Thread: GTR to F430

Name
    lewis

Cool GTR to F430

hello everyone! i currently own an r35 gtr. i have for the past few months been thinking of switching to a 430 spider (most likely an early one) . has anybody owned both and could tell me if they are similar running cost wise? my gtr is slightly tuned and im aware it will be different all together on the performance side of things, as they are 2 totally different cars i would imagine. but it has for some time been an itch that needs scratching! i just need to know if they are any different when it comes to reliability/service costs etc (nissan isnt great) as the car would be a daily driver. i know very little about ferraris so any comparison info between the 2 would be a great help!

Name
    Pete Wight

Default Hi Lewis

Did a very similar itch scratching exercise last year. In my case it was a Scuderia and the comparison a year or so on is quite revealing I think.

I did about 12,000 miles in a year in the GTR and only half that or a little more in the Ferrari so far.

In tuned 600bhp form the Nissan was the fastest car I have ever driven, its difficult to explain why its so special but there's real magic in that car. However the Scuderia is, in reasonable conditions, just about as fast and as we all know on here it's not all about how fast you can go but about how it goes fast (and slow)
    The Ferrari experience is in most ways much more intense. The marque is the alpha dog of the car world and every Ferrari carries all that history, image (Not all good) . Took me ages to become comfortable with all the attention but when you are every trip is a blast. The GTR attracted lots of attention too but not on the same scale.

Costs in my time with each car:

GTR

Servicing - 2 Services with the marvellous Litchfield Imports at 600 each = maybe 200 in consumables
    Tyres - 1 set of 4 Bridgestones @ 1350 fitted
    Fuel - V Power or Momentum 99 only at about 18mpg
    Other costs - Wheels all refurbed in a different colour @ 400
    Upgrades etc 2750
    Repairing crunched front corner (Its bl...y wide) after garage"incident" approx 500
    Insurance - 950

Scuderia

Servicing - 1 Major Service at HR Owen - 2350
    Tyres - 1 Front, 2 Rears of Pirelli Unobtainium rubber 1300
    Fuel - V Power mainly but will happily run on 95ron @ 16mpg
    Other costs - 1300 for Paintshielding front
    Paint - Front stone chip touch in whilst getting warranty work done at the excellent Chartwells 250
    Insurance - 1,000

So, quite similar in performance and costs but you could say the cost per mile is about double. The Ferrari gives a lot more in terms of the buzz you get when driving it and I find the idea of using it to commute even though my drive to work includes some great roads, seems inappropriate somehow.
    But in my time with the Scud its not had to have any major parts replaced. Recent research has suggested its impossible to find alternatives to Ferrari discs at 12,000 so that would be a concern. Either go for steels or make sure its got lots of brake life left. Clutches, Ball Joints, body corrosion and any Carbon Fibre bits all cost big money.
    By comparison the Nissan Main Dealers can be pricey but there's lots of of alternatives for all the expensive stuff , often better than stock, and its possible to find and fit lots of upgraded parts. Its in the genes of GTRs to get modded.

But I am delighted with the decision despite the think of a budget and double it running costs. Not been through the sales process yet and that's a worry with dealers being unwilling to buy it outright and offering very mean trade ins that suggest very handy margins.

Not exactly the same model but relevant I would say. If its out of warranty the big stuff on the Ferrari will cost big money, the Nissan a lot less (And it seems they just don't break ) I think mechanically a modern Ferrari is very reliable too and will handle the miles without trouble.

Pete.
    Last edited by diamond blue; 13-04-2012 at 10:03 PM.

Name
    F430 newbee

Excellent writeup Pete!

Name
    lewis

Default thanks alot!

well pete what can i say! excellent write up! exactly what ive been looking for. i take it the spiders are similar service costs etc to the scuderia? totally agree about the shear pace of a tuned GTR! mine is currently 650bhp with torque figues not far behind. will be hard to find anything that accelerates so violently! but as you quite rightly said, theres more to motoring than that. Its not just all about huge bhp figures, its how it is delivered. i really fancy somthing totally different but i think im just a little bit worried that i might miss all that power. but its not like an f430 is slow! suppose its time to have a good think. cheers!

Name
    Pete Wight

Thanks chaps,
    Always good to be able to help.

I would say the 430 is plenty fast enough. Its not in absolute terms going to be a match for the GTR, especially in tuned form but its a very fast car.
    The way its power is delivered ( more revs, less mid-range torque )makes it less quick and not really close unless you wring its neck a little, and it cant generate the traction but the compensation is its sound track, sense of occasion and looks.