only started leaking when i got home from picking car up from London !
    How big a job is it ?

Name
    TW

HI Ian,

We are just doing one at the moment, (Rear cam seal) by the time its done it will probably hit around 600 - 700.

Its not unusual not to find a fault like this until the car has been used, the seal can go a bit hard from sitting and only show itself when properly warm, our Rosso 550 was driven back from seller with a total of 350 miles put on her without a fault, at 500 miles she sprung a leak. its just one of those things.

T.

Name
    ian

thanks for the info.

assume car car run for a while without problem though ??

but looks like i've a seal to get sorted

Name
    Boxer

If it is a dried out seal from the car sitting, sometimes they will come back after a couple of weeks of regular use. I would drive the car for a few weeks and monitor the oil leakage. If it stays the same or gets worse, replace the seals. If they come back now they they are getting lubricated, all the better.

Name
    ian

Quote Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
    If it is a dried out seal from the car sitting, sometimes they will come back after a couple of weeks of regular use. I would drive the car for a few weeks and monitor the oil leakage. If it stays the same or gets worse, replace the seals. If they come back now they they are getting lubricated, all the better.
    Thats what i am praying for...

Cambelts and full service had just been done by SB racing near London, so hoping they looked at the seals and thought they were ok.

Name
    TW

Yes she will run fine, but the leak very rarely seals itself, once the oil is going past it tends to keep going, As you have just bought the car I would get this sorted asap. The dealer should pick up the bill, warranty or not.

T.

Name
    ian

waiting for H Wise motors to get back to me, he's checking if the service garage replaced the seals last week when they did cambelt service etc.
    Howard did say to contact him if there was a problem.....

Name
    TW

Good,

Howard is a nice chap so I hope he'll do the right thing. people only tend to check the forward seals especially when doing cam belt services. Fingers crossed for you.

T.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast