Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ultima GTR

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Name
    Jim

Default Ultima GTR

Collected this at the weekend.
    Makes everyone else on the road move over.
    Feels quick.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Name
    Trevor Skedge

Congratulations on the new car. Ultima is on my list and saw that one advertised. Be sure to update us with your thoughts after driving it for a while.

Trevor.

Murph7355 is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Club Member
    Name
    Murph

How much power is it running?

Photos of the interior.

Always find these interesting, but not really sure I could contend with one for general use...and they're a bit "sledgehammer" for things like track use.

Name
    Jim

Power is circa 514bhp at the wheels so adequately rapid.

It is a 6 litre LS Engined Ultima GTR. Fancied one for a while and enquired about a few over the years but never felt confident enough to take it any further. Difference this time is that it was a well known and well regarded car in Ultima-land. Previously owned by 4 folk on PH who all sang its praises by PM.

Previous owner was a dream to deal with and is a professional test driver and spends his days at work doing high performance evaluations and prototype testing. Bonus was that he has owned almost every variant of Lotus so was able to answer all my dumb questions in realitive terms I could associate with and put some perspective to the big numbers. (He may be lurking on here also since he is thinking about an Fcar now)

Spec is:

The car is a 2006 Ultima GTR
    Chevy 6.0 litre LS2 Engine,
    Porsche 6spd with lsd,
    The LS2 was fettled with and fitted racing cam, springs, collets, ported, it also has a gated sump.
    Circa 590/600 bhp engine / 514bhp at wheels
    The gearbox is 6 speed getrag with lsd.
    Accusump
    A P racing brakes with brake bias adjustment.
    Over sized headers (all stainless)
    Forgeline wheels which are powder coated in grey (to match the car) with polished rims
    Removable MOMO steering wheel.
    Lowered floor pan
    Aircon.
    Side skirts, front splitter and rear diffuser.
    3M chip protection.
    Single adjustable suspension.

Colours are Alfa Gregio Quartz bodywork,
    Stripes Lotus Lava orange with a colour changing additive giving a very subtle colour change in different light
    BMW titan silver.

Tyres
    Pirelli P Zero Rosso
    245/35/ZR18 front
    335/30/ZR18 rear.

Length: 4000mm
    Width: 1850mm
    Height: 1070mm
    Wheelbase: 2560mm
    Ground Clearance: 120mm (adjustable)
    Weight: 950kg
    1060kg with fluids

Interior is fairly purposeful and surprisingly comfortable (ok, my backside got a bit numb driving it 450 miles from the Midlands to Bonnie Scotland)
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Murph7355 is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Club Member
    Name
    Murph

Sounds like a lot of fun! Enjoy it - and take it easy with the right foot if you guys are getting as much rain up there as we are here!

Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Murph7355 View Post
    Sounds like a lot of fun! Enjoy it - and take it easy with the right foot if you guys are getting as much rain up there as we are here!
    All the talent needed to drive this car quickly is in my right foot!!!

So... Coming backwards to a hedge near you.....

Name
    Carl

Looks great fun...is the power through the rear? Donuts would be a doddle

mon the fish is offline Frankenstein's monster - The Ferrari F430 Committee Member
    Name
    Gordon

What are these like on the road? Are they too track focused, or a good car for a country road blast?

Name
    Jim

The main word that describes them on the road is "intimidating."

Visibility is fairly limited. The high wing mirrors look fab but you only really get a good view of the rear wing. There is so much torque that you could just keep it in 3rd gear and that would see you alright from about 10mph to about 130mph. It is noisy in the cabin from the engine as well and there is a fair of road noise from the monster tyres.

The intimidation seems to work both ways. It must look awesome in a rear view mirror because if I am out for a gentle pootle about on the road I have never been in anything that makes every other car on the road pull over like the Ultima does. On the motorway it borders on being embarrassing and I want to shout out that I don't really want to overtake anyone.

I think the main limitation on the road would be the drivers ability. The lack of any computery driver aids make means there is nowhere to hide and the raw performance stats (0-60 in 2.6s, 0-100 in 5.3s, 0-150 in 11.9s, 20-70 in 1.8s) mean that in the right hands it should be devastating.

Ultima took a stock car to the Top Gear Track and beat the Stig's best time for any car by almost 5 seconds
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKX2KZruc3E

And they put slicks on it and did a faster lap than an FXX

I like it. I think I will always have one from now on. In a way it is a bit like the Ferrari in as much as every drive in it is a total event.
    I took it up to a couple of the Scottish car meets last year and it's fair to say it got a bit of attention. Should be doing a few more this coming summer so you should see it

mon the fish is offline Frankenstein's monster - The Ferrari F430 Committee Member
    Name
    Gordon

Great, thanks. Look forward to seeing it!

I was wondering how it would be on the bit of the A93 between Spittal and the ski centre - twisty & bumpy, I always think that part of the road is a real test for cars of this type - i.e. suspension stiffness, ride height etc

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast