Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: How to clean 360 headlights in 90 mins

Name
    Brian

Got them plus magnets.. If only it wasn't so cold out!

Name
    Robermorris

Quote Originally Posted by Demon View Post
    Thought I would share my experiences in the hope that someone will benefit.....

Just had my 360 Modena paintwork corrected by Paul Every who has done a fantastic detail on the car, but it was let down by the usual debris in the headlights and water marks on the inside of the headlight lens.

We tried to vacuum out the crud using a small tube connected to a vacuum cleaner but just succeeded in moving it around.

I spoke to Tim Walker who was very helpful and offered to part exchange my lights for a set that he had. However his were Grigio metallic and my car is Rosso Corsa, so he arranged to have his set split, cleaned and repainted. I booked my car in at Rardley to have the light units swopped over.

Unfortunately, Tim was beset by the usual problem and one of the lights cracked on splitting, so we were back to square one. Mike at Rardley suggested that even if we remove my lights and try to clean them out of the car, the likelihood is that we will do more damage than good and we agreed that I would leave them in place and ponder on a solution.

So. today I implemented plan D and set to it myself, with surprisingly good results in only 90 minutes.

So here goes with the instructions...

Firstly, you will need a pack of lint free, open weave dish cloths, a 15 inch (8mm diameter dowel - the length is critical) and a retrieval tool to pull the cloths back out (This is a flexible tube with and actuating rod down the middle and a retractable claw grip on the end).

You don't need to remove the wheels or even jack the car up, but it will help if it is parked on a level surface.

The procedure is the same for both sides.

1) Turn the steering to full lock with the wheel pointing inwards on the side that you are working on.

2) Remove the access panel inside the wheel arch - two small bolts

3) Remove the full beam light bulb as described in the manual and let it hang out of the way

4) Using the dowel, carefully introduce one of the cloths into the light housing through the bulb hole

5) Once the cloth is inside, use the dowel to sweep it around from side to side - the open weave will pick up the debris beautifully

6) Once the cloth has picked up some dirt, remover the dowel and gently retrieve the cloth with the retrieval tool and bin the cloth

7) repeat steps 4-6 with a new cloth each time to remove as much as you can, or until the cloths come out as clean as they went in

Check for remaining debris as you go and once it is all gone you can replace the bulb, refit the access panel and move on to the next side

This method has removed all of the debris from the lights and some of the smears and watermarks from the inside of my lenses.

They are not 100% perfect, but they are more than acceptable and probably better that a split and re-assembled pair.

I elected not to wet the cloths as I felt that this would only result in smears and watermarks so did the whole thing dry and happily it has worked a treat.

Hope this helps and good luck!
    Your post is very helpful for those who love to clean their cars

Name
    Robermorris

Quote Originally Posted by Robermorris View Post
    Your post is very helpful for those led who love to clean their cars
    Do you have more posts to share?

Name
    Adam

Red face a fantastic solution

Thanks for this superb bit of ingenuity... my 360 spider has the same problem and after much research was resigned to the split apart method i have seen on other sites... I'll be creating your great invention which will then help my OCD tremendously...!

Demon is offline Del Boy's Reliant Robin Club Member
    Name
    Simon

Wink OCD

Can we please call it CDO?

I get agitated when the letters are not in alphabetical order....

I am normal, right?

Mike01606 is offline Looks like a 308 to me? -The Ferrari 288 GTO Club Member
    Name
    Mike M

Default How to clean 360 headlights in 90 mins

Bumped for matkat
    Last edited by Mike01606; 06-05-2015 at 02:02 PM.

Name
    Dave McGuire

Thanks Mike, seems easy enough and as I have to change a couple of bulbs anyway will try it then.
    Dave

Name
    JGV

Default Cleaing headlights F360

Hi

2017 almost 2018. It is such a good feeling to see that a chat started in 2011 still lives on in ...almost 2018. I have been taken by work for years and years and finally succeeded in logging in again which was years ago. I bought this absolutely superb F360 model 2006 (one of the last!!), have it now for 3 years and is so magnificent and beautiful EXCEPT the f....ng headlights covers. They just look so 'dirty' like windows with condensation, very foggy looks. For quite a while now, i lost my sleep over this (just kidding:-))) on how to clean it.
    So i stumbled on this chat and must admit got quite wiser on the subject. First i thought to remove wheels and take out headlights but think i will try by turning the wheels and go for the magnet solution. There is an end coming to my nightmare ))). Hope i find time soon to share pics before/after. Good luck to rest of you headlight lovers....and thanks to the posters!J.

Demon is offline Del Boy's Reliant Robin Club Member
    Name
    Simon

Good luck. The secret is to be patient and make very sure that anything you introduce into the headlight is firmly attached to string so that you can retrieve it easily. Otherwise you will have a frustrating task to use the grabber to fish things out. I found that changing the cloth periodically helps to ensure that all smears and residue is removed. Essentially, you want to do it in two steps; firstly to remove dirt and debris and then secondly, with a clean cloth and a little detailing spray to really clean up the inside surface.

It is also worth soaking the cloth that you use to hold the magnets on the outside with detailing spray to lubricate it and ensure that you donít scratch the outside surface.

Most importantly, whilst the process is relatively quick, make sure you allow yourself enough time to do it patiently. Much better to change the inside cloth frequently although it is a pain in the backside, to be sure that you are happy with the result and donít need to do it all over again.

There is no need to dismantle and remove the headlights.

All the Best, Demon

Brownie360 is offline Burnt out Rover Metro Club Member
    Name
    Steven

Default Not Perfect But Better......

I had one of the best detailers in the UK have a go at this when my car we last detailed (pictures in the gallery) in August and, whilst its a tricky, and I am pleased I left it to an expert, the process couldn't get the headlights to the level I wanted them at. Then, having seen what nearly new headlights look like, on the less than 3000 mile car recently sold by Silverstone Auctions, at the NEC, I am now considering that new lights could be the only way to go to get the finish I want.

Is perfection worth the investment? Something I am debating to myself as we speak.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345