Thread: Mondial

Name
    Darren

Default Mondial

Hi there, I am new here and have recently found the urge to try a Ferrari but like the idea of 4 seats. My current classic is a 3 door sierra cosworth and tbh I am not 100% sure I want to get rid, is the mondial as bad as some say as I know it's an entry level Ferrari and not quick but I just fancy a change and one is easily within my budget, anyone have any info on these cars any advice appreciated, I think I need to go view a few to help me make my mind up as is just something I have in my head at the moment, I like the idea that they are also easier to service than the later cars as I have always done all my own maintenance and after a bit of research think I could handle the work involved as I enjoy the working on cars as much as the driving, sad I know but I like the satisfaction from doing something myself. If worst came to worst I could stretch to one of these without selling the sierra just in case I regret it, as you may tell from my comments I am still unsure if I am doing the right thing. So please can anyone help with info on these cars

Thanks

Darren

Name
    jos

Default Welcome & good luck with your search

Running gear same as 308/328 depending on Mondial 8 / QV / 3.2 so much advice available - cheap insurance 20 mpg - go for it You might also consider a lower end GT4 for similar money

phillg is offline Looks like a 308 to me? -The Ferrari 288 GTO Club Member
    Name
    Phill Grimshaw

Sadly I sold my 3 door Cosworth 2 years ago and still miss it.
    I wish I'd found a way to keep it,but I also don't regret getting the F430.
    Spider,or coupe? Just get one of each.

Name
    Paul Gray

Default 348

If you pm me i can give you the phone no of a very good friend who is selling his mondial. i know this car inside out and a better one will not be found.
    Last edited by weepee; 03-02-2012 at 09:53 AM. Reason: lights on no one home

rmdferrari is offline Crop rotation in the 14th century was CONSIDERABLY more widespread after John... Banned user
    Name
    Richard

Darren. I drove both GT4's and Mondial QV's when I was looking 7 years ago. Ended up buying a GT4 but the QV's drove very nicely, turned in well and felt spacious....more so than the GT4.

Some would say the 3.2 is the pick of the range with its styling similar to the early cars, engine in belt change and 270bhp. I'm growing quite fond of the 3.4t's for sheer value for money and 300bhp.... plus if you've got nice hair a convertible one of these for under 20k seems a bargain.

I love GT4's and am delighted with mine. Love the quirky styling and it's a proper "classic" rather than just being an "old" Ferrari which some view the Mondial as.

Drop me a PM with your number if you want a chat some time.

Name
    Paul Gray

As the post above say,s , its an older Ferrari, but every bit a classic in its own right. Me i think they make a very easy entry into the world of the Fcar.
    parts are cheep, easy to service, and will return hours of endless smiles. Oh i forgot ! still quite quick for its age.

MalcH is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Club Member
    Name
    Malc Holden

Had Mondial QV and loved it. It had problems though as you would expect those problems were far cheaper than my problem free F355 if a bit more annoying. I had problems with the electrics in particular the fuesbox which was problematic on some 8's and QV's.

Car drove well and was comfortable.
    Mondial 8 was a little low on bhp (215 I think) but can be had for little money.
    Mondial QV got the 4 valves/cylinder and increased the bhp to 240 and are still quite cheap though they do seem currently to be increasing from the 11k I advertised mine for and never got
    Mondial 3.2 in my opinion possibly the best one, more power 270bhp (as Richard said) still tranverse and cheaper to maintain than the T. Colour coded front and read bumpers bring up to date a little.

Mondial 8, QV and 3.2 (maybe) came as standard with metric wheels and tyres and can be expensive though many owners change them and certainly worth checking.

3.4T has smaller side vents with a smoother body, front wings and don't have the flared wheel arches. The engine is in-line with transverse gearbox and like the 348 it shares the engine with requires it to be removed for cambelt changes.
    I do love the look of the T though

Name
    Lee Pearson

I would not sell the 3 Door cosworth for a Mondial

This would be a big no no ,the 3 door if its a good one is so much more a future classic that the Mondial.
    Save some more money and buy a GT4 and keep the 3 door.

Lee

Name
    Darren B

Some years ago I contemplated buying a Mondial as I wanted a Ferrari and 4 seats. In the end I didnt go there as I felt that it wouldn't give me the thrills I wanted as it was relatively underpowered compared to other options I had. I have since regretted that decision as it would have allowed me the joys of owning a Ferrari much earlier than I did......so I say go for it, I dont think you will regret it.
    Last edited by Dazza; 04-02-2012 at 03:13 AM.

Name
    Darren B

Some years ago I contemplated buying a Mondial as I wanted a Ferrari and 4 seats. In the end I didnt go there as I felt that it wouldn't give me the thrills I wanted as it was relatively underpowered compared to other options I had. I have since regretted that decision as it would have allowed me the joys of owning a Ferrari much earlier than I did......si I say go for it, I dont think you will regrett it.