Thread: Oil leak 328

Name
    Rune Ask

Default Oil leak 328

I have got a oil leakage on my 328.

After driving it's a oil leak from the slot just above the linkage for clutch adjustment. (Between Clutch hose and transfer gearbox house)
    Somebody who knows where the leakage comes from? It's looks like engine oil.

Name
    TW

Most likely gearbox oil, probably from where the gear selector enters the gearbox housing through a wet seal? Any chance of a pic?

If it is engine oil it may be dripping down from the oil cooler (that maybe split) or from the forward cam cover gasket.

T.

F355GTS is offline Shocking waste of good kevlar - The Ferrari Enzo Club Member
    Name
    Mark Collins

Quote Originally Posted by WalkerSport View Post
    Most likely gearbox oil, probably from where the gear selector enters the gearbox housing through a wet seal? Any chance of a pic?

If it is engine oil it may be dripping down from the oil cooler (that maybe split) or from the forward cam cover gasket.

T.

Tim, would oil come out of there if the engine to gearbox seal has failed allowing engine oil into the gearbox? (a common problem I believe)

Name
    Andy Warne

Quote Originally Posted by F355GTS View Post
    Tim, would oil come out of there if the engine to gearbox seal has failed allowing engine oil into the gearbox? (a common problem I believe)
    I think if that seal goes, a combination of the pumping action of the shift shaft and sump pressure causes oil to be forced into the gearbox from the engine and eventually starts to come out of the vent near the top of the transfer cover when the level gets really high.

On my 328 I had a leak on the side close to the bottom of the clutch cover and it was gearbox oil. It was simply a leaky gearbox bottom cover. Easy fix, but I replaced the 2 shift shaft seals as well.

Name
    Rune Ask

Smile

If the weather her in Norway will be better soon, I will take a drive and se if it's gear oil or engine oil.
    I think it could be the seal ring part number 200323 page 004 item 2, but anyone know if it's easy to replace that?

Name
    Andy Warne

Not sure which seal that is. Which document are you referring to?

Name
    TW

If you use this link from Eurospares then we can all share the same parts diagram etc..

http://www.eurospares.co.uk/partTabl...A=1&B=41274&S=

T.

Name
    Rune Ask

I think it maybe is this seal ring: Item 2.

http://www.eurospares.co.uk/partTabl...A=1&B=41253&S=

I called QV London, and he recommended me to replace part number 200323 and 103877 (item 2 and 21) I think.
    He told me it's a easy job, but for me it seem to be a bigger job as I have to demount a lot of stuff?
    So I don't want to start before I'm sure where the leakage comes from

Name
    Andy Warne

Are you sure he meant the crankshaft oil seal and said it was easy?

I think you would need to be really sure it was coming from there before taking the thing all apart. What I did with my leak was carefully cleaned the whole area then take it for a short drive to warm everything up, then closely examine. If you check it after its been driven for a while it is misleading as the leaked oil gets blown around the whole area.

Name
    Rune Ask

I'm not sure he meant the crankshaft oil seal, but I'm sure he said it was easy job. But I'm rather sure about the partnumbers, and I haven't seen where else the parts fits.
    Maybe I have to call him again