Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ultima GTR

mon the fish is offline Frankenstein's monster - The Ferrari F430 Committee Member
    Name
    Gordon

What are these like on the road? Are they too track focused, or a good car for a country road blast?

Name
    Jim

The main word that describes them on the road is "intimidating."

Visibility is fairly limited. The high wing mirrors look fab but you only really get a good view of the rear wing. There is so much torque that you could just keep it in 3rd gear and that would see you alright from about 10mph to about 130mph. It is noisy in the cabin from the engine as well and there is a fair of road noise from the monster tyres.

The intimidation seems to work both ways. It must look awesome in a rear view mirror because if I am out for a gentle pootle about on the road I have never been in anything that makes every other car on the road pull over like the Ultima does. On the motorway it borders on being embarrassing and I want to shout out that I don't really want to overtake anyone.

I think the main limitation on the road would be the drivers ability. The lack of any computery driver aids make means there is nowhere to hide and the raw performance stats (0-60 in 2.6s, 0-100 in 5.3s, 0-150 in 11.9s, 20-70 in 1.8s) mean that in the right hands it should be devastating.

Ultima took a stock car to the Top Gear Track and beat the Stig's best time for any car by almost 5 seconds
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKX2KZruc3E

And they put slicks on it and did a faster lap than an FXX

I like it. I think I will always have one from now on. In a way it is a bit like the Ferrari in as much as every drive in it is a total event.
    I took it up to a couple of the Scottish car meets last year and it's fair to say it got a bit of attention. Should be doing a few more this coming summer so you should see it

mon the fish is offline Frankenstein's monster - The Ferrari F430 Committee Member
    Name
    Gordon

Great, thanks. Look forward to seeing it!

I was wondering how it would be on the bit of the A93 between Spittal and the ski centre - twisty & bumpy, I always think that part of the road is a real test for cars of this type - i.e. suspension stiffness, ride height etc

Name
    Jim

Well, I eventually got my car back from the factory last week. Unfortunately I ran out of talent going round a bend about 6 months ago and ended up spinning and whacking a wall. No real speed involved, just too much power, not enough traction and not enough time (or skill) to catch it. Fortunately it was only front end damage and nothing particulatly significant but it did need sending back to the factory to be fixed and it seemed like a perfect opportunity to upgrade bits to the new Evolution spec.

That included new double adjustable dampers, Evo extended wishbones and all the suspension gubbins that goes with that, new radiators and fans fans, battery, Evo style c/f splitter, c/f light units and Evo LED lights, lightweight wheels, new tyres, new angled steering arms, new quicker ratio steering rack, different track rods, new wheel offsets. lighter forged wheels reducing unsprung weight, new damper design, stiffer front chassis, new front clam, new side windows and vents, full paint job, full frontal and flanks Paintshield self healing paint protection film, factory geo setup, road test and service, aircon service, and probably lots of other bits I can't remember.

Anyhow... the pics

Name:  GTR-1.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  107.7 KBName:  Gtr4.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  78.9 KBName:  ultima-b.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  72.0 KBName:  Ultima-engine-3.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  145.2 KBName:  Ultima-engine-4.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  100.9 KBName:  Ultima-light-2.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  120.9 KBName:  Ultima-home-1.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  137.2 KBName:  12443867_10153974397058033_1770797274_o.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  74.7 KBName:  P1110430-small.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  94.2 KB

Hud is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Club Member
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Murph7355 View Post
    Some lovely images there...

All the second one is missing, however, is a lady with massive norks across the rear wing
    Kirk Verdi stuff

lovely car.. Congrats!

sssdu01 is offline No I'm Spartacus Committee Member
    Name
    Simon Dutton

Looks great but where is the dashboard compartment for the spare pants ??? I think you might need them

markst is offline You thought the Enzo was ugly? - The Ferrari FXX
    Name
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by renmure View Post
    All the talent needed to drive this car quickly is in my right foot!!!

So... Coming backwards to a hedge near you.....

sorry I could not help myself

Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by markst View Post
    sorry I could not help myself
    Haha.. I am sure you can guess how often that very thought went through my head in the fraction of a second between "Oh ****!!" and "Bang"

markst is offline You thought the Enzo was ugly? - The Ferrari FXX
    Name
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by renmure View Post

Haha.. I am sure you can guess how often that very thought went through my head in the fraction of a second between "Oh ****!!" and "Bang"

easily done though , and I distinctly remember running out of skill a few years ago and ended up in a hedge - well half the car did , the other half was still in the tree

looks a fab motor and really special

Name
    Russell

Stunning car and great story. Lets hope this year is less eventful for you.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast