Thread: 458 left door mirror glass

Name
    Eddie Walsh

Default 458 left door mirror glass

Hi, I am new to forum as I have not had my 458 very long, and what I have done is I knocked my left door mirror on garage door as I was backing out ?? and from the bang I thought I had done some major damage !!! but luckily I just chipped some paint from the mirror housing, checked all the electrics and all worked fine, but next time I drove it I noticed the glass in the mirror was vibrating and when I got home I had a look at it and could feel some free movement ??, so my question is how to remove the glass from the Mirror Housing to check for damage, I have tried to press back in thinking it had just come off one of its clips but no good, so any help or advice much appreciated, Regards DM

Name
    Eddie Walsh

Quote Originally Posted by dinoman View Post
    Hi, I am new to forum as I have not had my 458 very long, and what I have done is I knocked my left door mirror on garage door as I was backing out ?? and from the bang I thought I had done some major damage !!! but luckily I just chipped some paint from the mirror housing, checked all the electrics and all worked fine, but next time I drove it I noticed the glass in the mirror was vibrating and when I got home I had a look at it and could feel some free movement ??, so my question is how to remove the glass from the Mirror Housing to check for damage, I have tried to press back in thinking it had just come off one of its clips but no good, so any help or advice much appreciated, Regards DM
    Hi All managed to sort it here is how if you have the same problem:

Hi, be careful taking the glass out, get as many fingers as you can behind the outside of the glass and pull ??, so after several attempts I got the glass out to have a look, and what it is is a very bad design, it has at least 6 small forward facing small plastic lugs which bend backwards when you insert the glass then they should spring forward to support the glass and keep it from vibrating, but what happens is some of these little lugs break off so that is when you will notice your glass vibrating as you drive along, so what I did was where the lugs were broken I stuck several small pieces of double sided badge tape about 3 high so they now support the glass when it is refitted ?? and seems to work great with no vibrating when driven, so save replacing these very expensive glasses, as I am sure some of these lugs are broken when they fit the glass at the factory ??, Regards DM