Thread: Slow Down

Name
    garry taylor

Default Slow Down

Hi all,
    I took the 430 for a spin around town yesterday and when i came to a set of traffic lights i noticed the slow down light had come on.
    I then tried to go into gear but it just stayed in N,needless to say panicked and switched the engine off and waved the cars behind on.
    I re-started but no better,but after a rev it went into gear so carried on.All the temp readings where correct and wondered if it was a one off.
    Any thoughts please.

phillg is offline Looks like a 308 to me? -The Ferrari 288 GTO Club Member
    Name
    Phill Grimshaw

What year is the car ?
    Spider,or coupe? Just get one of each.

Name
    garry taylor

Had it mentioned that revving the engine stationary might have caused a lot of fuel to be deposited into the cats.
    Possible cause.

Name
    Aldous Voice

The F430 has two type of Slow Down messages - one for Cat over heating (same as the 360) and one for F1/E-Diff problems. The fact that you had gear selection issues along with the message suggests a problem with the latter.

The reason Phill asked abut the age of your car is becuase the early cars had the same F1 pump as the 360 which wasn't big enough to cope with powering both the F1 system and the E-Diff. Later cars had a bigger pump fitted.

Reving the car shouldn't have an effect on the pressure in the system unless your battery was totally shot and the pump was being driven off the alternator. In the first instance I would check the level of your F1 fluid. If that is good then I would monitor how much the pump cuts in and out. Also check for leaks if the fluid is low.

I suspect you'll need to take it to someone who knows what they're doing though...

phillg is offline Looks like a 308 to me? -The Ferrari 288 GTO Club Member
    Name
    Phill Grimshaw

Yep.that's why I asked.
    I had the pump updated to the bigger one.
    Much better,and smoother,but hurt the wallet.
    Spider,or coupe? Just get one of each.

Name
    Pav911

Hi All,

Bit of a thread resurrection here as i think i've got the same problem on my 2005 F430.

Just wondering if anyone has a ball park figure (indie not F dealer) for replacing the F1 pump for the later version.

The car has an RAC warranty, but as the problem is intermittent i get the feeling i'll be paying for a whole bunch of investigation costs that will probably lead to a "wear and tear" result.

Thanks in advance

Pav

Name
    Maz

I had the one on my 360 changed by Stuart at SB race engineering. It's a few hundred quid fitted.

Rustybits is offline Del Boy's Reliant Robin Sponsor
    Name
    Eddie

The 360 uses a different pump. It's about 150, same as an Alfa Romeo 156 selespeed, plenty on eBay. The uprated 430 pump is around 1000 as a kit, which includes a modified valve body bracket. You can order just the pump for a bit less and modify the existing bracket, which involves removing the bumper and drilling an extra bolt hole. If your paying someone to fit the kit, it should take no longer than an hour to fit it and bleed. Two hours if you buy the pump only. The same pump is used on the later aston Martin v8 vantage (2007 onwards) and is slightly cheaper.....
    Last edited by Rustybits; 11-06-2016 at 12:01 AM.