Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 488 options, is there such thing as a bog base car???

Name
    430sh

Default 488 options, is there such thing as a bog base car???

I have just ordered a 488 spider to replace my 458 spider, gone with blu corsa which I love but hope it doesn't mean am stuck with it for ever!
    I have added 22k worth options, then to be called by the dealer to say ferrari are disappointed in my lower spec model and that they insist on at least 50k! of spec on a spider! madness, I have chosen what I like apart from the carbon wheel, which I have on my 458, if am honest I am only doing that as I have been told it has to have it for resale, carbon really doesnt interest me and I know when to pull a paddle without the help of an LED!!
    so my question is!
    are there 458s/488s out there that have sold at the list price with no factory options at all?? anyone seen one? would it affect used value massively and then be impossible to move?

sssdu01 is offline Rear lights like a farm gate - The Ferrari 348 Club Member
    Name
    Simon Dutton

Not sure it makes much of a difference in resale until they reach classic status. On my 430 the first owner ticked lots of extra boxes (all of them I think !!) to add 35K to the list price (10K was the carbon brakes) and when I got the car it was similar price to others of same age and miles ........It had been sat in the dealers for a while as it was the less desirable manual gearbox model that everyone said was crap

jos is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Club Member
    Name
    jos

Quote Originally Posted by 430SH View Post
    they insist on at least 50k! of spec on a spider! madness,
    See if they'll put it in writing and if not call their bluff - or cancel and buy a 570 Spider
    Last edited by jos; 12-08-2017 at 12:50 PM.

Name
    Adrian

You could always tell them in which case you are disappointed in the standard spec!! Options are where the manufacturer and dealer make their maximum profit so I'm not overly surprised they are trying to push your options list up.

I guess it depends what you want to do with the car and when if it's worth adding to. I knew a guy who got a new 911 every couple of years, always on finance and had the dealer spec his car for him so he could get maximum trade in after the two years.

If you intend to keep it for yourself, get what you want. If the dealer doesn't like it, there are always other dealers.

Nosevi is offline I have no life Committee Member
    Name
    Nos

I'd totally call their bluff - just say that's the spec I want. Ask if they can define what they mean by 'option' if it isn't optional? Do the dealers make on options they get the buyer to tick? Sounds to me a little unlikely that the factory would "insist" on a given options level and far more likely the dealer is doing.

Name
    Carper Mike

I have just ordered a 488 spider to replace my 458 spider, gone with blu corsa which I love but hope it doesn't mean am stuck with it for ever!
    I have added 22k worth options, then to be called by the dealer to say ferrari are disappointed in my lower spec model and that they insist on at least 50k! of spec on a spider! madness, I have chosen what I like apart from the carbon wheel, which I have on my 458, if am honest I am only doing that as I have been told it has to have it for resale, carbon really doesnt interest me and I know when to pull a paddle without the help of an LED!!
    so my question is!
    are there 458s/488s out there that have sold at the list price with no factory options at all?? anyone seen one? would it affect used value massively and then be impossible to move?
    Where did you spec it, with the dealer in their Atelier room or over the internet ?

I have added 22k worth options, then to be called by the dealer to say ferrari are disappointed in my lower spec model and that they insist on at least 50k! of spec on a spider! madness,
    If Ferrari really have said this, get it in writing. They have truly reached a new low here - dealer probably.

This kind of thing puts me off the brand in fact.

You are the customer and perfectly within your rights to order no extras at all, if the car were up to scratch as sold - which it ought to be!

Name
    430sh

I ordered it with the dealer, not online

Think my wording was wrong! they haven't said I can't go ahead they just told me ferrari were disappointed, I am sticking with what I ordered and dont intend to add anything to it, what I have chosen is what I want as I do intend to keep the car,
    I just wondered if there were any non option cars out there

Name
    CPD

Increasingly the luxury brands are seeking to define themselves by the option choices they offer as it's very very high margin work. Imagine what a change of paint actually costs on the production line - virtually nothing - then see what some of those options cost the consumer.

On the resale thing it has taken about ten years for the used market to wise up but options do now make a significant difference to price as long as they are done with taste. A Ferrari approved car will always have a decent number of options which is why the dealer / factory (I suspect the former) may not be thrilled with your order. Many dealers - too many in fact - see the spec process as also specififying their future used stock. I would stick with your choices and tell them to tell the factory that the options are too expensive anyway as none add much in the way of of cost or effort on behalf of Ferrari.

francisn is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Super Moderator
    Name
    Francis Newman

You might like to read this article by Michael Sheehan. Although it is primarily about Classiche the paragraph headed "New day, new rules" might go someway to explaining why the dealer wants you to buy a good no of options. The article relies to US dealers but I've no doubt it is the same here but maybe with different figures.

http://www.ferraris-online.com/pages...FOC_201707_SS3

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast