Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tyre Choices for 575M

Chriss is offline Rear lights like a farm gate - The Ferrari 348 Club Member
    Name
    Chris S

Default Tyre Choices for 575M

Having done almost 4,000 miles since picking up my 2004 575m from Italy in mid June, a new set of tyres are going to be needed before long, starting with the rears.

Currently the car is on Michelins and the plate on the car gives the spec for this make only.

Is it possible that the suspension on my car was set up specifically for these tyres ?
    Would it perform worse or better on a more modern spec. tyre ?
    It used to be that Michelin had the reputation for longest tyre life. Is this still true today ?

The level of grip of the Michelins is good and the breakaway quite progressive on a dry road.
    They clear water effectively in the rain although I am extremely careful when it's wet.
    My only criticism is the level of road noise which on some surfaces is terrible.
    I would consider switching if there is another make that is as good as the Michelins but quieter running

Does anyone have experience of different types of tyres on V12 models ?
    A proper car has a V12 engine in the front

mon the fish is offline Frankenstein's monster - The Ferrari F430 Committee Member
    Name
    Gordon

As well as the Michelins, Bridgestone, Pirelli and Goodyear were all approved fitment when the 550 was new, I assume the 575 to be the same.

Tim Walker told me that the Bridgestones last longer but grip less, the Pirellis lots of grip but wear quickly.

Have a search for the EVO long term test reports of Harry's 550 - they do a write-up on different tyres

Name
    jos

The tyre plate reflects the original choice only so mine says Pirelli - in the States the latest Michelin (Pilot Super Sport) seem to be very popular - you may still have the older Pilot Sport or Sport 2

mon the fish is offline Frankenstein's monster - The Ferrari F430 Committee Member
    Name
    Gordon

My 550 has the pressures listed for different brands on the door surround - 2 bar for some, 2.2 for others

Name
    Chris S

Thanks for the tip about the EVO long term test.

Very interesting and useful info on the tyres. Quoting from the July 2006 report :

Around 6000 miles was the limit for a set of Pirelli P Zero Rossos; the rears would be visibly worn by then, while the fronts would seem OK at a casual glance but would be badly worn on their inside edge, causing serious deterioration in the handling. I had the geometry checked several times and it was always spot-on, so this type of uneven wear at the front would seem to be normal. But at this wear rate, and with tyres costing around £900 for a set of four, it would mean keeping the 550 in tyres alone was going to cost 15p per mile!

After working through three sets of Pirellis, I decided to give some Michelin Pilot Sports a try instead. While there was a significant decrease in the amount of grip, they lasted almost twice as long as each set of Pirellis had. Another advantage was that the 550ís playful handling could be enjoyed at much lower speeds. In fact, Iíve never before encountered such a gulf between two makes of tyres on the same car.

As I'm not interested in track days or driving my car on the absolute limit, I think I'll stick to Michelin but will investigate the choices. Their configurator recommends Pilot Super Sports but other UK tyre websites recommend Pilot Sport 2 or 3. I've emailed Michelin for specific advice

Name
    Gordon

The Super Sports do get a good write-up on Fchat

Name
    TW

Quote Originally Posted by mon the fish View Post
    As well as the Michelins, Bridgestone, Pirelli and Goodyear were all approved fitment when the 550 was new, I assume the 575 to be the same.

Tim Walker told me that the Bridgestones last longer but grip less, the Pirellis lots of grip but wear quickly.

Have a search for the EVO long term test reports of Harry's 550 - they do a write-up on different tyres
    Hi Gordon,

Not quite what I said - but never mind, in general there is very little to choose between the Bridgestone and the Pirelli, IMHO I feel the Bridgestone out handles the Pirelli in ultimate grip, however I think they tend to break away quite suddenly when you reach the end of that grip, the Pirelli will start to move around a little around the limit before breaking away therefore giving you a little signal that your on or close to the limit, which makes the tyre a little more predicatable.

Be carefull though if you trackday your car as both of these tyres wet weather ability is shattered when you have done several dry trackday's and the edges of the blocks are knocked off.

I hope that is of some help.

T.
    Last edited by WalkerSport; 21-10-2014 at 07:16 PM.

Name
    Gordon

Thanks Tim - what i think i was trying to say, but my memory is a little hazy!

sweeni is offline Kid's bed - The Ferrari F50 Club Member
    Name
    David Todd

I have a 550 which came with Pirelli's. Thought them very good in the dry and on track days but aquaplaned very easily in the wet. No chance of keeping up with a sales rep on the M1 in heavy rain thats for sure. Replaced them with the same type but last time went for Bridgestone, and whilst I have not tracked these I think the wet grip is even worse!
    Probably need to change early next year but just do not know what to go for. Did wonder about Goodyear?
    "When Lance "cries" on Oprah , spare a thought for all of those genuine people who walked away with no reward Ė just shattered dreams. Each one of them is worth a thousand Lances"

Name
    Chris S

I will obviously not go for Pirelli on grounds of rapid wear or Bridgestone for wet weather grip so that leaves Goodyear and Michelin.

My experience with half worn Michelins shows that they are quite good in the wet, considering the width of the tyres so that still leads me to favour sticking with them.

Tim, you haven't mentioned Michelins, do you have any experience of them ?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast