Page 79 of 85 FirstFirst ... 29697778798081 ... LastLast

Thread: F430 New owner diary inc. maintenance & upgrades

Modificato is offline Looks like a 308 to me? -The Ferrari 288 GTO Club Member
    Name
    CPD

My dealer pulled the stats on this failure mode it’s pretty consistent on cars with 2-3k per year. Leaks starting circa 20k

The design life is commensurate with the clutch life (circa 40-50k miles) but with regular use.

There was a car having its RMS done at the same time as mine 18k miles on it 2006 car.

It’s almost impossible for Ferrari to test designs for such low use and still create a design that works at the other end of the use spectrum. I really feel for the engineers and mechanics. Must mess with their heads big time.
    Last edited by Modificato; 04-03-2018 at 08:17 AM.

Nosevi is offline There's an outside too? Where? Super Moderator
    Name
    Nos

Quote Originally Posted by Modificato View Post
    My dealer pulled the stats on this failure mode itís pretty consistent on cars with 2-3k per year. Leaks starting circa 20k

The design life is commensurate with the clutch life (circa 40-50k miles) but with regular use.

There was a car having its RMS done at the same time as mine 18k miles on it 2006 car.

Itís almost impossible for Ferrari to test designs for such low use and still create a design that works at the other end of the use spectrum. I really feel for the engineers and mechanics. Must mess with their heads big time.
    Maybe just a function of increased performance? Had my old V8 close to 7 years now I guess. Low usage. Nothing remotely significant has broken yet.

She's in for an engine out belt change so now may be a stupid time to make such a statement

Name
    CPD

Itís one of those things that I would just do if ever disturbing a clutch or in any way breaking the seal between engine and gearbox. For the cost of the part and little extra work it makes sense. If not leave alone would be my advice

sssdu01 is online now No I'm Spartacus Committee Member
    Name
    Simon Dutton

Whilst I always look at what sensible stuff could/should be changed whilst you have paid the major expense of removing engine/box/etc, its very easy to get mission creep and end up re using the chassis and replacing EVERYTHING else !! Happened with my Elise, and my brother started off with a new gearbox on his VW camper van and ended up with a concourse nut and bolt rebuild

If car guys applied the same logic to women than they would be swapping them all the time

Name
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Modificato View Post
    Also mark there is a tribology related issue with seals not regularly used. Any oil film that drains out of the seal contact over time due to gravity can allow for micro-corrosion of the metal shaft, typically at the 11-12-1 oíclock points. On start up even a small amount can be enough to damage the seal.
    Ahh, yes - I've seen that when I've sent cranks for a regrind.
    Quote Originally Posted by little_daz View Post
    My rear main seal went the day after I picked it up from having a clutch and flywheel. Was a very interesting phone call when I looked at the car the next day and there was a pool of oil underneath. We discussed swapping it when the clutch was done but the technician said it looked fine....
    Needless to say this was done under warranty, thank god I found it then, as the cars been sitting since it was done, so I'd have had to pay when it went for an annual next month if I didn't find it then.
    Ouch! Funnily enough my car had a new clutch for the sale when I took ownership. It's probably just an awareness thing more than anything else but talk about spoiling the ship for a ha'p'orth of tar - what is the part cost? £20ish?

Name
    Daz

Quote Originally Posted by MWStewart View Post
    Ahh, yes - I've seen that when I've sent cranks for a regrind.

Ouch! Funnily enough my car had a new clutch for the sale when I took ownership. It's probably just an awareness thing more than anything else but talk about spoiling the ship for a ha'p'orth of tar - what is the part cost? £20ish?
    Yeah it's a massive £15.22! I don't see why it's not just done as part of the job. If the flywheel is off then change the sodding seal.
    I suppose it's a case of why do today what you can put off until tomorrow!

Name
    Carper Mike

Thoughts on this "Scud" @ £ 59,995 ?

Name:  media.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  51.0 KB

I will start with mine = " oh dear "

Full link here https://www.motor-hub.co.uk/used-car...01612190710291

Name
    Daz

I'm sure that's been doing the rounds for a while now.
    I'd love to know where all of the parts came from

sssdu01 is online now No I'm Spartacus Committee Member
    Name
    Simon Dutton

Whilst the whole thing looks like a spectacular waste of time and money, it would have been more fun to keep the 360 body and reterofit the scud oily bits

Name
    CPD

Quote Originally Posted by sssdu01 View Post
    Whilst the whole thing looks like a spectacular waste of time and money, it would have been more fun to keep the 360 body and reterofit the scud oily bits
    My thoughts ran along similar lines - whilst easy to poo poo the execution and the paint scheme etc. If Singer had done it or the factory as a special project everyone would have a trouser tent about it.

Indeed could be worth a punt, tidy it up and make a little more special and that’s a nice car for an entry level to the brand.

Page 79 of 85 FirstFirst ... 29697778798081 ... LastLast