Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Z4, Boxster, or...?

dave964 is offline No I'm Spartacus Club Member
    Name
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by mon the fish View Post
    If you go for the Z4, just make sure you go for the 3.0. You'll regret it otherwise IMO.

S2000 was something we also considered, but I doubted my missus would enjoy having to rev the thing so much

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    S2000 is something that occurred to me, but they're a tad higher than I want.

I'm favouring 3.0 but I don't think I'm set on it - if the right 2.5 appeared, I could be tempted but we'll see. I'm not in any rush - and may decide it's a bad idea altogether, but will get an idea of insurance from the broker tomorrow.

My Aston service is in just over a week, and the 360 needs to be within a month after that - so I'll probably wait to ensure I have no nasty surprises in the next month before looking seriously!

candellara is offline You thought the Enzo was ugly? - The Ferrari FXX Club Member
    Name
    Candellara

Z4M or S2000 - both a great buy IMO

Name
    Dave

So, it seems that 8k - 10k should get you in a 3.0 Si coupe with M sport pack. I'd definitely prefer that to a soft top, so let's see what the insurers think tomorrow.

I'd prefer not grey or silver which limits options slightly - wouldn't rule them out but a grey or silver would have to be a much better buy than a similar car that had some color (or was black!)

Mike01606 is offline Nowhere to put the shopping -The Ferrari F40 Club Member
    Name
    Mike M

Quote Originally Posted by dave964 View Post
    So, it seems that 8k - 10k should get you in a 3.0 Si coupe with M sport pack. I'd definitely prefer that to a soft top, so let's see what the insurers think tomorrow.

I'd prefer not grey or silver which limits options slightly - wouldn't rule them out but a grey or silver would have to be a much better buy than a similar car that had some color (or was black!)
    My missus has an 07 face lifted, 2.0l, roadster in Silver so not for you ;) but

As said before ditch the run flats if still fitted and our car has the M Sport 18" wheels and suspension upgrade which is both firmer and lower. I would not buy a car for daily use on **** UK roads with that wheel/suspension combo again or you need a good dentist.
    It does have the M Sport heated seats which are great looking and very comfy but so many of them have knackered bolsters that look really tatty.
    Weak spots seem to be ABS faults (search Trifecta!) like all Beemers of this era , tatty interiors, front fog lights full of water and falling roof pumps.

I agree these are one of bangles better designs.....but very marmite and not popular....

mon the fish is offline Frankenstein's monster - The Ferrari F430 Committee Member
    Name
    Gordon

If you do go for the Z4 roadster, you can have our Cabrioshield if you want (covers the roof and no more, for outside storage). We're getting a garage extension in a month or so, so won't need it as car will be inside in the future

Name
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by mon the fish View Post
    If you do go for the Z4 roadster, you can have our Cabrioshield if you want (covers the roof and no more, for outside storage). We're getting a garage extension in a month or so, so won't need it as car will be inside in the future
    Cheers - I'll let you know!

Name
    Dave

I'm experiencing budget creep.

Did you know, that in 2009 the convertibles switched to folding hard tops - and therefore if you increased your budget to 10k - 12k, you could include 3.0L cabrios with folding hard tops? I didn't until my most recent browse of classifieds......

(In fact, I think I have concluded I'd be as happy with a 2.5 - for the usage I intend for it, it needs similar performance to my Cayenne - which means 0-60 in ~7s is fine).

mon the fish is offline Frankenstein's monster - The Ferrari F430 Committee Member
    Name
    Gordon

An 06-08 Z4 is one of the last 'true' BMWs IMO - i.e. a straight six matched to a manual box. The N52 engine is a lovely thing, better without turbos

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

MalcH is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Club Member
    Name
    Malc Holden

Just been in a friend's 06 Boxster. I would take one myself.

Alfa options are 916 Spider's under 5k, Brera under 5k and 939 Spider.

I have a 2.0 TS Spider - 4 pot but for 5k you could have a glorious Busso V6. I know folk who do use them everyday and a recent Alfa outing a couple of weekends ago there was a 916 V6 Spider and that aforementioned Boxster.

However I would consider a Brera or the Spider equivalent (939).
    Alfa owners tend to be realistic in my view. Alfa's today are no more or less problematic than a Ford, Vauxhall, VW & BMW etc. Japanese cars are generally more reliable than European IMO. Ex had a MX5 from 1998 (new) until a few years ago and as somebody else mentioned above, it too was almost faultless.

Brera/939
    1.9 Diesel. Gearbox is fragile.
    EGR needs cleaning regular or mapping (delete).

2.4 Diesel. EGR though in my experience better than the 1.9.

2.2 JTS Petrol - I don't know of any issues.

2.0JTDm - Again not aware.

Common issues across diesel cars
    Swirl flaps
    EGR (mentioned)

Common issues

Weak suspension bushes.
    They tend to start groaning and creaking a bit over time though not MOT failures. In my experience bushes wear out quicker on Alfas more than any other marque I've owned and IMO is the downside to owning one.
    My 159 (Brera saloon if you like) after 11 years and 120k needs the front doing. Not sure if I'm the first to do this or not.

One other issue is sub-frames. Alfa probably did not expect to sell many in the UK and as such they were only powder coated. Again mine is corroded but waxoyl or Dinitrol (name?) is all that is required.

Might sound alot but Alfa owners are a honest bunch, BMW owners are born liars

IMO on looks alone a Z4, never liked the Z3 at all.
    Two Alfas and one Ferrari. Quite simply Italians design the prettiest cars in the world. Fact! Ze Germans can only dream.

One final note. The Busso V6 is arguably the best sounding V6 ever, and possibly as good as most Ferrari V8's for that sound too.
    The 3.2 V6 in the Brera is actually a GM design I think and not a Busso.

Name
    Dave

Thanks, I'll browse some Alfa's.

I'm expecting the insurers to come back to me with an estimated cost of adding a Z4 (I gave them 3 options to get a rough idea of cost) and that should help me decide how serious I am about it. I know it's not very logical but I'm happier dropping 10k on a car than increasing my annual insurance by 500 a year....

Boxster is out I think - I just don't trust them. (Plus - although I technically do still have a Porsche due to the Cayenne, having sold the 996 turbo when I bought the Vantage I just have no particular desire to get another Porsche).

ETA : Those Brera 2.2 petrols look lovely, and you seem to get an awful lot of car for the money. They even look like they have the centre console tilted towards the driver? Something my Supra's had, and always thought that was a lovely touch. They are definitely on the list of possibles I think!
    Last edited by dave964; 28-02-2017 at 01:32 PM.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast