Page 87 of 89 FirstFirst ... 37778586878889 LastLast
Results 861 to 870 of 889

Thread: F430 New owner diary inc. maintenance & upgrades

  1. #861
    Mike01606's Avatar
    Mike01606 is offline Nowhere to put the shopping -The Ferrari F40 Club Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Cheshire
    Name
    Mike M
    Posts
    3,325

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sssdu01 View Post
    Watching this with interest as I need to do a bit of a suspension refresh
    Me too as I want to refresh my front end during the winter.......

    I was looking the other day and found these on Lovetts eBay site and started to see if I could cross-match.

    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FERRARI-4...7870%7Ciid%3A1

    They just need to rotate the joint slightly so we can see the full NMB number

  2. #862
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    London
    Name
    Gregor Wallace
    Posts
    4

    Default

    im tempted to get the grey panel resprayed on the front air dams - what is the colour code please?

  3. #863
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    London
    Name
    Mark
    Posts
    915

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike01606 View Post
    Me too as I want to refresh my front end during the winter.......

    I was looking the other day and found these on Lovetts eBay site and started to see if I could cross-match.

    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FERRARI-4...7870%7Ciid%3A1

    They just need to rotate the joint slightly so we can see the full NMB number
    Did you mean to post a link to the lower bearing, Mike? The eBay link is for the upper bearing which I've provided the details for.

  4. #864
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    London
    Name
    Mark
    Posts
    915

    Default

    I've looked into the adhesive a bit more, just to be doubly sure, and today I came across a FNE technical bulletin from 2015 that covers ball joint replacement:

    Name:  Loctite_9466_Hysol.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  85.8 KB

    So that confirms 9466 is suitable for the job and specified by Ferrari.

    The difference between the two is as follows:

    Tensile Lap Shear Strength on anodised aluminium
    EA 9360 (AERO) at 25 degrees C = 5000psi
    EA 9466 at 25 degrees C = 2,595psi

    The aerospace grade EA 9360 has a significantly greater resistance to shear but is over-specced for the application.

    On reflection, at £75 vs £15 I'd probably go with the EA 9360 - purely because of the lack of seating ridge on of the upper joints which leads to them floating between the sealing circlips as the adhesive weakens over time. I'd like to correct that if possible.

  5. #865
    Mike01606's Avatar
    Mike01606 is offline Nowhere to put the shopping -The Ferrari F40 Club Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Cheshire
    Name
    Mike M
    Posts
    3,325

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MWStewart View Post
    Did you mean to post a link to the lower bearing, Mike? The eBay link is for the upper bearing which I've provided the details for.
    No....I linked the wrong one 🤡

    How easy are they to disassemble to reuse the centres?

    Iíve also been advised to use the Ferrari boots as the Non-OEM ones are stiffer and fail quicker.

  6. #866
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    north west
    Name
    CPD
    Posts
    2,650

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MWStewart View Post
    I've looked into the adhesive a bit more, just to be doubly sure, and today I came across a FNE technical bulletin from 2015 that covers ball joint replacement:

    Name:  Loctite_9466_Hysol.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  85.8 KB

    So that confirms 9466 is suitable for the job and specified by Ferrari.

    The difference between the two is as follows:

    Tensile Lap Shear Strength on anodised aluminium
    EA 9360 (AERO) at 25 degrees C = 5000psi
    EA 9466 at 25 degrees C = 2,595psi

    The aerospace grade EA 9360 has a significantly greater resistance to shear but is over-specced for the application.

    On reflection, at £75 vs £15 I'd probably go with the EA 9360 - purely because of the lack of seating ridge on of the upper joints which leads to them floating between the sealing circlips as the adhesive weakens over time. I'd like to correct that if possible.
    Mark the switch was when the spares policy was changed from whole wishbone replacement to being able to press bearings out and replace. For that reason I insisted everything on my 599 was done with 9466 and the same for the ones I have had done on my F430. Using the higher grade is well beyond the application and just makes eventual replacement harder and more risky.

  7. #867
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    London
    Name
    Mark
    Posts
    915

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike01606 View Post
    No....I linked the wrong one 🤡

    How easy are they to disassemble to reuse the centres?

    Iíve also been advised to use the Ferrari boots as the Non-OEM ones are stiffer and fail quicker.
    I will write a guide in due course and update the thread. I will start fitting everything in the autumn.

    I'm going to look into a source for the boots.

    Quote Originally Posted by Modificato View Post
    Mark the switch was when the spares policy was changed from whole wishbone replacement to being able to press bearings out and replace. For that reason I insisted everything on my 599 was done with 9466 and the same for the ones I have had done on my F430. Using the higher grade is well beyond the application and just makes eventual replacement harder and more risky.
    Thanks Chris. That image is from the bulletin issued for the replacement procedure. That is a good point regarding ease of replacement.

  8. #868
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    London
    Name
    Mark
    Posts
    915

    Default

    If anyone is interested: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/263935370186

  9. #869
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    London
    Name
    Mark
    Posts
    915

    Default

    Long time no car stuff. It was due its 30k service earlier in the year; Aldous from AV Engineering gave a good price, and that's where I'll most likely send the car from now on, but time pressures meant it ended up at a Ferrari main dealer close by. I've done a few odd jobs over the past week.

    Winter Jobs
    Replacement moisture barrier for the luggage compartment bulkhead. They are made from pre-formed Polyethylene foam.
    Name:  DSC02260.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  79.9 KB

    The screws securing the luggage compartment trim are made from cheese, so its important to be careful with them. The sealing compound for the moisture barrier can clog the threads, but I found a 15 minute soak in petrol dissolves it nicely.
    Name:  DSC02259.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  107.8 KB

    I removed the external window scrapers to polish underneath, but found telltale aluminium oxide. I ended up sanding a couple of areas down to bare aluminium, then etch priming, base, and lacquer. I've sprayed Dinitrol wax in most of the doors and behind seals: the channel in which the scraper sits is a bit of a water trap.
    Name:  DSC02263.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  104.3 KB
    Name:  DSC02264.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  87.8 KB

    The N/S window went up and down much more slowly than the O/S. With the door card and moisture barrier removed an inspection revealed a very well-greased mechanism. I decided to clean and re-apply grease anyway, and to my surprise, this fully restored performance.
    Name:  DSC02261.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  80.4 KB

    16M Door Cards
    Amongst several other things I picked up a set of complete door panels from a salvage 16M. I do like car parts/engineering but these are particularly nice. They are quite a bit nicer than the Scuderia version which can be seen behind in the second photo. The 16M cards have kevlar reinforcement in key areas. I'll post up a weight analysis in a later update.
    Name:  DSC02565.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  87.3 KB
    Name:  DSC02487.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  111.0 KB

    The speakers are secured to beautifully machined billet mounts. I'll post full details of the sound system another time.
    Name:  DSC02491.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  111.0 KB

    I also purchased the wiring looms. I've checked these over, and found that the 16M does away with the door marker lights, and mirror heating/defrosting in order to pass the additional wires for the speakers; there are insufficient pins in the door loom to car multi-plug to support all functions. I don't know if the coupe does without these functions, but certainly for the 16M Ferrari made a call on what could be taken out.
    Name:  DSC02485.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  121.7 KB

    The 16M cards also feature a mass damper or an impact attenuator. I don't know which and the part number doesn't return a result from any of the on line catalogues. Hopefully it's just an impact attenuator which I'm happy to do with out, but if there's lot of buzzing caused by the woofers I'll have to add them back in. Weight of the pair is 1.042kg which ins't insignificant given the total weight of the carbon cards.
    Name:  DSC02488.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  96.7 KB
    Name:  DSC02501.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  53.5 KB

    On standard order Scuderia and 16M door cards the stitching for the map pocket wasn't matched to the rest of the car, and nor was the door bin liners, which were always grey Alcantara . I'm going to send the pockets away to be stitched in red, and the Alcantara pads to be re-made in red leather.
    Name:  DSC02578.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  146.4 KB

    There are a few brackets to remove from the F430 door which will be replaced with a Scuderia equivalent that I'll fabricate. They are simply riveted on with aluminium brackets.
    Name:  DSC02507.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  95.6 KB

    There is also a bracket on the electric window mechanism which is cut off on the Scuderia. I've done the same and finished with some edging trim.
    Name:  DSC02549.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  42.8 KB
    Name:  DSC02550.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  97.2 KB

    All brackets removed - 0.157kg.
    Name:  DSC02555.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  114.1 KB

    Misc
    I picked up the Scuderia floor plates from the 16M. I don't think these will be going in, at least in standard form; my OH doesn't like them one, which I'll conned to, but also they weight a silly 3.688kg - that is heavier than the carpet and sound deadening that they would replace. If I ever go this route I will have them copied in carbon, and painted to match the standard steel items.
    Name:  DSC02503.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  88.1 KB

    I picked up a spare pair of OEM Scuderia airbox lids. Surprisingly, not at all yellowed near the exhaust.
    Name:  DSC02574.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  84.0 KB
    I'm about to have some more parts reupholstered. For anyone interested, Filan polyester thread #35826 matches the original.
    Name:  DSC02560.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  48.3 KB

    I also picked up the glove box document holder from the 16M. I've marked out the fastening points on my glove box, then drilled, and added rivnuts.
    Name:  DSC02340.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  41.3 KB

  10. #870
    Mike01606's Avatar
    Mike01606 is offline Nowhere to put the shopping -The Ferrari F40 Club Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Cheshire
    Name
    Mike M
    Posts
    3,325

    Default

    Good updates Mark,

    The £100 vapour barrier!

    It must to 95% there now. What's left?

Similar Threads

  1. New F430 Owner - Advice Please?
    By Demon in forum Ferrari Talk
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-05-2014, 12:50 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-02-2013, 11:54 PM
  3. New F430 owner!
    By jez in forum Ferrari Talk
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 30-05-2012, 09:39 AM
  4. New F430 owner
    By gary.taylor17 in forum Ferrari Talk
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 22-01-2012, 08:12 PM
  5. New F430 Owner saying hello
    By Nilesh in forum Ferrari Talk
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 22-01-2012, 08:08 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •