Thread: Has anyone collected a car from a port?

Fluffekins is offline Toyota MR2 355 replica Club Member
    Name
    Russell

Default Has anyone collected a car from a port?

I've bought a car from a Ferrari dealer in Northern Ireland, they are shipping the car to Holyhead once it's been prepped etc. Thought I'd collect it and spend some time around Snowdonia getting to know the car.

Does anyone have any experience of doing something similar and if so, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

jos is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Club Member
    Name
    jos

Didn't the CS Welsh tour last year cover roads in that area ?

Name
    Russell

It was more the collecting a car from a container port than driving Snowdonia, but happy to take route suggestions too.

Siy is offline Hairdresser's Mercedes SLK Club Member
    Name
    Simon

I did collect a Porsche Spyder at Hollyhead - but not from container. The owner had someone form the ferry Co drive it on, and dive it of at this end - I just waited and took collection - very simple actually.
    Love the Cailfornia...!!!

Name
    Mark

I've shipped from USA, Japan, etc which is a bit different as there's customs clearance, etc. From NI I guess there's nothing like that.
    How is the dealer shipping it? Delivery driver just driving it on the ferry or on a truck? If so then I would think you meet the driver when he comes off the ferry, inspect car for damage, marks, etc. sign delivery note of driver. Obviously you will need to have insurance. Is the dealer leaving the NI reg plates on the car? If so then you could probably drive it. If no plates then you will need to transport from port.

wheels1 is offline Toyota MR2 355 replica Club Member
    Name
    Grant

If I was going to do that, then I would collect from C.H. in NI Russell.
    They transport the car to the ferry terminal on the back of a lorry, have to get someone else to drive it on and off the ferry, which is worrying. Why not fly over there and collect yourself? You wont be putting much more miles on the car?

Name
    Russell

Thanks for your comments guys, really useful.

If they were taking car to Holyhead, it would be a guy from CH drives it on the Ferry and leaves it for some guy on the other side from docks to drive it off - not ideal. However, if they take it to Birkenhead, there will be someone from one of their group dealerships (Vauxhall Liverpool) to collect the car and take it to the dealership, clean it and I can collect from there.

As for the question of flying to Belfast and coming back myself on the Ferry, that was an option but I just didn't really fancy my first drive in my car with little F1 gearbox experience to be onto a ferry ramp etc.

So I'll have a night out in Liverpool, collect car first thing, and drive back via some decent Welsh roads.

Things are falling into place.

Thanks again all.

Siy is offline Hairdresser's Mercedes SLK Club Member
    Name
    Simon

I think that makes sense.. when I collected my Spyder that way, it was leaving things to chance a little... but the clearance for ramps etc was easy in the Poersche. Think you made the right decision!
    Love the Cailfornia...!!!

swnyradar is offline Hairdresser's Mercedes SLK Club Member
    Name
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffekins View Post

So I'll have a night out in Liverpool, collect car first thing, and drive back via some decent Welsh roads.

Things are falling into place.

Thanks again all.
    Hi Russell, If you give me an idea of how much time/driving you plan on spending over here in God's Country,I'll post a google route up for you By the way, you never mentioned what car you're buying?
    Last edited by swnyradar; 21-03-2017 at 08:17 PM.

Name
    Russell

Quote Originally Posted by swnyradar View Post
    Hi Russell, If you give me an idea of how much time/driving you plan on spending over here in God's Country,I'll post a google route up for you By the way, you never mentioned what car you're buying?
    Really appreciate the offer, gutted that I've only just seen your message.

Had a good drive down towards Denbigh and then to Barmouth. I'm sure we missed some of the best roads though, encountered quite a lot of traffic. Then the long drive home. Great way to get to know the car. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...5bb4a02281.jpg