Page 28 of 30 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 LastLast

Thread: My Argento 360

achaddy is offline Only 37 known common faults - The Ferrari 355 Club Member
    Name
    Andy Chadwick

Quote Originally Posted by MalcH View Post
    : and probably better looking. I'm ****ed
    You have met him haven't you???

Mike01606 is offline Nowhere to put the shopping -The Ferrari F40 Club Member
    Name
    Mike M

Default Gear or transaxle oil

Whilst my car has the undertray off and I've got the rear in the air, I'm changing the transaxle oil as I deliberately left it off the last service and want to change it before use.

If you remember I changed the gear oil for Eni Rotra LSX 75w-90 last year and whilst there have been no issues with it whatsover, it isn't that easy to get hold of and it's expensive (no competition).
    I'd ask the recommendation question on FChat but I feel it'd be pointless as it's old ground for many and I'd get different conflicting answers.....

The factors are;
    Ferrari specify a GL-5 spec oil.
    Obviously the LSD and synchro's are in the same housing, using the same oil, so I need an oil that will lube the LSD effectively whilst not preventing proper synchro operation. Getting this balance right appears to be the challenge and the 360 synchro's appear to be a bit on the weak side.
    My car has had regular changes even before my ownership and it comes out reasonably clean. Apparently the Shell S5 comes out black if it is left in a couple of years with a few miles on it. There's either not enough in there or it is degraded very quickly by the 360 trans. That's why I'm going for higher quality oils.
    The oil needs to be yellow metal compatible again for the synchro's (which is less of a concern for me).

So my thoughts are;
    Redline 75w-90 NS GL-5 oil initially without friction modifier, but have a bottle available in case I get LSD chatter.
    Has anyone on here used this in a 360 (preferably F1) and had positive results?

Finally, why did they ban lead! (I know the reason but from fuel to valve seats to gearboxes it is sadly missed )

Name
    Mike M

Default My Argento 360

Rear end started last night but this time itíll be a lite touch.

New coil spring, top and bottom spacer (rubbers) and lower bush.

Name:  IMG_1064.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  83.5 KB

Name:  IMG_1063.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  55.4 KB

Iíve only removed the upper wishbone as Iíll do them one at a time whilst leaving the hub/driveshaft connected.
    After a clean Iíve stripped and greased the flamblocs and checked the ball joint.
    It has zero play and is in surprisingly good condition as itís original and 46k miles, so I just cleaned it out, lubricated it with PTFE dry lube and refitted the boots.

Name:  IMG_1065.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  79.7 KB

Name
    Mark

Good stuff. The strut/spring are in great condition. Are your original joint boots OK?

Name
    Mike M

Default My Argento 360

Quote Originally Posted by MWStewart View Post
    Good stuff. The strut/spring are in great condition. Are your original joint boots OK?
    Pretty good and went back in. Resealed with clear RTV silicon.

I think I said earlier the Ferrari OEM ones are Iím my opinion the best ones Iíve seen. They are the best fit and thin flexible rubber.
    When I bought the car a couple of the rear joint boots were flagged on the dealer check and Tim had them replaced. In not sure which ones though.
    So far in 5 ball joints, Iíve only replaced maybe 3 or 4 of the 10 boots. Theyíre quite expensive so why not re-use them if they are good.

Name:  IMG_1078.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  74.6 KB

The spring is a hardly-used second hand one from a set of four I bought a few years back.
    The rear suspension in general is in better condition that the front was. Maybe the under tray protects the rear better?

There was some corrosion on the old spring but not as much as the front. The OEM paint is the same as they used to use to paint 80ís jap motorbikes
    The only pic I have is my spring measurement.

Name:  IMG_1061.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  53.8 KB
    Last edited by Mike01606; 10-03-2019 at 10:13 PM.

Name
    Mark

Thanks Mike. I need four at the front so I'll order some genuine parts. I heard the Hills part doesn't fit too well.

achaddy is offline Only 37 known common faults - The Ferrari 355 Club Member
    Name
    Andy Chadwick

Quote Originally Posted by MWStewart View Post
    Thanks Mike. I need four at the front so I'll order some genuine parts. I heard the Hills part doesn't fit too well.
    I found for the life of me I couldn't get the Hills ones to fit flush so can substantiate what you have heard.

Name
    Mike M

Quote Originally Posted by achaddy View Post
    I found for the life of me I couldn't get the Hills ones to fit flush so can substantiate what you have heard.
    I think the secret it to clean the groove completely. Ideally something that softens the epoxy. Acetone doesnít touch it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Name
    Mike M

A very quiet couple of weeks as Iíve been busy with lots of other things....

The rear nearside suspension is now complete.

Name:  IMG_1222.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  59.1 KB

As a recap.....
    Iíve replaced the shock lower bush, rubber spacers and spring only.

I removed the upper wishbone, stripped and lubed the flamblocs and cleaned/lubed the ball joint, which was actually fine for now.
    The rear track control arm rod-end needs replacing and that will be done in the spring. Only because the boot is split and although you can get them separately, the joint is still the original.

I left the lower wishbone alone as it looked like Iíd need to disconnect the driveshaft to get it off or it would be much easier with the car higher in the air.
    Next winter Iíll spend more time on the rear end.

I just need to do the off-side rear to match then back on the road. Hopefully in the next couple of weeks.

Whilst he undertray is off Iíve drained the trans oil and left it for a couple of days.
    I think in 7 years this is the 8th trans oil change.
    Itís done about 3k since the last one and it comes out like this?

Name:  IMG_1224.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  49.5 KB

Generally fairly clean but with black marble like streaks through it. Maybe there is some separation as the car has pretty much stood since October.
    If you donít do it already....change annually as there is either, not enough in there for the duty or something degrades it quickly. All my other cars are lifetime fill....if Iíd been a bit more hygienic with it I may have sent it to a tribologist.

Iíll also change the coolant once Iíve ordered some Febi blue glycol concentrate.
    Any other recommendations for wet liner engines?

A348W is offline Only useful for school runs - The Ferrari 308GT4 Club Member
    Name
    Adrian

Quote Originally Posted by Mike01606 View Post
    Any other recommendations for wet liner engines?
    Get out and use it...its looking far far to clean (impressed by yours and embarrassed by mine!)

There are roads to be drive and fossil fuels to be consumed; they wont last forever apparently

Page 28 of 30 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 LastLast