Page 67 of 70 FirstFirst ... 17 57 65 66 67 68 69 ... LastLast

Thread: F430 New owner diary inc. maintenance & upgrades

MWStewart is offline I have a dodgy moustache - the Ferrari 308 Club Member
    Name
    Mark

Steering wheel paddles completed
    I was happy with the Arduino code and tested as much as I could using a digital simulation so the next step was to build the actuation element of the circuit: this is the part that varies the resistance of the circuit based on paddle position, and it is controlled by my Arduino code. The first prototype is complete and tested and shown below.
    Name:  8564.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  89.2 KB

I've housed the three elements; Arduino, power regulation & protection, and the actuation circuit within a plastic box. I've used a panel mount Molex connector to join to the car wiring loom. Internally I've used locking DuPont connectors, but for added reliability and vibration resistance I've sealed the locking tabs with butyl. I have matched the OEM wire colours where I'm interfacing with existing wiring.
    Name:  8580.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  88.5 KB
    Name:  8582.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  35.3 KB

I found a nice space behind the steering module next to the OE timer module. I've secured my module with Velcro.
    Name:  8584.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  46.5 KB

Next I turned to the Maserati clock spring. To recap, it is a dual stage airbag version of the single stage airbag F430 clock spring, and I'm re-purposing one of the airbag stages for my paddle wires. I found I had to attach the F430 plugs because the Maserati uses a different type with inbuilt wire wound resistor.
    Name:  8562.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  55.1 KB

Here's my clock spring mounted with the F430 airbag connector and two additional paddle connectors that I wired in.
    Name:  8572.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  60.9 KB

On the column side of the steering wheel I had to add some pins to the clock spring connector. They are fairly generic Tyco pins of which I had some in stock from a BMW project. I added the pins and ran a power and earth (same earth as the paddles) to my new module behind the dashboard. I also extended a second set of wires from the existing F1 paddle plug to my module rather than cutting off the OE plug and relocating the wires; one of my design requirements was to ensure the entire conversion was reversible if required - if my module is disconnected the OE paddles will still plug in and function without any further changes.
    Name:  8570.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  74.4 KB

Manual gearbox steering column trims - no cut outs for the OE column mount paddles.
    Name:  7762.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  60.9 KB

Wheel and airbag mounted.
    Name:  8592.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  47.7 KB

Of course, the proof is in the pudding. I used the Autel to first check the OE paddles were working and the Autel was recording their status - it was. I next checked what errors to expect if the OE paddle assembly was disconnected: the TCU reports error for up, down, and neutral (nothing pressed). I then cleared codes and plugged in my module: it worked first time. I am quite proud of that because despite the conversion appearing to be a simple change, in the end it actually wasn't.
    Name:  8578.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  66.2 KB

I'll trial the system over the coming months and make any programming or paddle position adjustments if necessary.

Carbon mirrors
    I've been waiting a while now for a good set of OE mirrors to come up for sale and now I have some.
    Name:  8576.jpg
Size:  71.1 KB
    Name:  8574.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  73.8 KB

A RHD set is next to impossible to find so I settled for LHD. On the F430 it is the mirror base which determines this - the mirror cases themselves are identical between LHD/RHD.
    Name:  8588.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  59.4 KB

For now I have reassembled my mirrors using the carbon casings, and I'm going to send off the carbon bases to be modified for RHD. Total weight saved by the mirrors is 0.679kg.
    Name:  8586.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  65.1 KB

Front brakes
    In the end I decided I would fit stainless pistons to the Scuderia calipers, because they are temporary until I finish the Speciale conversion and new stainless pistons would make them a more attractive proposition for others at sale time. I commissioned a set of new pistons to my spec including some spares, for £100. The complete set is 351 grammes heavier than the original pistons, but they are lighter than other stainless pistons available commercially.
    Name:  8566.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  73.9 KB

I've used 458 pad wear sensors because they monitor both pads in each caliper.
    Name:  8568.jpg
Size:  69.0 KB

Complete
    I took a shot of the Scud Ing Swiss Ultimate DRLs in the new carbon headlight housings. Very pleased with both!
    Name:  8594.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  31.7 KB

The car is not totally complete because I'm still waiting for some of the interior parts to be re-trimmed, but I'm at a stage where it can go back to Christian Lewis for another shot at the gearbox configuration.
    Name:  8590.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  52.9 KB

Mike01606 is offline Frankenstein's monster - The Ferrari F430 Club Member
    Name
    Mike M

Fascinating stuff as ever Mark......
    I thought I was keeping up but is the 16M box now fitted?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Name
    Mark

Thanks Mike. The 'box is in - the bulk of the work has been the electronics required to use it. Nearly there now!

Name
    CPD

Great progress and top work.

I think these projects show that modern cars are not to be feared as much as the dealerships would have us believe and that with a good grounding in technical skills you can achieve great things. I draw the tine at software myself so cap is duly doffed for the paddle shift work.

The F430 mirrors were made by Valeo - plant is outside Barcelona - I have a contact who used to run the plant so will see if they have any RHD mirror bases lying around.

I was there last year and they still use an F430 mirror as an example of a medium complexity product they make.

Will PM you.

Nosevi is offline I have no life Committee Member
    Name
    Nos

Quote Originally Posted by Modificato View Post

The F430 mirrors were made by Valeo - plant is outside Barcelona - I have a contact who used to run the plant so will see if they have any RHD mirror bases lying around.

I was there last year and they still use an F430 mirror as an example of a medium complexity product they make.

Will PM you.
    And that's the sort of thing that makes this forum a good place to be. Nice one, Mod

Name
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Modificato View Post
    Great progress and top work.

I think these projects show that modern cars are not to be feared as much as the dealerships would have us believe and that with a good grounding in technical skills you can achieve great things. I draw the tine at software myself so cap is duly doffed for the paddle shift work.

Will PM you.
    Thanks Chris, for the comments and the offer - that's superb!

Quote Originally Posted by Nosevi View Post
    And that's the sort of thing that makes this forum a good place to be. Nice one, Mod
    Definitely

Name
    Mark

Minor update but some progress. The car has been with Christian Lewis since Feb 27th for the following:

Phase one
    1. Fit the carbon fibre hood tray Ė potentially a 10kg weight saving. Ed also recommended I take the opportunity to have the roof oil replaced, so I am.
    2. Adjust the roof as there is a part of the N/S door seal that doesnít quite sit flush.
    3. Give the roof a general health check for alignment and elastic straps loosening.
    4. Raise both front shocks/spring perches by 10mm to equalise ride height.
    5. Full geo to 16M spec on the Hunter machine Ė I previously had the toe adjusted to spec, not camber, too.
    6. Steering angle sensor (SAS) calibration.
    7. Clear codes from everything.

Phase two - TCU
    1. Calibration of DEIS parameters.
    2. Self-learning.
    3. Superfast shift self-learning.
    4. Reading of closed clutch value from old TCU and input into new one.
    5. Calibration of acceleration sensor offset (yaw sensor).
    6. Kiss point procedure.

Then and annual service, and MOT.

Once the pre-requisites for the gearbox work were done i.e. SAS calibration the remaining errors were gone, the Manettino became operational, and the TCU successfully completed through a DEIS procedure; this is confirmation the electronics conversion was successful and the modules appear to be working in harmony. Itís now over to Edís experience to run through the rest.

The car will be ready for the 31st Ė canít wait to drive it.

Name
    CPD

Quote Originally Posted by MWStewart View Post
    Thanks Chris, for the comments and the offer - that's superb!

Definitely
    Mark with 3D printing we can probably get what you want made even if there are none lying around PM me for details so I can mail my contact.

Gavit is offline Pink pimped up Vauxhall Corsa Club Member
    Name
    Charles

In an earlier post you show a picture of a car cover, two seat covers, a windscreen cover, a bag and two round covers. What are the round covers for?

I have just bought an F430 Spider complete with the bag, car cover and two seat covers but just one round cover and I have no idea what the round cover is for.

Thanks.
    'Water so clear you can see to the bottom. $100,000 cars, everybody got em.' - Lyrics, Miami - Will Smith

Mike01606 is offline Frankenstein's monster - The Ferrari F430 Club Member
    Name
    Mike M

Quote Originally Posted by Gavit View Post
    In an earlier post you show a picture of a car cover, two seat covers, a windscreen cover, a bag and two round covers. What are the round covers for?

I have just bought an F430 Spider complete with the bag, car cover and two seat covers but just one round cover and I have no idea what the round cover is for.

Thanks.
    Your steering wheel

Page 67 of 70 FirstFirst ... 17 57 65 66 67 68 69 ... LastLast