Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chipex Paint/chip repair

Name
    Mark

Default Chipex Paint/chip repair

I've managed to open my door onto the side wall of my house and taken a small chunk of pain off the door edge. I've seen this stuff: http://www.chipex.co.uk/ra/?utm_expi...iqEPGTSC-Igg.1 and wondered if anyone has used it/had any experience? It seems good from the videos & feedbacks etc, but always good to get a forum's opinion on things like this.

550v12 is offline Salesman's average 3 Series BMW Club Member
    Name
    Mark

I've used it on stone chips on a couple of my cars and it gives a good result. It is possible to build up the "valley" and therefore eliminate the damage.

Can you post a picture of the damage?

MalcH is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Club Member
    Name
    Malc Holden

I tried it on my regular car. It looks just as **** as it did before I started. However I'm sure much of it is down to the person who applied it.

F355GTS is offline Shocking waste of good kevlar - The Ferrari Enzo Club Member
    Name
    Mark Collins

One thing I learned from a pro is to warm the paint stick in hot water before using, makes a huge difference. I have bought chipex but tbh it's no different to buying any paint stick and building it up in lots of thin coats

Name
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by F355GTS View Post
    One thing I learned from a pro is to warm the paint stick in hot water before using, makes a huge difference. I have bought chipex but tbh it's no different to buying any paint stick and building it up in lots of thin coats
    That's interesting, as it doesn't appear to be a paint stick they're selling. It seems to be a small pot of paint, along with the 'blending' solution etc. I've tried paint sticks in the past and they've been rubbish, frankly. I was hoping this would be a better bet? Seems a good tip to warm it first though, thanks.

F355GTS is offline Shocking waste of good kevlar - The Ferrari Enzo Club Member
    Name
    Mark Collins

Quote Originally Posted by 348Marky View Post
    That's interesting, as it doesn't appear to be a paint stick they're selling. It seems to be a small pot of paint, along with the 'blending' solution etc. I've tried paint sticks in the past and they've been rubbish, frankly. I was hoping this would be a better bet? Seems a good tip to warm it first though, thanks.

It's a small pot of paint with a separate sponge paint stick, the 'blending solution' is a mild thinners. tbh It's not really any different to a carefully applied paint stick

Name
    Mark

Ok, bought the kit & thought it reasonable value for 27 inc delivery. Really pleased with the result, can't really see it up close, let alone from a few feet back.
    Before & after pics (sorry if the quality is rubbish, used the iPhone):

Before:
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  39.3 KB
    (Key held up for scale)

After:
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  36.6 KB

Sorry for the photo orientation! Still can't get to grips with rotating iPhone photos!!

Name
    Andy

That looks pretty good, would you mind posting a link to what you ordered?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Name
    Mark

Hi,

I posted a link in the opening post here....it was all via there, but manually inputted my colour (rosso 322) instead of putting my car reg details. I bought the smallest of the 3 kit sizes they do. There was also a discount code popped up for free p&p and 2.50 off, meaning I paid 26.50.

I'm pleased with the results & would happily try it on any stone chips I pick up.
    Last edited by 348Marky; 09-08-2016 at 06:55 PM.

Name
    Andy

Thanks 348Marky

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast