Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: O/T Alfa 8C running report - service

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    north west
    Name
    CPD
    Posts
    2,728

    Default O/T Alfa 8C running report - service

    Given the Alfa 8C Competizione Spider is in small part Ferrari - loads of common parts, and part Maserati I thought it useful to do some comparative data. I have owned the car since virtually new (32 miles in the odometer when I took delivery) and it is one of the last UK registered cars - 2012

    Today it went for its second service at 6,000miles which I have taken to doing every other year at the mileage I am doing which is not much at all really.

    Only two UK dealerships are tooled up for servcing the 8C and the only northern-ish one is Graypaul Nottingham.

    Sailed through the MOT and service with no advisories except to note rear tyres down to 4mm.
    Disc wear is 1% which reflects the later CCM technology vs. The earlier Ferrari Type
    Clutch wear is 6% which again reflects a later more refined F1 gearbox albeit with a shift strategy that is not as aggressive as my 430 but more refined in auto than my 599 Superfast F1
    No suspension issues bushes, ball joints, or track rods.
    Nothing has fallen off, stopped working or self destructed.
    Avg MPG 12
    Annual service was 720 which was 800 same as last year minus 10% for Alfa Owners club membership and repeat custom. The good thing was I needed it done while I waited so needed office space for the duration. This was duly organised with WIFI, coffee and food as if I was an employee.

    Service was done in five hours

  2. #2
    MalcH's Avatar
    MalcH is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Astley, Manchester.
    Name
    Malc Holden
    Posts
    11,573

    Default

    Sounds good Mod. Not done at conventional Alfa dealer then. I guess it really is not much Alfa.

  3. #3
    mon the fish's Avatar
    mon the fish is offline Frankenstein's monster - The Ferrari F430 Committee Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Aberdeenshire
    Name
    Gordon
    Posts
    2,028

    Default

    That's a good price IMO

    Sent from my SM-P605 using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    north west
    Name
    CPD
    Posts
    2,728

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MalcH View Post
    Sounds good Mod. Not done at conventional Alfa dealer then. I guess it really is not much Alfa.
    Yes it is only Ferrari / Maserati dealerships that were offered the service training and tolling package.

    Its a bitza, bitz o this, bitz o that.

    Chassis is a shortened Maserati, engine is the Maserati / Ferrari V8, transaxle gearbox is a one off commissioned for the job, body is all hand laid carbon, interior is very Alfa, styling is by Alfa Centro stile the list goes on.

    Alfa has a long tradition of doing such 'special' cars but yeah it's a bit of an orphan.

    I see it as a a Maserati SWB superleggera and it performs like one. It's an incredible thing to drive.

    The Alfa crowd love it, the Maserati crowd love it, a general Italian car crowd love it and it gets entree into lierally ANY event anywhere it's my 'access-all-areas' car.

    The only problem is the actual annual 8C reunion driving tours which is already at GTO type prices 9k for a few days in Monaco and a couple of drives....

  5. #5
    MalcH's Avatar
    MalcH is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Astley, Manchester.
    Name
    Malc Holden
    Posts
    11,573

    Default

    They are pretty cars. If you ever fancy turning up at our mini Alfa meet we have the odd Sunday at Rivington Barn then please do.
    I'll post a date up some time just in case.

  6. #6
    mon the fish's Avatar
    mon the fish is offline Frankenstein's monster - The Ferrari F430 Committee Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Aberdeenshire
    Name
    Gordon
    Posts
    2,028

    Default

    Was this like a Ferrari limited edition in that you had to be a special customer, or could anyone have walked into the dealer and bought one new?

    Sent from my SM-P605 using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    north west
    Name
    CPD
    Posts
    2,728

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mon the fish View Post
    Was this like a Ferrari limited edition in that you had to be a special customer, or could anyone have walked into the dealer and bought one new?

    Sent from my SM-P605 using Tapatalk
    At the time they were what the whole fiat group called 'collector edition cars'.

    Anyone could walk into a dealer apply place a small deposit and then it was a lottery for 500 cars worldwide for each edition. You do so knowing that if you are lucky you have to wire the funds thorough immediately and in full to Italy.

    My other half got lucky and we did get the Abarth 695 Tributo which arrived in the UK some time later.

    We didn't get either the 8C coupe or the spider (they were 2X oversubscribed) even though we applied for both. My neighbour actually got a coupe so sometime later when I went to get one out of someone's collection it had to be a spider. It turns out the spider solves a lot of the documented dynamic issues that the coupe has.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    north west
    Name
    CPD
    Posts
    2,728

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MalcH View Post
    They are pretty cars. If you ever fancy turning up at our mini Alfa meet we have the odd Sunday at Rivington Barn then please do.
    I'll post a date up some time just in case.
    That would be nice as its likely off to our home in Italy after this summer.

  9. #9
    sssdu01 is offline No I'm Spartacus Committee Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Gloucestershire UK
    Name
    Simon Dutton
    Posts
    1,442

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Modificato View Post
    At the time they were what the whole fiat group called 'collector edition cars'.

    Anyone could walk into a dealer apply place a small deposit and then it was a lottery for 500 cars worldwide for each edition. You do so knowing that if you are lucky you have to wire the funds thorough immediately and in full to Italy.

    My other half got lucky and we did get the Abarth 695 Tributo which arrived in the UK some time later.

    We didn't get either the 8C coupe or the spider (they were 2X oversubscribed) even though we applied for both. My neighbour actually got a coupe so sometime later when I went to get one out of someone's collection it had to be a spider. It turns out the spider solves a lot of the documented dynamic issues that the coupe has.
    Nice to see an impartial way of allocating "collectible" cars. Pity others dont do the same thing.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    north west
    Name
    CPD
    Posts
    2,728

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sssdu01 View Post
    Nice to see an impartial way of allocating "collectible" cars. Pity others dont do the same thing.
    Yeah some lovely folks with 8C's a real mix of owners and many using them.

Similar Threads

  1. 575 Running report
    By Lee Jones Jnr in forum Ferrari Talk
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 24-07-2010, 10:21 PM
  2. My 348 running report
    By Angelis in forum Ferrari Talk
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 19-04-2010, 07:16 PM
  3. FAO Stig Running Report
    By SteveP in forum Lounge
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-01-2006, 05:48 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •