Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Italian Job (Italians attempting to fine the British)

geoffpfc is offline Hey look at that Peugot 406! Oh no it's a Ferrari 360 Club Member
    Name
    Geoff T

Default Not a scam?

It may not be a scam but certainly seems a bit of a "rip-off"

Article 201 of the Italian Road Traffic Code ("Nuovo codice della strada", D. Lgs. 30 april 1992 n. 285 and subsequent amendments) states that: "For residents abroad, the fine must be notified within 360 days from the infraction".

The problem is that many city administration and local police bodies have outsourced the fine notification and collection service to private companies, who send the notifications regardless of the time of the offense in the hope that the receiving party will pay up anyway.

You could be magnanimous and pay the money to a country which is in deep financial distress
    I'm not here for a long time - I'm here for a good time !

MalcH is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Club Member
    Name
    Malc Holden

Quote Originally Posted by ronrob View Post
    If the traffic offence (unintended, I know) happens in the UK, don't you just stump up immediately? If so, why should it be any different when you make the mistake abroad?
    Quote Originally Posted by francisn View Post
    +1
    I've paid this one as mentioned because it was not actually a fine. Very good of them in all seriousness considering it may have looked like I tried to avoid paying.

However the other two may well be congestion zone charges. First of all they're not very clear when you enter them from what I have read. I'm not sure what they are because they do looking at the emails I got in December 2015, look like local council fines which makes me think restricted zone?
    I genuinely believed in January this year that perhaps the hire car company were just taking another 80 Euros because who is going to question it? Still might be!

Secondly as Geoff points out above they have 360 days, some 9 months longer than other countries (Germany limit themselves to three months for example) to issue the fine. Clearly they had until December (tell you what let's give them a month for it to get through the office systems that's January this year). I have not received them so if they can't be arsed to abide by their own laws then why should I?

If they would have fined me on the day I would indeed have paid.

Quote Originally Posted by milkshaker0007 View Post
    Malc
    When we have hired a car in Europe in the past, it has an electronic tag by the rear view mirror and we were asked by the hire firm if we would be using the motorway/tolls and if so they activate it for you to your credit card, so hassle free motoring, just pay what the credit card bill is next month.
    I take it they didn't offer this to you as major hire companies all have these now a days for the toll roads.
    I don't recall but we are there again this year and I will ask for one, cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by achaddy View Post
    A few years ago we had a hire car in Tuscany and on a trip to Florence we were forced down a slip road on the inner ring road which took us into the inner town limit. We were only there for 2 minutes and about 100 mtrs as we turned around but too late. Our number plate had been caught on camera.

About 3 months later a fine came through the post, I think it was about 50 euros but I ignored it. Nothing for year and another one came through and it had doubled. Again I ignored it. They cant touch me

Then last July, probably another year later I get another from the Italian Police demanding 178 euros for non payment of fine Now, we were going to Italy again in the 360 in September and the missus got paranoid that I was at risk of being arrested if we were stopped in Italy and demanded I paid the fine. So I grudgingly did so
    That is actually my concern and despite me saying I won't pay I probably will, but they seriously need to stop with the siestas and actually do some fineing on time .

Quote Originally Posted by Leightonv8 View Post
    Hi Malc ..

This is flipping uncanny ,,, only yesterday i received a fine for a supposed non payment of a motorway toll from June 2015 .. I was definitely in Italy during that time driving a hire van for the Italian Marathon HERO rally .. I was on motorways on some stages , but i know that all the tolls were paid as i had to wait for the barriers to go up before driving through . I did however pay this supposed non payment as it was only 6.76 Euro !!! Didnt think it was worth the hassle and time for 6.76 Euro .... still amazed they took 2 years to chase 6.76 , it probably cost them more in paperwork and time ..

Hope to meet up on Epynt again one day !!!!
    Spooky.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnGTC View Post
    Italy is a bit of a mystery for me.

In Bologna I found the hotel and was directed down a side street for about 100 metres to their garage, No prohibition signs and this was obviously the hotel's usual instruction, About two months later I got a letter from Hertz, enclosing 3 police tickets, saying that they had deducted the sum demanded by the Police from my Amex card. The forms seemed to say that I had contravened a 'No Entry' on 3 separate occasions (ie each time I entered the garage).

A friend has just returned from the same region and, lo and behold, he get 3 charges. He could not identify his repeated error although he was quite familiar with the area.

I have to wonder whether this is an officially sanctioned scam. The sums were not great but given the general standard of city driving in Italy I was miffed to be charged for a trivial manoeuvre that inconvenieced no one. And, of course, the hire company pays up and makes a deduction, so an appeal is almost impossible. Do the locals pay in these circumstances or a hire cars s soft target?

I can't help thinking that the average British copper would have just 'had a word' but who knows with the universal installation of CCTV?
    I don't think they're too clear and maybe in cahoots..

Quote Originally Posted by geoffpfc View Post
    It may not be a scam but certainly seems a bit of a "rip-off"

Article 201 of the Italian Road Traffic Code ("Nuovo codice della strada", D. Lgs. 30 april 1992 n. 285 and subsequent amendments) states that: "For residents abroad, the fine must be notified within 360 days from the infraction".

The problem is that many city administration and local police bodies have outsourced the fine notification and collection service to private companies, who send the notifications regardless of the time of the offense in the hope that the receiving party will pay up anyway.

You could be magnanimous and pay the money to a country which is in deep financial distress
    I tend very much to agree.
    Last edited by MalcH; 22-05-2017 at 02:33 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12