Thread: O/T Mercedes AMG project one

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Name
    CPD

Default O/T Mercedes AMG project one

Not since the F50 / F430 and Enzo has it been so easy to see direct F1 tech transfer to the road with Ferrari - so did Mercedes just steal Ferrari's Mojo with the project 1

When I saw the unveil I thought it the most direct and transparent transfer of F1 tech since the F50

This years F1 engine complete with electric turbo charging, KERS and all sorts of other 'now' tech...in a road car now

I must admit thinking the LaF looks Jurassic in comparison...

Thoughts?

Name
    steve

Project one has raised the bar and promises hyper performance figures but what about Aston martin's red bull collaboration Valkyrie designed by Adrian Newey I think Ferrari had better get their thinking caps on. https://youtu.be/BtbtEBX8-tk

Name
    CPD

Agree with the comment but think the V12 in the Valkyrie dates the car terribly and actually breaks the F1 for the road ethos.

The Mercedes is very interesting because it breaks the capacity and size 'arms race' we have been locked in.

A hyper revving 1.5 litre F1 engine for the road excites me more than a big V12 in terms of how technically interesting it will be.

I think seeing the Merc and the Red Bull go head-to-head but one doing 100mpg and able to run silently through cities while the other guzzles gas will show a clear fork in the road...

Ferrari needs to come with an electric car with a Screaming range extender engine now.

Nosevi is offline There's an outside too? Where? Super Moderator
    Name
    Pete

Is the problem with a hyper-revving 1.5 that they tend to blow up a lot? I'm all for F1 tech on the roads but is it not a case of how much detuning is required to make it practical? I'm guessing when you break down in one of these things the AA man is likely to be little help

Name
    CPD

Quote Originally Posted by Nosevi View Post
    Is the problem with a hyper-revving 1.5 that they tend to blow up a lot? I'm all for F1 tech on the roads but is it not a case of how much detuning is required to make it practical? I'm guessing when you break down in one of these things the AA man is likely to be little help
    Not anymore - Honda / Kawasaki / Suzuki et al have been making hyper revving engines for decades.

My last Honda red-lined at 20,000rpm

When I stripped it to have a look inside after 40,000miles it was like new.

Modern machining techniques, materials and oils mean these engines run and run so the AA man will be unnecessary unless it's not driven and the battery goes flat or something.

They have detuned it back to 15,000 rpm so easily able to do 100,000miles

sssdu01 is offline No I'm Spartacus Committee Member
    Name
    Simon Dutton

Mod If your main criteria for buying a car was the technology then you probably wouldnt buy a Ferrari, but would cream your pants at the prospect of the latest Evo 20 turbo nutter ricer with 50 on board computers.

Most people are drawn to Ferrari for emotional and ascetic reasons as well as performance.

Yep Mercedes have done F1 for the road, but the last time I looked they also made Taxi's, Lorries , etc and they just dont have the same emotional draw as Ferraris, and never will. Yes this means Ferrari can be a bit Lazy with their design or late into the technology game, but they are, in terms of emotional appeal, so far in front, the likes of Mercedes will never catch them up.

If you doubt this, park a row of every current model produced by Mercedes opposite every model produced by Ferrari - which one will have to most spectators and excited 10 year old boys ??

Also try your 20,000 rev motorbike engine in a car and it will be crap to drive as no torque, and its just hard work driving everywhere with a 1000 rev power band - the fad for bike engined caterhams/westfields etc has died a death, and if you drove one you would know why.

I am sure Ferrari will get to a small engined Hybrid turbo nutter engine, but they dont need to rush anything to remind customers that they are an F1 race team.
    Last edited by sssdu01; 26-09-2017 at 12:07 PM.

Kyodo is offline Frankenstein's monster - The Ferrari F430 Club Member
    Name
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Modificato View Post
    Not since the F50 / F430 and Enzo has it been so easy to see direct F1 tech transfer to the road with Ferrari - so did Mercedes just steal Ferrari's Mojo with the project 1

When I saw the unveil I thought it the most direct and transparent transfer of F1 tech since the F50

This years F1 engine complete with electric turbo charging, KERS and all sorts of other 'now' tech...in a road car now

I must admit thinking the LaF looks Jurassic in comparison...

Thoughts?
    I must admit it all sounds pretty awesome and I think smaller engines are on the way right across the board. I'd also be pretty sure Ferrari are, have been, or will be looking at projects like this too. Perhaps Mercedes is just the first to break cover. Let's see what happens.