Thread: Mercedes SL55AMG

candellara is offline You thought the Enzo was ugly? - The Ferrari FXX Club Member
    Name
    Candellara

Default Mercedes SL55AMG

As per title, i wanted something fun for the Summer with a bit of grunt to match

I stumbled across a 2006 SL55 which i proceeded to buy.

After reading as much information as possible, i still waded in and bought the car. It's one hell of a beast in performance terms for it's age, but it doesn't come without it's potential issues - more of that later

It's as much performance in straight line terms that anyone could ever want on a UK road. It's a fantastically complex car (more of that later) but in reality lots of the scare stories are probably aimed at those who haven't been correctly initiated into the costs of running a car with that performance. I don't think there's a used car at that price point that (derestricted) can crack 200mph?

Pics and an intro into the highs and lows of running an SL55 later

EDIT: No pics yet as it's at MB being fixed for the 2nd time in 3 months
    Last edited by candellara; 16-05-2017 at 08:01 PM.

Name
    Slapshot

The auto gearbox is awful though.

candellara is offline You thought the Enzo was ugly? - The Ferrari FXX Club Member
    Name
    Candellara

Quote Originally Posted by slapshot View Post
    The auto gearbox is awful though.
    I really don't find it that bad. I guess if you take it in context of what the car is and from what era, you're more forgiving.

The car is no sports car, definitely a GT but when you consider the car was penned nearly 20 years ago, the old 5 speed auto doesn't seem so bad That said, i think most auto boxes from the late 90's were awful?

Name
    Candellara

Used the car all weekend
    Attached Images Attached Images      

MoreThanPolish is offline Only 37 known common faults - The Ferrari 355 Sponsor
    Name
    Mark Wibberley

Just had virtually the same car turn up here at my premises, a recent purchase by a local friend.

He also has a few issues with it, mostly cosmetic and old tyres but for 10 grand, its a beast

Name
    Candellara

Quote Originally Posted by MoreThanPolish View Post
    Just had virtually the same car turn up here at my premises, a recent purchase by a local friend.

He also has a few issues with it, mostly cosmetic and old tyres but for 10 grand, its a beast
    Yep, you can buy an early car for as little as 10k through to about 35k for a late, low mileage car