Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Am I the only one...

Name
    Geoff T

Default National Anthem

Quote Originally Posted by Kyodo View Post
    Just to clarify, by no means do I begrudge Mercedes their success, I know it swings back and forth over time. I'd simply prefer to see them pushed a little closer to get the championship again. I find myself really looking forward to it then feeling a little bored with the result. I do enjoy listening to the interviews with Toto 'I'll be back' Wolff, just for the accent
    Who decided that Alesha Dixon should sing this, it has to be the worse that I've every heard it sung, I was embarrassed and hope that the Queen didn't hear it

Name
    cgt

Quote Originally Posted by Kyodo View Post
    Just to clarify, by no means do I begrudge Mercedes their success, I know it swings back and forth over time. I'd simply prefer to see them pushed a little closer to get the championship again. I find myself really looking forward to it then feeling a little bored with the result. I do enjoy listening to the interviews with Toto 'I'll be back' Wolff, just for the accent
    If Alonso was in the other car it would be really exciting. Politics aside, 2007 was a proper ding-dong battle between very equally matched team-mates. Rosberg is good (maybe even very good) but in reality few would say he is on the same level as Hamilton for speed, excitement and ruthless winning instinct.

This is exactly why the Toro Rosso situation is so engrossing to watch, two drivers, both with excellent ability, pushing each other in every race and every session. Rosberg tends to get beaten, bring it home safely in second and then talk about how he felt he could have got Lewis and how it annoys him to come second. Every session, every race (apart from two recently). Boring.

It was interesting to hear Hamilton's comment yesterday that when he was beaten off the line by the Williams he was pleased that it meant he would have to do some racing, not disappointed. If Bottas had been allowed to pass Massa it could have been a really exciting battle as Bottas is pretty sharp in close quarter battle.
    Last edited by cgt; 06-07-2015 at 05:22 PM.

Name
    cgt

The pattern that is emerging (feel free to disagree) is that Hamilton is definitely a step above Rosberg, hence why no wheel to wheel action, hence why boring Merc 1-2s.

Last season appeared closer but on deeper analysis that is because Hamilton made a few mistakes and suffered unreliability that gave the impression of a close battle. From Spa onwards HAM utterly dominated and even when he was behind simply overtook and passed as in the US GP. I struggle to think of instances where Rosberg has been behind then hunted down and executed a clean pass on Hamilton, certainly none since the middle of last year.

This is why a driver like Alonso is worth his weight in gold, he will fight tooth and nail. Shame he does not have the car to show it at the moment, but no way would he simply settle for being a No.2.

Verstappen really does appear to be from the same mould. When he grows up a bit more I think he will have a great career.

McLaren utterly dominated 1988 much as Mercedes are dominating now, but each race was a nail biter as Prost and Senna were so close to each other and each had an all out winning mentality.

francisn is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Admin dude
    Name
    Francis Newman

That was my 25th visit to Silverstone for the GP. Maybe it all comes over differently on TV but for me that was a bloody good race. I normally judge it by:

1. How bored I get during the race

2. How many around me start to nod off after too much beer.

I judge this year's race as being good as I didn't get bored and no-one was nodding off!

Good racing in GP2 and GP3 and the Porsche Supercup was entertaining.

Red Arrows on Sat did their normal excellent display and the Eurofighter Typhoon display yesterday was awesome.

So all in all another great British GP weekend. Booked and paid for next year

francisn is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Admin dude
    Name
    Francis Newman

Interestingly, the Honda engine has a much lower sound note than the Mercedes / Ferrari / Renault engines.

I don't know if that is significant.

Name
    Geoff T

Quote Originally Posted by francisn View Post
    Interestingly, the Honda engine has a much lower sound note than the Mercedes / Ferrari / Renault engines.

It's quieter because is going slower

Murph7355 is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Club Member
    Name
    Murph

Quote Originally Posted by cgt View Post
    ...Adrian Newey ...
    The single biggest difference across the teams IMO, for a fair while (whenever he's been fully focussed on the design job).

I'd like to see Newey and Brawn in the same team...

Quote Originally Posted by francisn View Post

Backed off the revs for reliability maybe?

Name
    Francis Newman

Quote Originally Posted by geoffpfc View Post
    It's quieter because is going slower
    But not quieter, just a lower sound. In fact a much better sound.

Name
    cgt

Yes the McLaren sounds deeper and more guttural. Shame it doesn't go as well as it sounds.

Name
    Geoff T

Quote Originally Posted by cgt View Post
    Yes the McLaren sounds deeper and more guttural. Shame it doesn't go as well as it sounds.
    A classic case of style over substance

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast