Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: McLaren 720s vs Ferrari 488

Question McLaren 720s vs Ferrari 488

http://cars.mclaren.com/super-series/720s

Just wondering, what are members' thoughts on the new 720s?

To me it appears better than the 488. CF construction, arguably better looking, faster (higher power/weight).

More expensive though And just like the 488, no hybrid power

Thoughts guys?

Nosevi is online now I have no life Committee Member
    Name
    Nos

When you say arguably better looking than the 488 I'd like to see that argument. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that but imo it's not close to as good to look at as the Ferrari.

Name
    Carper Mike

Must admit that i was quite "smitten" when I first saw the 720S and loved the rotating instrument binnacle as a fantastic feature on a car.

Having now got over the novelty of the binnacle ( sure others will copy that inspired idea ) the car leaves me a little cold.

McLaren are just releasing too many new cars too quickly in my opinion ..... I just find them difficult to fall in love with or aspire to.
    Last edited by Carper; 18-05-2017 at 10:03 PM. Reason: spelling !

Name
    steve

Just look how far McLaren have come since the f1, I really think they are raising the bar far quicker than Ferrari, maybe too fast the 488 is only comparable to the 650s speed wise. As for looks it's up to the individual https://youtu.be/LiasBpsoio4

Angelis is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Club Member
    Name
    Sy

The 720 is ugly with those lights.

Looks so much better with a slight mod.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

candellara is offline You thought the Enzo was ugly? - The Ferrari FXX Club Member
    Name
    Candellara

Quote Originally Posted by Angelis View Post
    The 720 is ugly with those lights.

Looks so much better with a slight mod.
    The 720S is quite nice and a better looking car than the 488. I can't get on with the way Ferrari has sculpted the side intakes and doors on the 488 - it looks all wrong. The 458 was a better looking car IMO

The worst McLaren is the 570S. It is absolutely awful. Honda Civic exhaust tailpipes and a rear end that can only be described as looking like a domestic appliance. In fact, our Dyson looks nicer

Angelis is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Club Member
    Name
    Sy

Quote Originally Posted by candellara View Post
    The 720S is quite nice and a better looking car than the 488.
    Dear Moderators,

Is there anyway that we can petition for a forum ban for Jason until he comes to his senses?

Thanks

Murph7355 is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Club Member
    Name
    Murph

I quite like the rears of the later McLarens but the fronts are a disaster. Ferrari still have the edge IMO, though the mover from 458 to 488 wasn't great.

As for the McLaren's instruments, I hadn't seen the rotating binnacle before. Utter pointlessness and destined to be expensive to fix when it breaks! I'm also not fond of "flat" digital instruments. This struck me last night when I saw an S-class Merc. It looks like lazy design to me. I love the instruments in our XC90, and I think Audi do a decent job too (I quite like the latest R8 inside and out...but doubt I'd ever buy one). But some firms just seem to have stuck them on as an after thought.

F355GTS is offline Shocking waste of good kevlar - The Ferrari Enzo Club Member
    Name
    Mark Collins

Quote Originally Posted by Angelis View Post
    Dear Moderators,

Is there anyway that we can petition for a forum ban for Jason until he comes to his senses?

Thanks

He's never been the same since he sold his last Ferrari

As for the 720 it looks like a fish and ugly as sin, plus the company are a joke to deal with, I laughed when a well informed friend told me there's a large fish on the wall of the design studio

Name
    Sy

I have to say it is distinctive. Then again, so is a piece of turd on wheels.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast