Thread: 360 oil leak

Name
    Mark

Question 360 oil leak

Noticed small oil deposit on garage floor each time I take the car out. It is coming from back of the rear end. Engine oil level looks fine. Could it be gearbox oil that far back? Anything to worry about?
    thanks

Name
    TW

Hello Mark,

Your going to need to be more specific of where its comming from, ie, Centre of the car 2 ft in from the rear bumper (probably rear main seal) or RHS rear quarter just behind the lights (F1 pump leak) or forward of the engine to the RHS as you look from the rear (Power steering pipe leak), then we can advise the most likely source of the problem.

Colour and smell of the oil would also help!

T.

Name
    Mozella

Quote Originally Posted by WalkerSport View Post
    ...... snip ........
    Colour and smell of the oil would also help!

T.
    I agree. With the under-car aerodynamic fairing covering essentially everything, the oil leak could be coming out a long way from whatever component is actually leaking. In other words, a fluid leak is not likely to drip straight down onto the floor. It's more likely to run down to the closest joint in the belly pan and drip out there. I would guess that transmission gear oil, for example, might drip onto the floor significantly forward of the transmission, but it should be easy to smell.

Name
    Mark

Smile

Thanks both. Ok:
    - dead centre
    - 18 inches underneath from rear bumper
    - Light colour with defined black areas/streaks
    - faint metallic smell

Hope this helps!
    Cheers

Name
    Mark

Should also add that it is a manual spider

Name
    Ed

If its red in colour it could be F1 oil or PAS oil as suggested. If yours is a fairly early car it may have the light brown coloured F1 oil, and it could be that you can see leaking. If its gearbox oil it would have quite a thick consistency and it smells like cats wee! Rear main oil seals are also prone to failure on the 360, particularly if the car spends long periods of time unused. Basically there could be many causes..

As said, the undertray needs removal to see the source of the leak. I wouldn't recommend driving it until the leak has been diagnosed and fixed.

Name
    Dave

I'd check the clutch block, these have a tendency to crack which allows clutch fluid to weep out. You should be able to check this without removing the undertray. It's mounted on the right hand side of the gearbox.
    I've attached a photo of the area it's located, but for some reason the image has been rotated 180 degrees so please bare this in mind. you can't quite see the clutch block as its just below the braided hose but the pointer shows the area you should be looking.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Name
    Mark

Thanks for all the comments. It is now in at my local garage to sort out this and other things. Will report back!

Name
    Mark

It was the crankase seal. Gearbox had to come out and new rear main seal. Also decided to replace the clutch while they were in there

Name
    TW

I'm glad you have got to the bottom of it, Its quite expensive hence the recomendations of doing it when you have the clutch replaced regardless. Thanks for keeping us all posted.

T.