Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Boats and Boating

Chriss is offline Rear lights like a farm gate - The Ferrari 348 Club Member
    Name
    Chris S

Default Boats and Boating

We have a very interesting Planes/Aviation thread and I know several members who have boats so how about a thread dedicated to boats and boating ?

I'll start it off.

We've just taken our 33 year old Cruiser out of the water for refurbishment this morning and last week we put her on a berth in Cobbs Quay in Poole in readiness for the lift at 08:30.

Yesterday an awfully nice chap reversing his Sunseeker into the next berth demolished our Swim Platform !
    To be fair, it was very windy and he was very apologetic and immediately offered to pay for the damage.
    Having said that, the Sunseeker had twin diesels plus Bow and Stern thrusters so it should have been an easy boat to berth.

Nevertheless, it could happen to anyone ! Just another job to add to the long, long list !

She should be out of the water for about 5-6 weeks.
    Name:  Blue Horizon 1.jpg
Views: 379
Size:  59.4 KB[ATTACH]Name:  DSCF0005a.jpg
Views: 379
Size:  52.6 KB

PS : The lower picture was taken when we bought her. This morning the underside looked very different !
    Will post some pictures when I can work out how to get them off my Android phone and onto the PC.
    Bloody Windows !
    Last edited by Chriss; 19-05-2014 at 11:59 AM.
    A proper car has a V12 engine in the front

Cobbs Quay!! Brings back happy memories! Spent many days on a variety of boats moored there!

Name
    Jim

A few fairly numptie questions re boats and boating from me to get the ball rolling from a non-boaty person

The boat above looks great. What sort of sailing does one do in something like that? Something like a 2-3 hr pleasure cruise along the coast and back or a 2-3 day cruise to (not sure where you would get to in 2-3 days but you know what I mean) .. or a 2-3 week cruise around the Med and back?

Name
    GQ

Here's my little bundle of fun Thats not me driving by the way, that was on test!
    Attached Images Attached Images   

AJ3XX is offline Looks like a 308 to me? -The Ferrari 288 GTO Club Member
    Name
    Andy

Quote Originally Posted by renmure View Post
    A few fairly numptie questions re boats and boating from me to get the ball rolling from a non-boaty person

The boat above looks great. What sort of sailing does one do in something like that? Something like a 2-3 hr pleasure cruise along the coast and back or a 2-3 day cruise to (not sure where you would get to in 2-3 days but you know what I mean) .. or a 2-3 week cruise around the Med and back?
    I'm crazy about high performance dinghies and racing them. It's my passion. So, my answers to these questions maybe slightly prejudiced ....

So to answer your question about the floating caravans ... sorry, I mean these lovely motorhome boat things that chug along filling the clean sea breeze with diesel fumes...

What sort of sailing does one do in something like that - One doesn't sail at all as they do not have sails. One just chugs along making lots of noise and smell.

Something like a 2-3 hr pleasure cruise along the coast and back - No, they head directly to the nearest sailing club and chug right through the middle of a race. They make special effort to ensure they bugger up someone's race by ignoring all the general maritime laws. Usually they wait until they are right in the middle of the race before handing over the helm to their 12 year old daughter.

Not sure where you would get to in 2-3 days .. - Oh not far enough. Ideally they'd all head to France

Of course, all above are posted with a huge amount of tongue-in-cheek and I'm sure Chris is a very considerate caraboat owner

Where I race it's an estuary and clearly when the Romford Navy come out to play in their motorhome-boats, they inevitably have to chug through the deep channel which is slap-bang in the middle of our race course. To say it's annoying when you're hiked out on the wire with a kite flying to have to suddenly dump the sail and change direction because of one of these ploughing through the water over the 8-knot speed limit, without any regard to anyone else, straight towards you....yes, it is slightly annoying ....no, actually it's hugely annoying. Races are too often decided on these events.

The problem with all boating, including sailing, is there are no tests to pass to legislate who's on the water. There's nothing stopping anyone going out today and buying an extremely powerful speed boat and heading out into the water. I suspect Essex is extra bad for this but we have a huge amount of people out there on the water that really have no clue of any of the general maritime rules.

I use to teach youngsters to sail when I was in my 20's. We had a Wayfarer with about 6 kids in it once completely demolished by a small motorboat. The guys supposedly in control were on the deck drinking....

And then there's Jets Skis ..... I'm not even going to start on that subject.
    Last edited by AJ3XX; 20-05-2014 at 01:38 PM.
    Ferrari 348 - "still stands out from a crowd but yet still fits in” - Randy Stetson

Quote Originally Posted by Quigs View Post
    Here's my little bundle of fun Thats not me driving by the way, that was on test!
    That looks beautiful! I'd love a Riva but lacking in enough cash!

Name
    Neil

Here's my little bundle of fun
    Wow! I love these, such lovely lines

AJ3XX is offline Looks like a 308 to me? -The Ferrari 288 GTO Club Member
    Name
    Andy

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400606420.959465.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  65.8 KB
    Ferrari 348 - "still stands out from a crowd but yet still fits in” - Randy Stetson

Chriss is offline Rear lights like a farm gate - The Ferrari 348 Club Member
    Name
    Chris S

Excellent !!!!
    A proper car has a V12 engine in the front

Mike01606 is offline Kid's bed - The Ferrari F50 Club Member
    Name
    Mike M

Fabulous....

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast