Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tesla Model S

Name
    steve

Not convinced about Tesla especially the autopilot and build quality https://youtu.be/sMz8TeVpMjM

Nosevi is offline There's an outside too? Where? Super Moderator
    Name
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by darft vader View Post
    Not convinced about Tesla especially the autopilot and build quality https://youtu.be/sMz8TeVpMjM
    When he talks of it being almost harder work being ready to take over when the car is on 'autopilot' than it would be just to be steering yourself, I can kind of see that.

Reminds me of my Dad saying how much he hated the Terrain Following Radar autopilot setup when he flew Tornados. He had spent years flying Harriers low level and said he trusted himself to miss the ground more than the kit. He was right too - couple of guys died when they found that although the kit worked fantastically for racing across Germany in a cold war scenario, the radar had a tendency of penetrating the tips of loosely packed sand dunes making the dunes appear lower to the kit than they were. The jet flew them straight into the sand dune. Point is, no tech is completely infallible. A Tornado had to have TFR to carry out its role (low level night attack), a car doesn't need to be able to steer itself.

francisn is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Admin dude
    Name
    Francis Newman

I think my friend has an 8 year contract with Tesla (might be 6 - can't remember) with guaranteed free charging and buy back price.

I drove from Berkshire to Birmingham and back today and in the daylight part saw 9 Tesla S which is reasonably impressive

markst is offline You thought the Enzo was ugly? - The Ferrari FXX Club Member
    Name
    Mark

i have a 22 mile drive to work which would be perfect for an EV, and I would certainly have one in the future when the cost be comes more realistic

Nosevi is offline There's an outside too? Where? Super Moderator
    Name
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by markst View Post
    i have a 22 mile drive to work which would be perfect for an EV, and I would certainly have one in the future when the cost be comes more realistic
    I would have an EV, nothing against them. But it'd have to be after they've got to the point where the electricity you use is green - charging using electricity from power stations mostly running on fossil fuels is a tad pointless.

Kyodo is offline Frankenstein's monster - The Ferrari F430 Club Member
    Name
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by darft vader View Post
    Not convinced about Tesla especially the autopilot...
    And especially the one that chap that killed himself in whilst using it.

AndrewE is offline Hey look at that Peugot 406! Oh no it's a Ferrari 360 Club Member
    Name
    Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by Nosevi View Post
    I would have an EV, nothing against them. But it'd have to be after they've got to the point where the electricity you use is green - charging using electricity from power stations mostly running on fossil fuels is a tad pointless.
    Not pointless at all - much better to generate electricity in bulk even if currently with a strong fossil fuel mix. Its so much more efficient than running around with fossil fuel plants in every car

Name
    Geoff T

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewE View Post
    Not pointless at all - much better to generate electricity in bulk even if currently with a strong fossil fuel mix. Its so much more efficient than running around with fossil fuel plants in every car
    It is pointless as the distribution losses for electricity are in the region of 60%, one of today's big mistakes is the use of natural gas to produce electricity, in the good old days of BG in the 1960's, the president, Sir Dennis Rook, convinced the government of the folly in using the North Sea Gas to produce electicity, which the CEGB wanted to do, it was more efficient to convert the entire country from Town Gas than pipe it into power stations.

If you want an electric car then install a wind turbine and solar panels to charge it up, with a standby generator for when they don't produce enough energy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12