Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Choices??

Name
    355Chris

Default Choices??

I have been out of Ferrari ownership for the last couple of years (I've owned 348TS, 355gtb, 355 spider and 360 spider), having tried an Aston V8 and a 997 turbo.

I have a few options in mind:

430 Spider (RHD)
    430 Scuderia (LHD)
    458 Italia (RHD 2011/2012; ill get 2yrs warranty and some service plan left with this)

Budget up to 150k. It will be for occasional use and a run to 🇮🇹 Italy.

What would you go for and why?
    What will fare best from a depreciation point of view?

Name
    jos

You have a history of Spiders which suggests 430 Spider but take that out of the equation then I'd go for a 458 as more modern technology and if/when the bubble bursts less depreciation than the Scud

Name
    Justin Kenyon

SCUD for me!! Investment opportunity and awesome to drive. The F1 single clutch system better then the double clutch system on the 458.

Name
    Philip

SCUD
    Driving: Its limited edition for a reason ... its special - just try it!
    Feeling: If you like your cars raw its its the only way to go
    Money: You stand a better chance of getting more for it than the other two when you sell ... and being LHD its a probably a better hedge against the falling in the next couple of years

Name
    Geoff T

Default 458

Unless you plan to drive a lot on track, then it's a no brainer, the 458 is a technological leap from the 430, akin to the change from 348 to 360, the 430 is just a tweak on the 360.

If you're looking for an investment then it's probably potluck, it seems that desirable scuds are near to their peak, but don't listen to me as I had shares in banks in 2008

Name
    Barry

i
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenyon View Post
    SCUD for me!! Investment opportunity and awesome to drive. The F1 single clutch system better then the double clutch system on the 458.
    I'd be interested to know why you think the 430 clutch system is better than the 458? I work for a Supercar experience day company that has both examples and the 458 gearbox is a huge improvement over the 430. The 458 is massive leap forward in technological terms, the car is so good I went and bought one.

Name
    Philip

I think it is very dependent on points of view and what each feels like. Being a more technologically efficient machine is not better for everyone.
    I haven't driven the 458 but I have driven the 488. I personally do not like the seamless change. In fact I was told during my test drive that the blip between gearchanges on the 488 is an engineered misfire so that the driver knows that the gear has changed, otherwise it would be completely seamless.
    I really did not like the 488. I felt it had too much technology, too much performance and too much comfort.
    Back on topic, i really like the "feel" of the scud gear change whacking you on your back and the violence/force it generates.
    Having said that I personally prefer more "retro" feel cars. I have a CS and i also prefer it to the Scud but I still hate the F1 box on the CS (in fact i don't like any F1 boxes but thats another story). The scud F1 is much better and the brakes are so reassuring vs a CS. I think the Scud has the same brakes as the 458 but I'm not sure.
    I also don't think that the Scud is only if you want to do track days. I thinks its a great car to just drive ... anywhere. It may actually also be a bit too loud for most trackdays (but certsinly not as limiting as a CS!)
    Anyhow my point is different strokes for different folks but for sure more tech does not mean a better driving experience to everyone.

Nosevi is offline There's an outside too? Where? Super Moderator
    Name
    Pete

I'd just go shopping, drive them and see which one you fancy. Nice dilemma to have

As far as depreciation goes, if the bubble goes pop (which every ex-owner round here is convinced will happen next Thursday) I think any will be the wrong side of the fence. A Scud would need to be RHD to be rare(ish), 458 - frankly there are loads of them, and a 430 Spider is very nice but not as nice as a 458 Spider. If the Ferari market goes pop relitively expensive but non-collectable examples will pop the loudest imo.

Bottom line - in the 150k today bracket I'd buy what YOU like.

Name
    Candellara

Quote Originally Posted by Barry P. View Post
    i

I'd be interested to know why you think the 430 clutch system is better than the 458? I work for a Supercar experience day company that has both examples and the 458 gearbox is a huge improvement over the 430. The 458 is massive leap forward in technological terms, the car is so good I went and bought one.
    458 is light years ahead of the 430. 458 is definitely the way to go

Name
    355Chris

A 458 Aperta would be perfect, but sadly our of my budget.

I think the 458 might be the right car plus I can get service plan and warranty.

The 430 spider is very me (I love cabs) plus it would be 40k cheaper. Im slightly concerned by the prices because, for their age, they seem expensive. Plus no warranty and they have manifold, clutch, ball joint potential maintenance.

The scud in my mind is least likely to depreciate (may go up), should be epic to drive and should be a real occasion. LHD doesnt bother me and would be handy for the euro trip.

Not sure im much further forward....

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast