Thread: 348 won't start...

Name
    MikeW

Default 348 won't start...

Hi guys, seems the 348 won't start, it is fitted with a Toad alarm. Normally the alarm system will reset itself if the key isn't turned after a minute. So to start I must press the open door button again.
    If you don't when you turn the key you get full dash lights etc but nothing else.

I last ran the car a month or so ago, on the weekend I went to run it and tried to start it straight away...no delay, got the dash lights etc but ...nothing else. Not a click..battery is on trickle conditioner.

Spoke today to toad alarm installer and he ran me through some tests over the phone, as he is in Derby I'm in Swansea.

He asked me to Put lights on and try to start, if lights dim...starter is calling power but is not turning..poss faulty solenoid or starter jammed. No dimming occurred. So no power going to starter.

So check starter fuse or relay. Checked the manual and can't find either!

Can anyone point me in the direction of said item.

If I can check this and is at fault problem solved, if I can check and item is ok?

Problem could then be the alarm and need to run further test.

Cheers

Mike

Name
    MikeW

Turns out the 348 doesn't have a starter relay.....

Name
    Oli

This has happened to me a lot and I have a toad alarm...it's really frustrating. The car is immobilised by the alarm and won't turn over.

Seems to happen at random and often at the petrol station when I've filled up (which gives everybody else filling up a good laugh).

The only solution I have found is to lock the car with the toad key fob (green button), leave the car for 30mins then unlock it again. It then seems to forget about immobilising the car and it will start first time.

However, I've had enough so I'm going to replace the old toad system with a new alarm.

Hope you manage to get the car started.

Oli

Name
    Jeff

This story sounds very familiar!!!! :-(

I was stranded at the Silverstone World record by this exact problem. In the end I had to relock the car with the alarm -leave it 10 mins then it starts first time. I believe its some kind of anti tamper/anti jack mechanisem where the alarm goes into total shut down if its being "messed" with. Complete pain but once your aware of it you can avoid it. Very annoying "feature" though!

Name
    Ed

Take a look at your starter motor. You will see one big thick red wire, and a smaller wire. Disconnect the smaller wire. Connect a test lamp to it, ensuring it can't short out against anything. Find yourself a volunteer to try cranking the engine, while you watch the lamp, if it lights up you have a problem with the starter. If not, it's the immobilser. The problem occurs due to high current draw damaging the switching solenoid inside the immobiliser unit. If it only happens intermittently, you can hook up a relay at the rear of the car to reduce the load on the immobiliser which will stop the issue and prolong the life of it.

dave964 is offline No I'm Spartacus Club Member
    Name
    Dave

Mine failed to start once, a month or two before I sold it. Never did it before or after for me. Dash lights came on, but when I turned to start - absolutely nothing.

A light tap on the starter motor solved it - worth a try.

Name
    MikeW

Hi guys,

Many thanks for the replies and my delay....I sorted it out..
    The guys who installed the alarm suggested that the toad alarms were robust and don't tend to fail. It is only 4 hrs old. Anyway, he sent me a link to a the Ferrari chat forum where a relay is installed in the passenger footwell, apparently over time the 348 looses voltage between the ignition and the starter.

I cut the wire from the ignition and fitted to the relay and the same for the starter, I took a 12 volt feed from the buzz bar on the bulkhead and finally earthed the relay.

Fired up first time.....

Here is the link...
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/348...ification.html

RobC is offline Frankenstein's monster - The Ferrari F430 Club Member
    Name
    Rob

Nice one Mike, thanks for posting your update,I'm sure this will come in useful for many 348 owners to know
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike#10 View Post
    Hi guys,

Many thanks for the replies and my delay....I sorted it out..
    The guys who installed the alarm suggested that the toad alarms were robust and don't tend to fail. It is only 4 hrs old. Anyway, he sent me a link to a the Ferrari chat forum where a relay is installed in the passenger footwell, apparently over time the 348 looses voltage between the ignition and the starter.

I cut the wire from the ignition and fitted to the relay and the same for the starter, I took a 12 volt feed from the buzz bar on the bulkhead and finally earthed the relay.

Fired up first time.....

Here is the link...
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/348...ification.html
    The 'Brotherhood' is growing!