Page 68 of 76 FirstFirst ... 18586667686970 ... LastLast

Thread: F430 New owner diary inc. maintenance & upgrades

Gavit is offline Del Boy's Reliant Robin Club Member
    Name
    Charles

Quote Originally Posted by Mike01606 View Post
    Your steering wheel
    So they aren't His 'n' Hers showers caps? Seriously though, why are there two in Mark's photo' just coincidence?
    'Water so clear you can see to the bottom. $100,000 cars, everybody got em.' - Lyrics, Miami - Will Smith

Name
    Mark

One is from the original F430 set and one is from the new 16M set I bought

Mike01606 is offline Looks like a 308 to me? -The Ferrari 288 GTO Club Member
    Name
    Mike M

Quote Originally Posted by MWStewart View Post
    One is from the original F430 set and one is from the new 16M set I bought
    I thought it was because you'd put so much work into that wheel you were covering it twice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nosevi is offline I have no life Committee Member
    Name
    Nos

Steering wheel paddles completed
    I was happy with the Arduino code and tested as much as I could using a digital simulation so the next step was to build the actuation element of the circuit: this is the part that varies the resistance of the circuit based on paddle position, and it is controlled by my Arduino code. The first prototype is complete and tested and shown below.

I've housed the three elements; Arduino, power regulation & protection, and the actuation circuit within a plastic box. I've used a panel mount Molex connector to join to the car wiring loom. Internally I've used locking DuPont connectors, but for added reliability and vibration resistance I've sealed the locking tabs with butyl. I have matched the OEM wire colours where I'm interfacing with existing wiring.

I found a nice space behind the steering module next to the OE timer module. I've secured my module with Velcro.

Next I turned to the Maserati clock spring. To recap, it is a dual stage airbag version of the single stage airbag F430 clock spring, and I'm re-purposing one of the airbag stages for my paddle wires. I found I had to attach the F430 plugs because the Maserati uses a different type with inbuilt wire wound resistor.

On the column side of the steering wheel I had to add some pins to the clock spring connector. They are fairly generic Tyco pins of which I had some in stock from a BMW project. I added the pins and ran a power and earth (same earth as the paddles) to my new module behind the dashboard. I also extended a second set of wires from the existing F1 paddle plug to my module rather than cutting off the OE plug and relocating the wires; one of my design requirements was to ensure the entire conversion was reversible if required - if my module is disconnected the OE paddles will still plug in and function without any further changes.

Of course, the proof is in the pudding. I used the Autel to first check the OE paddles were working and the Autel was recording their status - it was. I next checked what errors to expect if the OE paddle assembly was disconnected: the TCU reports error for up, down, and neutral (nothing pressed). I then cleared codes and plugged in my module: it worked first time. I am quite proud of that because despite the conversion appearing to be a simple change, in the end it actually wasn't.

I'll trial the system over the coming months and make any programming or paddle position adjustments if necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Modificato View Post
    Great progress and top work.

I think these projects show that modern cars are not to be feared as much as the dealerships would have us believe ..........
    While this is what I'm hearing, I'll stick with spanners and screwdrivers I think:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXJKdh1KZ0w&sns=em&autoplay=0

Kidding. Loving the project

sssdu01 is online now Only 37 known common faults - The Ferrari 355 Club Member
    Name
    Simon Dutton

Quote Originally Posted by Nosevi View Post
    While this is what I'm hearing, I'll stick with spanners and screwdrivers I think:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXJKdh1KZ0w&sns=em&autoplay=0

I wondered what Mod looked like

Name
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Mike01606 View Post
    Your steering wheel
    Yep, lol. I'd have thought the options for that one were quite limited

Name
    Nos

Quote Originally Posted by sssdu01 View Post
    I wondered what Mod looked like

Name
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Nosevi View Post

Haha. Here's the original

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ac7G7xOG2Ag

Name
    Nos

Yep, saw that one as well

Name
    Mark

Please excuse the poor quality photos in this update.

Carbon fibre hood tray
    Ed has fitted my carbon hood tray. It was interesting to compare the weight to the original part - the carbon part is considerably lighter.
    Name:  8606.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  72.1 KB

Here are a few photos of the car with the roof cassette removed. Quite a sight.
    Name:  8602.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  74.6 KB
    Name:  8600.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  88.4 KB
    Name:  8604.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  73.1 KB
    N.B. my paintwork hasn't faded: the car is covered in dust from standing in my workshop for over a year.

The new tray is made from unidirectional carbon fibre, but I asked for the rear external side to be finished in plain weave as it is faces into the engine bay where most other parts are also plain weave. I think this adds a very nice and completely unique finishing touch.
    Name:  8608.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  69.6 KB

Trimming update

My spare instrument cluster binnacle has been trimmed in the same red leather as my steering wheel etc.
    Name:  8610.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  41.8 KB
    Work on the rear bulkhead trims should be completed over Easter which leaves a few parts for the front to come later.

Thank yous
    I would like to thank some other owners and enthusiasts:

Richard from Brisbane, Australia, donated an OEM Ferrari charging plug to make a non-Ferrari CTEK unit a plug-and-play charger.
    Name:  8612.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  40.7 KB

Angelo from Italy has been providing some hard-to-find information, and again Carlo for assisting with parts and other knowledge.

More on the car soon.

Weight saving

Original F430 Part
    Fitted quantity
    Original Part (kg)
    Replacement Part (kg)
    Sprung Saving (kg)
    Unsprung Saving (kg)
    Replacement Part
    Pedals - brake 1 0.987 0.627 0.36 - 16M/Scuderia
    Pedals - brake and clutch height adjuster bracket 1 0.086 0 0.086 - Removed - unused
    Brakes - ABS/ESP - acceleration sensor 1 0.091 0 0.091 - Removed - function provided by CAN yaw
    Pedals - Pedals - accelerator assembly 1 0.883 0.869 0.014 - 16M/Scuderia
    Door hinges 4 0.705 0.5005 0.818 - Machined to reduce weight
    Dashboard plaque 'F430 Spider' - carbon version 1 0.025 0.086 -0.061 - '16M Scuderia Spider - Limited 499'
    Interior - centre console, complete (carbon driving zone) 1 2.253 1.341 0.912 - 16M (carbon)
    Windscreen washer tank, pumps, and minimum fluid 1 5.257 2.899 2.358 - 360 non-headlamp wash version adapted
    Headlamps - standard 2 0.3505 0.137 0.427 - 16M (carbon)
    Wing mirror pair 1 2.11 1.431 0.679 - 16M/Scuderia (carbon)
    Spider hood tray 1 8.45 1.555 6.895 - Bespoke carbon version
    Sprung weight saved: 88.174 kg
    Unsprung weight saved: 24.97 kg
    Total weight saved: 113.114 kg

Page 68 of 76 FirstFirst ... 18586667686970 ... LastLast