Thread: Do you stockpile spares?

Name
    Slapshot

Default Do you stockpile spares?

We've all heard the scary stories about broken F1 pumps, cracked headers, hefty clutch prices, etc. I was wondering how many of us stockpile spares when they pop up cheaply on eBay and Eurospares. You could spend a fortune planning for a disaster that never happens or be glad you did.

What are people hoarding away for that "rainy day"?
    Last edited by slapshot; 16-01-2014 at 10:24 PM.

Name
    Robin Sherwood

Hi Tim,

I do have a few spares up in the attic but not for the Ferrari. I guess if something really cheap came up I just might be tempted but Ferrari spares are relatively easy to source so I tend to concentrate on spares that are a bit more in the 'hens' teeth' category.

As you say you could easily end up with loads of spares for eventualities that may never happen. The phrase "worry is interest paid on trouble before it is due" springs to mind.

Having said that if a stainless steel trim set and front grille kit for a MkII Tiger came up for sale I would definitely stash that away!

Mike01606 is offline Nowhere to put the shopping -The Ferrari F40 Club Member
    Name
    Mike M

I started to feel a bit obsessive with eBay searches etc. I bought a spare 2002 360 F1 TCU for a hundred quid but never fitted it and passed it on for what I paid to someone who needed it more than me.....

A bit pointless, so what I stockpile now is cash just in case....if I don't need it I can buy other shiny things with it.....

Name
    Slapshot

Yeah, but with an OEM price of 1140 for an F1 pump and a new equivalent currently on ebay for 270 I'm sorely tempted!

Every time I open the driver door and listen to the asthmatic wheeze of my current pump I cringe.

Dunno, maybe they all sound like that

Mike01606 is offline Nowhere to put the shopping -The Ferrari F40 Club Member
    Name
    Mike M

Quote Originally Posted by slapshot View Post
    Yeah, but with an OEM price of 1140 for an F1 pump and a new equivalent currently on ebay for 270 I'm sorely tempted!

Every time I open the driver door and listen to the asthmatic wheeze of my current pump I cringe.

Dunno, maybe they all sound like that
    I'm with you on the pump as the Alfa Selespeed part is the same and I've seen it as low as 150 new. I will end up buying a cheap one and changing mine but probably the next time the clutch is done. I actually strpped the motor down a few weeks ago expecting the brushes to be shot and it was like new inside.

I thought the F430 needed the later, larger pump which isn't the same and cost about a grand. I believe the earlier cars came with the 360 one but it wasn't man enough to service the F1 system and the e-Diff so it was upgraded.

Name
    Slapshot

Interesting.

I have a 2005 model year F430. Perhaps the early cars were given pumps out of the 360 Modena parts bin rather than the new design?

Is it easy to tell from the part number which pump I have?

Name
    Snowman

Quote Originally Posted by slapshot View Post
    I have a 2005 model year F430.

Is it easy to tell from the part number which pump I have?
    You can tell by looking at the shape of it (in the engine bay, behind the light cluster on the right hand side) or alternatively by assembly number. If you have part number 248083 replacement is significantly more expensive.

A pump failure would not be fun - there would be no ability to change gear and if in gear the car wouldn't even start. It would then be time for the recovery truck and you would end up at the mercy of the garage on price. Not to mention the hassle involved. If the pump is on for a long time when the door is opened or it stays on longer than it used to then it could be on its way out.
    Last edited by Snowman; 17-01-2014 at 08:06 PM.