Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2020 Corvette Stingray.

Nosevi is offline There's an outside too? Where? Super Moderator
    Name
    Pete

Default 2020 Corvette Stingray.

Never been a particular fan of American cars but has anyone seen the new 2020 Corvette Stingray?

They’ve dropped the traditional front engined layout in favour of a mid-engined V8. Not interested in saving the planet they’ve opted for 6.2 litre V8 rather than turbo charging etc. It seems pretty basic in many ways, they’ve gone back to a lift out targa which stows in the boot to save weight and cost rather than a folding hard top. It does have a dual clutch transmission and plenty of driving modes though. And it’s relatively practical (if you’re not buying the petrol) with 2 ‘trunks’ the rear one being big enough for 2 golf bags.

Looks wise it won’t be to everyone’s liking but it could be worse:

Name:  8D4430C1-1D82-46C3-99B0-39BDB4C2DFB8.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  29.3 KB

But here’s the kicker - 0-60 in round about 3 seconds for the base model (talk of quicker for later variants), base price of under £50k (in the US). If they’ve worked out how to make a car that’ll go round corners too that’s an insane price for a mid-engined car with that sort of performance.

Name
    Pete

Btw, they have announced they will be building it in RHD for the UK and Ozy markets.

Name
    Carper Mike

I just wished they had stopped before they put the side "blades" on ...... but you can ( and IMO should ) option them body colour

Name
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Carper View Post
    I just wished they had stopped before they put the side "blades" on ...... but you can ( and IMO should ) option them body colour
    Think I’d agree with that tweak

sssdu01 is offline No I'm Spartacus Committee Member
    Name
    Simon Dutton

At that price/performance level they will sell as many as the factory can produce. So what it its not going to be so good as current Feza/Lambo/MCL.
    50K is silly money and what else can you get brand new thats as fast? I also think it looks pretty good and might even have a test drive when it hits the UK. Lets hope we get the trade deal with Trump to see these with no import duties Who said Brexit was all bad !!

Name
    jos

You just know that however good it is the base headline price is unobtainable deliveries are probably a year out and in the UK it'll be nearer £ 100 000 for the official cars (old model is £ 80 000 before options I believe) - sadly a few percent less import duty will not help much

Name
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by jos View Post
    You just know that however good it is the base headline price is unobtainable deliveries are probably a year out and in the UK it'll be nearer £ 100 000 for the official cars (old model is £ 80 000 before options I believe) - sadly a few percent less import duty will not help much
    I'm not so sure, Jos, they're really pushing the price for performance thing in a big way. The current minimum 'drive away' price for a Stingray in the UK is about £75k vs just under $60k in the US. given the new mid-engine Stingray is set to cost the same as the current one I can't see why the new one will be any more.

I also read (on a US site) that the EU charges 10% tariffs on US cars so there is potential for a £7,500 drop in that price, after October the 31st obviously...………

Either way, it's still a huge price drop for that sort of performance from European manufacturers and when they strap a Supercharger to it, which let's face it they will, it'll be a hideously fast machine.

Regarding waiting times etc. you can configure and order yours now. I think it actually looks pretty good in black.

https://www.chevrolet.com/upcoming-v...ation-corvette

Regarding what the likes of Ferrari and Lamborghini will do better, my wild stab in the dark is probably everything in terms of tech, engineering, style etc. I mean, I just can't see a Ferrari having a lift out targa and I'm guessing the suspension on this car is nowhere near as advanced as say a 488. But it'll be less than a 1/3 of the cost of a 488 Spider, or around £175k less, for what on the face of it seems to be comparable performance in a similar (if 'low tech') package. If engineering excellence is your thing then this beast and a Ferrari or Lambo probably aren't on the same page. But if it's just about the fun then they just might be.
    Last edited by Nosevi; 29-07-2019 at 09:35 AM.

sssdu01 is offline No I'm Spartacus Committee Member
    Name
    Simon Dutton

I think the Italians will be worried about car sales in the US . Americans are very patriotic and the American petrol heads do like a stonking big V8. Choice will be a home grown V8 or an Italian thoroughbred smaller engined turbo/suprcharged/hybred/gizmo machine for 4 times the price. Looks like a no brainer for the yanks

Name
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by sssdu01 View Post
    I think the Italians will be worried about car sales in the US . Americans are very patriotic and the American petrol heads do like a stonking big V8. Choice will be a home grown V8 or an Italian thoroughbred smaller engined turbo/suprcharged/hybred/gizmo machine for 4 times the price. Looks like a no brainer for the yanks
    It does look like Chevy going mid-engine with the Corvette is a bit of a game-changer, at least over there.

I do wonder whether we’ll see American car parts and maybe even cars being built here 10 or 20 years from now simply replacing European ones currently made here if we do end up more closely aligned economically to the US than Europe.

As an aside, the US site I saw talking about import/export tariffs for cars into and out of the EU said the EU places a 10% tariff on US cars coming into the EU but European cars going into the US have a 2.5% tariff. Is that correct? Seems a little unfair on US car manufacturers if it is.

A348W is offline I have a dodgy moustache - the Ferrari 308 Club Member
    Name
    Adrian

If I lived in the states I’d have one for sure at that money...why wouldn’t you!

Over here, I think there are better things to spend your money on more suited to our roads and driving. Besides whilst it looks good, I’ll bet the interior is still horrible American plastic ( they never seem to get this right, or anywhere near German standard.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast