Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 22

Thread: Tempted to buy a new car

  1. #11
    Kyodo's Avatar
    Kyodo is offline Frankenstein's monster - The Ferrari F430 Club Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Windsor, UK
    Name
    Mark
    Posts
    2,230

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dave964 View Post
    They are soooooo dull, I wouldn't even consider one!
    The best 'normal' car I have ever driven, they haven't been the benchmark for nothing! You don't know what you're missing

  2. #12
    dave964's Avatar
    dave964 is offline No I'm Spartacus Club Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Camberley
    Name
    Dave
    Posts
    1,452

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kyodo View Post
    The best 'normal' car I have ever driven, they haven't been the benchmark for nothing! You don't know what you're missing
    Too many years with Porsche I think (9 with a 964, 5 with a 996 turbo). They are competent but for me, they lack soul - in fact the fact that you say 'normal' is kind of my problem with them. That's how they feel!

    On the other hand, I bet the roof is more reliable....

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    England
    Name
    Mark Wibberley
    Posts
    1,235

    Default

    I think the right Boxster is a hoot and an absolute bargain.

    Yes, the 2.5, especially in paddle version is dreadfully feeble, but I had a debadged 2.7 from Porsche when I was a journo and thought it was a 3.2.

    Powerful, went where it was pointed, comfy and well engineered and tested. Which is why the roofs still work.

    For the money the older 2.7s and even 3.2s are going for now they are becoming disposable cars and a sound buy, if you're lucky. If not, they fetch decent spares money. An easy choice over a Mazda IMHO.

    I've had Porsches for 20+ years now, if you get the right one they do have soul, which means most of them over 20 years old.

  4. #14
    dave964's Avatar
    dave964 is offline No I'm Spartacus Club Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Camberley
    Name
    Dave
    Posts
    1,452

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MoreThanPolish View Post
    I think the right Boxster is a hoot and an absolute bargain.

    Yes, the 2.5, especially in paddle version is dreadfully feeble, but I had a debadged 2.7 from Porsche when I was a journo and thought it was a 3.2.

    Powerful, went where it was pointed, comfy and well engineered and tested. Which is why the roofs still work.

    For the money the older 2.7s and even 3.2s are going for now they are becoming disposable cars and a sound buy, if you're lucky. If not, they fetch decent spares money. An easy choice over a Mazda IMHO.

    I've had Porsches for 20+ years now, if you get the right one they do have soul, which means most of them over 20 years old.
    So not a Boxster then

    A few months ago, I drove my g/f's 2.7 (manual) for a week. I didn't consider Boxsters when I bought the Alfa - for the reasons I've given already - but did think that a week using her car might convince me that I'd made a mistake and should have considered them. After all, the build quality would be better, they are quicker and they are RWD.

    Within a couple of days, I knew I'd made the right decision to ignore them and it didn't change over the following week. For me, the Alfa looks far better and is more fun to drive - albeit slower.
    Much as I would happily set fire to my roof if I carried matches - I still wouldn't consider selling the Alfa and buying a Boxster. One of the important things I considered when I bought the Alfa was that it needed to be a car I would use, and I genuinely think that might be a problem with the Boxster. In fact, it was even a bit of a problem towards the end of my 996 turbo ownership and I had less cars then!

    The Mazda may not be the answer, but I suspect they are fun - and reliable - so in Spring who knows.

    From the Alfa forums, I am beginning to think that perhaps my definition of "roof not working" is wrong. I assume that if I try to open / close the roof, it should open / close. But it seems I may be being slightly optimistic, and if it opens after 5 attempts then it's worked..... "Broken" means I've tried 10 times and had to resort to manual open / closing......

  5. #15
    sssdu01 is offline No I'm Spartacus Committee Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Gloucestershire UK
    Name
    Simon Dutton
    Posts
    1,439

    Default

    I considered a Boxster when they first came out , but just couldn't bring myself to buy a car where you cant open the cover and get spanners on the engine. I know its daft, but I blame my dad as he got me Meccano when I was little.

    Got an Elise instead and boy I was pleased you could get spanners on the engine ...... it happened a lot !!!

  6. #16
    Kyodo's Avatar
    Kyodo is offline Frankenstein's monster - The Ferrari F430 Club Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Windsor, UK
    Name
    Mark
    Posts
    2,230

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dave964 View Post
    They are competent but for me, they lack soul - in fact the fact that you say 'normal' is kind of my problem with them.
    I see your point but when I said 'normal', I mean a do it all car, an everyday car. One you can actually drive from A to B rather than A to A. It can live outside, it'll always start. It's not normal in the way a typical car is, more the fact that you can treat it normally and it'll continue to deliver whilst asking for very little in return. I'm sure you know what I mean!

    But yes, each to their own. However, very very few cars have real 'soul'. I think you have one but it's not the Alfa, Cayenne or even the Aston, it's the one that lives in your garage*



    * even if it is the, ahem, wrong colour...

  7. #17
    dave964's Avatar
    dave964 is offline No I'm Spartacus Club Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Camberley
    Name
    Dave
    Posts
    1,452

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kyodo View Post
    But yes, each to their own. However, very very few cars have real 'soul'. I think you have one but it's not the Alfa, Cayenne or even the Aston, it's the one that lives in your garage*



    * even if it is the, ahem, wrong colour...
    It's a lovely colour

    The 360 definitely has something - driving it is still an event, and I still find it an exciting car to drive even after several years of ownership.

    The Aston is obviously very different but it still has something. It just feels classy when you drive it, and feels special to me.

    The alfa is cool, no question - I like the fact that it's a bit quirky.

    The Cayenne is...... er........ yeah, that one has nothing.

  8. #18
    MalcH's Avatar
    MalcH is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Astley, Manchester.
    Name
    Malc Holden
    Posts
    11,545

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kyodo View Post
    More than one MX5 fan on here Dave. Personally I'd also look at a Mk3.5, perhaps with the retractable hard top so long as it's the six speed 2.0 version. There'll be less to depreciate .We nearly did but to be honest, it didn't really feel any different to the 18 year old Mk2 car we were selling. They are great cars but in our case, you know already that we chose something different with the TT and we got so much more car for our money. All you can do is drive them and see for yourself. Let us know what the new MX5 is like. If it's anything like earlier cars, you'll simply drive & enjoy, no hassle, no worry.

    My ex-missu has a 2011 plate Black Edition from new. Red with a black folding roof. She has zero roof issues to my knowledge.
    Not sure what mileage she has done in it but it has been pretty much good. We (when we were married) had a 1998 MK2 1.6 from new which she gave to my daughter and only went about 3 years ago. Again bullet proof and with a manual roof.


    Quote Originally Posted by Mike01606 View Post
    I fallen rapidly out of love with our 2007 Z4!
    The roof packed up which is common, even guaranteed and I’ve just spent a day removing the entire roof and relocating the pump into the boot.
    I have the famous BMW ‘trifecta’ to fix next (again) which means the ABS pump has to come to pieces and then a leak on the vacuum pump to sort...
    Underpinned by a 3 series but unfortunately built in the US n:

    Ps does anyone want to buy it? It looks lovely

    Dave, I like the new MX 3 also.....maybe a bit girly though?

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffpfc View Post
    I find that my MX5 is quite easy to drift - sometimes it happens without me trying to

    l had a session with an outfit "Learn2Drift" at Brands Hatch - immense fun
    That MKII I mentioned with just a 1.6 was easy out and back rear. Bloody marvellous car to drive and you can drive it as only has about 100bhp. Proper drivers car.

  9. #19
    Murph7355's Avatar
    Murph7355 is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Here there and everywhere
    Name
    Murph
    Posts
    14,313

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dave964 View Post
    ...And if I feel brave, I will take the centre of the dash out of the Aston to replace the gears on the sat nav.
    Slight aside but this really is easy to do. Just be sensible and methodical.

    Edited to add - you don't need to take the whole dash out. You can do this just by removing the satnav portion IIRC. Videos are on the AstonMartin Bits website/youtube.
    Last edited by Murph7355; 04-11-2017 at 05:12 PM.

  10. #20
    dave964's Avatar
    dave964 is offline No I'm Spartacus Club Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Camberley
    Name
    Dave
    Posts
    1,452

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Murph7355 View Post
    Slight aside but this really is easy to do. Just be sensible and methodical.

    Edited to add - you don't need to take the whole dash out. You can do this just by removing the satnav portion IIRC. Videos are on the AstonMartin Bits website/youtube.
    Yep, I did it and it was very easy. Getting the sat nav out is literally a 5 minute job.
    Now I can continue to not use the sat nav but at least know it opens

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 20-12-2013, 06:13 AM
  2. 612, getting tempted
    By chris5150 in forum Ferrari Talk
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 20-08-2011, 07:30 PM
  3. tempted to the dark side.....hello again!
    By Moz in forum Ferrari Talk
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 11-07-2011, 06:04 PM
  4. Tempted by this as a daily driver ...
    By pdavison in forum Ferrari Talk
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 20-04-2011, 12:21 PM
  5. Tempted to do the Nurburgring?
    By spidermanUK in forum Lounge
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-01-2006, 03:09 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •